Recommend a record deck for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a record deck for me!

I've had a Marantz deck that I got from Richer Sounds for God knows how long now - at least ten years.
    It is, however, slowly giving up the ghost and running slow, making weird noises, etc.
    Being whatever the opposite of an audiophile is, I know sweet FA about decks and such like.
    Can anyone recommend a deck for listening at home pleasures?
    I thank you.
    To infinity - and beyond!

I've had Rega Planar decks for a long while now, and see no reason to change. Having said that, the drive belt has to be changed manually from 45 to 33, which some people may find a bit of a pain, but I'm used to it. Not a lot to go wrong with them really. I'm no expert by any means, but I reckon it's a pretty solid turntable. I had a RP 2, and the one I have now is a 3. Don't know what number they are up to now. Mine gets pretty heavy usage, and it's fine. The belts are pretty cheap to replace. I picked up the latest one second hand for £75, and it's good as gold.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

I've had various Pro-ject decks over the years and have never had a problem. The first was the original Debut which also had the manual speed change thing - not sure if it's still the same on the newer models - but you quickly become accustomed to it. I eBayed that after a few years and got back almost as much as I'd originally paid for it new
      North of the River Cole

Comment

I have the new-ish Project Debut Carbon (had it about a year) and it's been very good. Carbon fibre tonearm. Motor is suspended in sorbothane, damping any vibration - much better than the old Debut model which could pick up some motor rumble.

Yes, as per RedX you have to lift the platter and manually change the belt to switch between 33 and 45rpm. Not a problem for me, but it is worth noting that the Speed Boxes that they sell to automate and regulate speed changes are NOT compatible with the Debut Carbon deck in the UK, so there's no way to simplify speed changes by adding one.

Comment

I would heartily recommend Project & Rega too but I'm such an insufferable ponce that the sleek, modern look of both ruled them out for my front room so I had to get an older looking thing.

I was tempted with the Linn Sondek but I really don't have that kind of money to spend.

I went with a Thorens TD160b MkII, it's a lovely thing and it plays records, now at both speeds after unknowingly struggling for at least a year with the wrong size belt on it. Has really nice chunky switch to change speed & a modern Rega tonearm & Ortofon 2m red needle. Sounds great too.. probably (I can't really tell past a certain point). Cost a couple of hundred quid & there's usually plenty around on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
            Having said that, the drive belt has to be changed manually from 45 to 33, which some people may find a bit of a pain, but I'm used to it.
            Originally posted by RedX View Post
            ...which also had the manual speed change thing - not sure if it's still the same on the newer models - but you quickly become accustomed to it.
            I have a Rega too - to get around the manual speed change (lift off platter / fiddle with drive belt) which to be honest is a pain if you play more than the odd 45 (or vice versa) - I bought one of these:

Orbit 'off-board turntable power supply' - one of the advantages being a push button speed change.
            "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

Comment

MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Technics deck... looks kind of cluttery-industrial. Built like a tank, sure, but unless you're DJing, who needs a pitch adjuster, strobe dots, and a pop-up light?

I have one in the living room, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post
                    I would heartily recommend Project & Rega too but I'm such an insufferable ponce that the sleek, modern look of both ruled them out for my front room so I had to get an older looking thing.

I was tempted with the Linn Sondek but I really don't have that kind of money to spend.

I went with a Thorens TD160b MkII, it's a lovely thing and it plays records, now at both speeds after unknowingly struggling for at least a year with the wrong size belt on it. Has really nice chunky switch to change speed & a modern Rega tonearm & Ortofon 2m red needle. Sounds great too.. probably (I can't really tell past a certain point). Cost a couple of hundred quid & there's usually plenty around on ebay.
                    I've got the Thorens too. I thought about Rega, because they're at the cheap end, but I didn't want a manual belt shift. I bought it for no better reason than I wanted something which had worked for years and would carry on for years plus, as you say, I can't afford a Linn. It's the same as a Linn anyway and I believe Thorens had the suspended sub-chassis before Linn did. If money were no object I'd get one of those two ton Denon direct-drive jobbies from the 80s. How about sticking with Marantz? Have you got £1500?
                    http://www.hifigear.co.uk/marantz-tt...turntable.html
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I tried "Upgrading" my living room deck to an old Thorens TD150MK2 and a reasonable needle, to be a bit more audiophile from the technics.

It did sound great, but was far less forgiving then my technics, it would jump and get stuck on records far too often, and the needles seemed to break easily, and 33/45 switch was a little unforgiving as well, I often had to start on 33, then when upto speed switch up to 45. I eventually gave up and went back to my technics. Obviously this is just my experience with the kind of butterfingered approach I have.

So if you want something fiddly, that you have to be careful with but sounds great, then a vintage reference deck like the Thorens is great
                      Otherwise if you want something that is bullet proof and just works, then go for technics with good DJ carts such as ofoton or white label, it will still sound great, but maybe missing 1 or 2% over something like the thorens.

I bought my 2 second hand about 15 years ago and have not had any problems with them
                      My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                        THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

Yes, this one.

Sounds as good as any high fi record player, and built to last!

Comment

Originally posted by Moogaloo View Post
                          I tried "Upgrading" my living room deck to an old Thorens TD150MK2 and a reasonable needle, to be a bit more audiophile from the technics.
                          For God's sake man! You mustn't say 'needle'. You'll have the audiophile police on your case before you can say, "faster bass response on the low end".
                          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                            I've had a Marantz deck that I got from Richer Sounds for God knows how long now - at least ten years.
                            It is, however, slowly giving up the ghost and running slow, making weird noises, etc.
                            Being whatever the opposite of an audiophile is, I know sweet FA about decks and such like.
                            Can anyone recommend a deck for listening at home pleasures?
                            I thank you.
                            H - Does the belt need changing? I'm presuming it's not direct drive?
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                              H - Does the belt need changing? I'm presuming it's not direct drive?
                              If it is the belt or might be apparently plunging belts in boiling hot water gives them a bit more life, might be worth ago without spending any cash?
                              My Mixcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X