NRR: Best books on the 50s & 60s UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRR: Best books on the 50s & 60s UK

Xmas present related - I like getting my Mum books and so forth about the time in which she grew up. Any recommendations? I'm particularly interested in photography books. She grew up in London, so that'd be the most relevant. Popular history could also get a look in, but I'm more interested in the socio-cultural level than the political. Any recommendations? I thought a board full of retrophiliacs like this would be overflowing with info.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
    Xmas present related - I like getting my Mum books and so forth about the time in which she grew up. Any recommendations? I'm particularly interested in photography books. She grew up in London, so that'd be the most relevant. Popular history could also get a look in, but I'm more interested in the socio-cultural level than the political. Any recommendations? I thought a board full of retrophiliacs like this would be overflowing with info.
    How about this one?

Comment

Daniel Farson was a dude!
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Cheers, keep them coming!
        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
          Daniel Farson was a dude!
          Indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
            Indeed!
            Cool!

One of my fave trashy novels:

(Probably not suitable for your Mum BDC, although it does have a lot of Highgate in it)
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Thanks gents! Keep 'em coming people...

Comment

Not a picture book, but Colin MacInnes, 'England, Half-English' is an occasionally brilliant collection of essays about the England - really the London, since I doubt he ever ventured much outside the bounds of the future M25 -that was changing before him during those years. Much better than his novels, and if she was in anyway hip at the time, she'd likely recognise herself somewhere in its pages.

The OG 'Generation X' is also a good read. And Len Deighton's 'London Dossier'
                Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Also not picture books and also not just about London but check out the work of Dominic Sandbrook, Alwyn W. Turner and Arthur Marwick. The latter has done this picture book but I don't know it:

Must be loads of London books by local authors too, if you want to be specific to a place?

Comment

it doesn't have much in the way of pictures, but I rather enjoyed this...does your mum like her socio-cultural history with lashings of sordid goings-on?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...y-miles-review

Comment

Working...
                    X