Swords & Sorcery Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swords & Sorcery Films

Just watched the trailer to the Conan remake and it made me want to watch the original.

I know we've done Post-Apocalypse flilms, but anybody got any recommendations for classic 80s Dungeons & Dragons type films?

Here one to get the ball rolling

MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Ruggero Deodato gave us not one, but two (identical twins) Barbarians:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Oh yeah - Joe D'Amato (of course) made a series of movies about Ator, they're pretty stupid too:

Comment

Excellent thread.

Here's a couple of my faves, there's lots of fun Roger Corman-produced ones:

This predates the Conan stuff but has some absolutely amazing spooky / weird sets, achieved with some back-lit cut outs and dry ice. Recommended Hercules goes to Hell to beat up Christopher Lee. More here:

I've banged on about it before, but this is the daddy for me:

Nightmareish fever dream of rampaging, sexually threatening wookies ripping women in half and metal headed sorceresses conjuring up loads of weird monsters for the protagonist to fight, all to a thumping, repetitive synth score by claudio Simonetti - plus loads of gore. Love it

I've watched a bunch recently that haven't quite hit the spot... such as "Throne of Fire" (too boring), "Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell" (not enough actors - lonely vibe), "Hawk theSlayer" (too much like 'Maid Marion and her Merrymen'... poor old Jack Palance) etc...
        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Wouldn't Hercules be a Sword & Sandal movie as opposed to Sword & Sorcery?

Another early one that's mytholigical more than fantasy but still great is Jason & the Argonauts. I still remember watching it on TV when I was a little kid and being awed at the special fx - especially the skeleton fight. This was 1963! It still looks amazing imo and I still prefer proper fx to CGI any day:

Comment

Forgot about this Indonesian bomb:

Great fun. Loads of bad SFX and martial arts.. .there's a few other films in the series i haven't seen yet ("blind warrior" etc...)
            Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Got the soundtrack to Conquest but not seen the film. Looks like a hard one to find a torrent for (unless you want Jenna Jameson in the starring role) - do you tend to watch these on DVD / VHS or do you know of somewhere good to download them from?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Comment

Originally posted by ashra View Post
                Got the soundtrack to Conquest but not seen the film. Looks like a hard one to find a torrent for (unless you want Jenna Jameson in the starring role) - do you tend to watch these on DVD / VHS or do you know of somewhere good to download them from?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
                I tend to buy lots of DVDs cheaply, as i can never find the stuff i want on torrents for the most part. I'd love to know of some reliable sources for downloads of this sort of cult/fringe crap?

I'm sure Conquest will only cost you around a fiver om amazon... Well worth it.
                Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                  I'm sure Conquest will only cost you around a fiver om amazon... Well worth it.
                  Ha ha, in that case i'm gonna go for it!

Comment

Working...
                  X