Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviewees wanted to discuss record collecting

Hello All.

Deepdownheavy here - you may remember me from such hits as Melter and Deepdownheavy's CSC last year (the one with the trump cards).

Some of you that I've met in the real world may well already know this but for those I haven't, I'm currently writing my PhD about record collecting. I've been on it a few years part time and the time has come to do some interviews.

If you're reading this then you fall within my remit of being 'a collector', regardless of how many posts you make or how big, small, amateur or professional you consider your collecting/collection.

I should also say that interviews will be conducted in the most convenient way for you - email, skype, phone or face to face - so all are welcome.

If you would be willing to help me out and to be interviewed PM me here to get started. If you'd like to find out more, reply to the thread and I'll be happy to answer questions.

Thanks
    Last edited by Deep Down Heavy; 23-10-2012, 07:25 PM.

Sure.
    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Here's an (ex) member of the board you won't have to interview
      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post

Here's an (ex) member of the board you won't have to interview
        Was he the one who got on his high horse about religion? Surprised he only has 500 LPs and 100 little ones if he spends all that time looking. Gets very geeky between 5.25 and 6.20.
        Boy George knew my father

Comment

Originally posted by ninja simone View Post
          Was he the one who got on his high horse about religion? Surprised he only has 500 LPs and 100 little ones if he spends all that time looking. Gets very geeky between 5.25 and 6.20.
          He was banned for being a thoroughly unpleasant individual keen to share his views on how different races of human being should never be allowed to co-exist. I fondly remember Hugh's ironic line 'Ah yes. Spoons in the spoon drawer. Forks in the fork drawer.....'.

DeepDownHeavy.....happy to help in any way whatsoever by phone, Skype, plane, boat, train.

Come on folks. Help the fella out?
          <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Hi Simon - good to read you're ready to go with this. Original offer of support still stands..!

I personally like the idea of sitting a room floor-to-ceiling full of records explaining to someone "no, really, I don't have a problem..."
              If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Hit me up if you want. Always happy to chat. I think my collecting such as it is, is directly related to what else is going on in my life.
                "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Aye Simon - good to hear you are ready to go with this, and I am happy to be interviewed too! How long are you around for?
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I'd be happy to help
                    i remember when it was all fields round here....

http://www.mixcloud.com/groovywoovy/

Comment

I posted in the show us your collection (a little item was done by a Welsh youth program)

i'd be happy to be of service
                      sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far - It really is appreciated.

As a taster for anyone who might be curious as to what I might be on about, part of this is about how nostalgia might figure in record collecting... today I read this in a book called 'Nostalgia: Sanctuary of Meaning" which made me snort tea through my nose before quickly writing it down and wishing I had too much leisure time...

"Rummaging through the minutiae of the past, real or imagined is a narcissistic pastime for those with too much leisure time"

thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Down Heavy View Post
                          thoughts?

what would Eric Adams do..?

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I do think that there is at least a grain of truth in that quote (who is it from?)
                            All hobbies are about providing pleasure for the person who pursues them - whether its sports or collecting - and therefore it is in some way about making yourself happy
                            But I'm not sure that record collecting, or indeed any other form of collecting, can be singled out as more of less narcissistic than any other hobby - perhaps with the exception of bodybuilding!
                            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                              I do think that there is at least a grain of truth in that quote (who is it from?)
                              All hobbies are about providing pleasure for the person who pursues them - whether its sports or collecting - and therefore it is in some way about making yourself happy
                              But I'm not sure that record collecting, or indeed any other form of collecting, can be singled out as more of less narcissistic than any other hobby - perhaps with the exception of bodybuilding!
                              The quote is from C.M Cameron and J.B. Gatewood "The Authentic Interior: Questing Gemeinschaft in Post-industrial Society" in Human Organization 53 (1994)
                              although I read it in Janelle L. Wilson's book "Nostalgia: Sanctuary of Meaning" (2005)

It isn't directly about collecting (records or anything else) but I guess I was taken with the "rummaging through the minutiae of the past" element.

... wait - record collecting makes you happy?

Comment

Working...
                              X