Twitchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitchers

Anyone else see the BBC4 doc on twitching?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?...sh%20Obsession

It was fascinating. Me and my girlfriend had fun replacing the word bird with record, and the words twitching/birding with record collecting.

"Welcome to the very competitive world of the twitcher - obsessives who'll stop at nothing to get their bird."

I didn't see the documentary but I did see a kestrel perched on the telephone post outside my window this morning, lovely feller!
    MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Originally posted by ashra View Post
      I didn't see the documentary but I did see a kestrel perched on the telephone post outside my window this morning, lovely feller!
      Always good to see a kestrel.

Saw a nuthatch last weekend, delightful.

Seriously, watch the doco if you can. It's not about birds, it's about seriously obsessive men (mainly) who collect things. In this case, bird sightings.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded Claw View Post
        Seriously, watch the doco if you can. It's not about birds, it's about seriously obsessive men (mainly) who collect things. In this case, bird sightings.
        Is THAT a selling point to you?!?
        http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
        http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
        http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Comment

Where I grew up in Cumbria, friends had set up their own hospitals to take care of birds that had been hit by traffic. To spend some time with Kestrels, Owls and the like is something else. Beautiful things, fragile as hell.

Comment

Always good to see a kestrel.

Saw a nuthatch last weekend, delightful.
            I saw a woodpecker for the first time last summer in my garden hammering away at my lawn. Never seen one before.

Couldn 't believe how big it was!
            <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
              I saw a woodpecker for the first time last summer in my garden hammering away at my lawn. Never seen one before.

Couldn 't believe how big it was!
              also seen only one woodpecker,very rare nowadays,plenty of parrots in a certain erith rugby club never seen a kingfisher to date
              ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

Originally posted by Bud Peyote View Post
                Is THAT a selling point to you?!?
                Yeah. Oddly I thought it would be of interest to obsessive people who go to great lengths to collect things. Evidently not?

Too close to the bone perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
                  also seen only one woodpecker,very rare nowadays,plenty of parrots in a certain erith rugby club never seen a kingfisher to date
                  Get yerself to Bedfordshire. We got woodpeckers and kingfishers up the yingyang.

Actually not seen a kingfisher for a while but they are stunning when you do.

Comment

Obsession is obsession: and this is definitely great. Thanks.

Sometimes, when I'm working on the computer a bird comes sits on the windowsill, two feet away from me through the glass. I find this shocking. It doesn't matter what the species is, it's the sheer proximity of these glass-eyed weird jerky maggot-eating flying creatures that blows me away.
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Birdwatching rocks. I am big time into our feathered friends.
                      Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                        It doesn't matter what the species is, it's the sheer proximity of these glass-eyed weird jerky maggot-eating flying creatures that blows me away.
                        They are little dinosaurs, and I too have always been very keen on them.

I went to the Farne islands in the 90s on the day after a rare tern had been reported on twitchers sites, and there were about eight blokes with equipment that surveillance operators in the US army would envy, most of whom had travelled hundreds of miles, all training their telescopes on a little bird that had a slightly more creamy-coloured breast than the others.

There's loads of hoopoes and kestrels here, and you don't have to go far to see a grey shrike but my favourites are Bertelots Pipits. They flutter after you when you walk looking for food under the pebbles you've dislodged.

Saw a peregrine a couple of years ago, too. Mad flying skillz.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                          They are little dinosaurs, and I too have always been very keen on them.

I went to the Farne islands in the 90s on the day after a rare tern had been reported on twitchers sites, and there were about eight blokes with equipment that surveillance operators in the US army would envy, most of whom had travelled hundreds of miles, all training their telescopes on a little bird that had a slightly more creamy-coloured breast than the others.

There's loads of hoopoes and kestrels here, and you don't have to go far to see a grey shrike but my favourites are Bertelots Pipits. They flutter after you when you walk looking for food under the pebbles you've dislodged.

Saw a peregrine a couple of years ago, too. Mad flying skillz.
                          That's what I'm talking about. These guys will travel hundreds of miles to get a look at rare bird and tick it off a list, a lot of them don't even seem that bothered about the birds, just the acquisition of a siting. There's a scene where 200 people are crowded round a hedge trying to see a bird about the size of a goldcrest (can't remember what it was).

I love birds too, but I didn't realise how distinct twitching was from bird watching!!

Wow, would love to see a grey Shrike, they are beautiful!

Comment

Get yerself to Bedfordshire. We got woodpeckers and kingfishers up the yingyang.

Actually not seen a kingfisher for a while but they are stunning when you do.
                            i saw one as a kid and still remember it to this day.. incredibly beautiful.

birds of prey are amazing too.. the way they ride the breeze to hover over an area before sighting their target

and of course as musicians birds got the mad drama breakz
                            Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

I used to love birdwatching as a child but had totally forgotten about it until I went on holiday to the Hebrides with my parents last year. There we saw - among other things - a golden eagle, gyrfalcon, corncrake (mad raer) and some ospreys on the way back. Really got into it again, it was fucking great.

Comment

Working...
                              X