A weird insight into the world of other collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A weird insight into the world of other collectors

Took the bus home and sat next to a girl at my job and she told me she used to collect My Little Pony. Not only was I shocked to hear that but also that when she sold her collection she estimated she got between £5000-£10000 for it!

But that was nothing compared to the shock she gave me when she told me a lot of the collector girls had tired of the hobby since 2009 when the manufacturer decided to update the brand by hiring a feminist to create tougher and less cute ponies. The result was that the fading fanbase started to grow again - a lot - but it was not little girls but young adult men taking a liking to them. Calling themselves bronies they invaded the girlie hobby, some of them bringing in sexual context - some of it quite disgusting (she directed me towards a website I wish I hadn't seen) and started scaring away the old collectors... now most of the old forums are quite dead and she bought aquariums instead.

Anyone else have a weird insight into the world of collecting?
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

It's dark out there, isn't it?
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

The "bronies" thing is to do with the My Little Pony cartoon - "Friendship is Magic". This is recent cartoon that has been self-consciously created so it can be read in two ways - both as a kids programme but also appealing to older adult geeks/anime fans. It's a bit like something like Buffy in this regard.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

A feminist designed this to be tougher and less cute?
        All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Now that I checked it out a bit more, maybe feminist is a bit strong a word but they apparently wanted to get rid off the "sexist stereotypes" and thus hired someone (Lauren Faust) who was concerned with this...

Comment

Is irony becoming a disease? The articles I've read about don't pinpoint what it is the bronies like, just that they like it.
            Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 23-07-2012, 04:38 PM.
            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post

A feminist designed this to be tougher and less cute?
              At least two of those ponies have evil Bratz eyebrows.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Last edited by Cacapo; 23-07-2012, 04:40 PM.
                All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I wanna be a Bronie too.

At least it's not as bad as feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                    Is irony becoming a disease?
                    Trying to think of fantastic ironic music. Pavement?
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Google is your friend.

Comment

I think it's to do with the fact that youngsters are unable to rebel in the time-honoured ways anymore, as their parents have already been there done that with drugs, rock music, tattoos etc.

However, imagine the plight of a parent who discovers their son is a brony.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I asked her and apparently it's not irony. They just like the cartoons. But are often on the nerdy/geeky side and like other cartoons too - just some of them become obsessed with MLP and others by other cartoons...

Comment

Comment

I may show this to the empress who will either sigh with relief at how much worse it could be and fully endorse my record collecting habits or turn up at home with blue body paint for the weekend.
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X