Rise and shine: the daily routines of history's most creative minds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise and shine: the daily routines of history's most creative minds

Benjamin Franklin spent his mornings naked. Patricia Highsmith ate only bacon and eggs. Marcel Proust breakfasted on opium and croissants. The path to greatness is paved with a thousand tiny rituals (and a fair bit of substance abuse) – but six key rules emerge:

In the Guardian today.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

that "most viewed" thing in the Guardian mobile app is a bit odd.

the story you've referenced appears today, but is from Saturday October 5th...

interesting nonetheless. benzedrine unites Kerouac and Ayn Rand. lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
      that "most viewed" thing in the Guardian mobile app is a bit odd.
      Oops...I didn't clock the date. I posted it because very early in the morning is my favourite time of the day for doing anything vaguely creative and always has been. Quiet. Calm. Fuzzy but fresh.

Sadly the 'genius' bit hasn't arrived yet and I still take much longer to finish anything than anyone else I know.

Any other early risers / early workers here for me to befriend? Maybe we could start an early risers social group to tweet, ring, email and chat to each other from 4am onwards, thereby destroying everything we like about that time of the day but gaining a good excuse for not being geniuses / geniuii.
      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

This morning I arose ,bathed, breakfasted on coffee and sausage rolls, smoked a reefer went back to bed. Genius.
        record licker

Comment

Fishing is the only thing worth getting up early for.

One day when I was 18 I leapt out of bed, ran down to the canal, landed five handsome jack pike up to five pounds on a plug, came home, had a shower, went to school and took two A 'levels (an A and a B).

Your neck of the woods is full of pike, Ian. And eels, which are delicious.

Imagine the joy of your loved ones as they stumble blearily into the kitchen to find you skinning an eel on a hook for a special breakfast
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
            Sadly the 'genius' bit hasn't arrived yet and I still take much longer to finish anything than anyone else I know.
            No shit.
            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
              No shit.

Comment

My alarm goes off at 4.00 AM tomorrow . At this time of year it is completely zero fun, however around May, June and July it is more often a total joy. Usually the blackbird wakes me up to beautiful skies, cool fresh air and the feeling that the day belongs to me. Simply the greatest time of day.

If I was a genius or a creative type I'd certainly be super productive - work would be completed by 9.00 AM and the rest of the day could be spent in a drug addled stupor or maybe just pootling around the veg patch.

Glad to know I'm not the only early riser
                Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Interesting read, thanks for posting! I used to appreciate work getting me in the routine of waking up early but now I've slipped out of that habit. The only one of those six rules I do adhere to is the systematic substance abuse. Already planning tomorrow's early morning naked cycle though.

Comment

I'm the opposite, feeling most alert and productive between 12-2 am. If you'll excuse me, I have work to do now.
                    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Where's everyone at? After listening to some Johann Johannsson, and waiting for the sun to come up, I shall be off into the garden with a chainsaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumbles View Post
                        the rest of the day could be spent in a drug addled stupor and just pootling around the veg patch.
                        fixed

Originally posted by kestrel blazer View Post
                        After listening to some Johann Johannsson, and waiting for the sun to come up, I shall be off into the garden with a chainsaw.
                        Sounds like the plot of an Aki Kaurismaki film
                        https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                        http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                        https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                        https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                          I'm the opposite, feeling most alert and productive between 12-2 am. If you'll excuse me, I have work to do now.
                          Same here, mornings are when you realize the creative thoughts you had last night at 3am are actually mental.
                          -
                          You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                          but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

Working...
                          X