Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recorder for making MP3s from Mixer?

Hello all

I currently use an ikey connected directly to my mixer to convert my records and do mixes straight onto memory sticks which I then plug straight into my mac but I am getting sick fed up of the sticks corrupting – it doesn’t help that you can’t tell this is going to happen until you’ve finished the recording and then plug it into the computer – drives me insane! Happened to me twice this week already!!!

Anyway – what I want is a recording device which I can plug into my mixer and it will fashion me an MP3 file which I can then dump into my mac. Ideally you should be able to see that the file is actually recording. I don’t want to record directly onto the mac as they are in different rooms. I saw a nifty looking gadget at Byker Groove this year which was used to record the evening – it was a Korg gadget but I’ve not idea what it was called and some light googling has not helped. I’m looking to spend around £100 on this as I use it constantly. I know there are a lot of more technically minded folk on the board so suggestions would be most welcome!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

I have the later ikey M3, it uses SDHC cards instead of sticks, has a digital display so you can play what you have recorded. Pricey over hear, but I got mine on amazon US for about 65USD and got a friend to bring it back here. It does not come with a power cable or charge batteries like the old one, you can pop to maplin with the device and ask them for a power supply for it though

http://www.ikey-audio.com/m3

Best I can find at the moment is 80 USD
    http://www.amazon.com/Ikey-M3-Conden...ywords=ikey+M3
    My Mixcloud

Comment

Thanks for that - looks good - couple of questions - how does it connect to the mixer? Does it have hmv audio inputs? Also how do you then dump the files into the mac?
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
        how does it connect to the mixer? Does it have hmv audio inputs?
        Just a mini jack input so you will need a phono to mini jack lead

how do you then dump the files into the mac?
        You can either plug the unit into your mac using a USB cable, or if your mac has a card reader you can just pop out the SD card and put it in your mac
        My Mixcloud

Comment

Hello all
          I’m looking to spend around £100 on this as I use it constantly. !
          Or alternatively Lee, you could get a second hand/cheap recording software program like Logic 8 lite, which will not only let you record directly into your Mac with a USB cable/jack but you can then make edits such as cutting out bits you don't need and altering the sound, EQ stuff, make it soud cleaner or dirtier depending on what you want. Bonus is, you can also do complete mixes and then add effects and voice overs etc etc as it's just a case of adding more audio channels.
          This is more 'creative' and interesting in an experimental way, but can also be good for using on the fly quickly.
          Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Working...
          X