Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Naga
    started a topic Of late I have mostly been reading...

Of late I have mostly been reading...

'To Kill A Mockingbird' by Harper Lee.

I feel the urge to read more classics - any recommendations?

Next up Gulliver's Travels.

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    I read the Andolu Psych book. Interesting but TBH the style was a bit turgid. Lots of abstract descriptions of the characteristics of individual tracks and ever changing line ups. Still worth a read if you are interested.

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    I'm towards the end of reading Playing the Bass with Three Left Hands by Will Carruthers:
    https://www.faber.co.uk/shop/non-fic...eft-hands.html
    ​​​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	carruthers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1048046

If you are or were ever a Spacemen 3 or Spiritualized fan, this is pretty good, and pretty well written.

I saw Spacemen 3 once and have absolutely no recollection of it.

I must have had a good time.

Anyway, an entertaining read.

Leave a comment:

• bradx
    replied
    I found volume 1 of Death Note in a chazzer for £1. This one place seems to get manga in quite a lot and I always pick em up.
    This series has to be the best I've ever read. The plot is a real head-spinner ... like an enormous logic puzzle.
    You never quite know where it's going and things you took for granted change 'round 180 degrees v quickly. The plot twists are mind-boggling, the rug is contstantly pulled from under you.
    I'm addicted and ordered the rest ... now up to vol. 5 and the whole thing is quite gripping. Worth a go if you like weird, slightly gothic horror with a really tripped-out plot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	539.4 KB ID:	1047546

I just started watching the Netflix film adaptation, but it's a real load of old bollocks. They simplified the plot to moron level and set the film in the US.
    I wouldn't bother with it.
    Last edited by bradx; 11-11-2018, 09:50 AM. Reason: added Netflix comment

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Ha, just started it myself, About 100 pages in. Bit silly, but enjoyable so far. Was given all three the other day by my sister (5.99 for the set on bookpeople website)

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    had these pointed out to me today

Andrew Cartmel - Vinyl Detective series

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Detec...1238381&sr=1-3

anyone read any?
    Reading Written in Dead Wax now. It's looking good for three reasons, he likes jazz, he likes proper coffee and he likes vinyl.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    had these pointed out to me today

Andrew Cartmel - Vinyl Detective series

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Detec...1238381&sr=1-3

anyone read any?

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Just finished "Infinite Jest" and am in the speculating. About what the hell actually happened / will happen.

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    I've finally started reading Mark Helprin's "Winter Tale" - pictured in a previous post - and I am enjoying it greatly. It brings to mind "Little, Big" by John Crowley, another book that intertwined fantastic realms with whimsical Americana - and also echoes of Mervyn Peake and John Barth. Self-indulgent, twee, sumptuous and magnificent.

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Nice site!

My book buying is almost as bad as my record collecting.

Sonovox: Love Sebald. Rrings of Saturn is an amazing, dizzying book. Think I've read one other (Austerlitz perhaps).

I've just got through the bio of Sun Ra.

Amazing!

As recommended on here. One of the best music books I've read. Totally focused and absorbing look at the man in context, in time, in space.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    I wasn't sure where to post this literary equivalent of the Waxi Boners collection:

http://awfullibrarybooks.net/

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    WG Sebald "The Rings Of Saturn". Just to Part V. Wonderful, his work had totally passed me by until now.

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    I've been struggling through Alfred Jarry's "Day & Nights" - it was my bedtime read and worked a treat, however it is now my journey into work book and I'm doing ok. I guess if you drank as much absinthe as this fellow did you would be dead in your early 30s...

Leave a comment:

• Mr Naga
    replied

I've been reading a lot of comics recently and Harrow County is worth a look if you like horror comics. It's beautifully drawn too.

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied

No replies as yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X