Dave Allen In Search Of The Great English Eccentric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Allen In Search Of The Great English Eccentric

Watched this last night. Not quite The Moon And The Sledgehammer, but brilliant in itself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ish_Eccentric/
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

amazing and highly recommended - still reeling from that couple with the model railway !!
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation Ian. I just watched this on i-player and really enjoyed it.

My favourite was the would be WW2 pilot and inventor. I wonder if he ever recorded any of the music he was working on?

It was great to see Cambridge legend Snowy Farr featured. He was a lovely old fella. When he died they held a competition to design a statue in his memory and this load of old crap won

it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
      take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

The would be pilot and inventor is Bruce Lacey. Interesting CV, to say the least.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

As celebrated by Fairport Convention.

Comment

The man is a legend, and a true free spirit. Went to an exhibition of his life and work a year or two back, and it was pretty amazing. A very interesting character (understatement!).

When they were making that sculpture of Mr Snowy in Cambridge, it was surrounded by screens to stop the public seeing what was being created. You can see why! It's shit! Says nothing to me at all about the man.

Never thought of myself as an Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
              My favourite was the would be WW2 pilot and inventor. I wonder if he ever recorded any of the music he was working on?
              Yes, A great watch last night. Sent me off on the internet reading up on Dave Allen, and putting a name to the pilot/inventor. Reading his wiki entry (last para) it seems as if Bruce Lacey is still trying to perfect his "vox humana" after all these years. And also after all these years is evidently still a Bowie fan (I spotted the cover of Pin Ups in his "shed").

Also I read there has been another Dave Allen + Eccentrics show found (Eccentrics At Play first broadcast 30/12/74) I read. Hope that gets an airing sometime.
              http://wipednews.com/features/raymon...ostarchives11/

Comment

Can I just say a huge thank you for recommending this.
                I know nothing about Dave Allen and this would've totally passed me by.
                If anyone wants to school me further on Dave Allen, please do!

Anyway, a wonderful, wonderful view and one that threw up loads of questions.
                Also featuring amazing Ivor Cutler footage.

With many of these characters, they seemed to walk a very fine between out-and-out madness, eccentricity and a sort of visionary mysticism.
                The guy with the mice and the cats and everything reminded me slightly of my encounter with Bill Fay last year, in his 'heaven in a wild flower' take on the world.
                And it all got me thinking (a) how many of these guys were in some way processing war damage and (b) whether we've somehow lost these characters?
                Do they just not exist in the same way any ire? And if not, why not?
                Or are they simply more marginalised, less accepted and tolerated, seen as more sinister?

Oh, and if anyone knows what the music was when the Eastbourne Sioux Indian guy appeared was, spill the beans!
                To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Essential 70s viewing, Dave Allen At Large. Should be loads all over the web.
                  You know this of course

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                    Never thought of myself as an Ian
                    Sorry Paul! For some reason I got it in my head that Mr Townsend had started the thread
                    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

I knew a lad who was part of a film crew in the mid-90s that was making a series about America, presented by Dave Allen, that ultimately never got made.
                      He went over twice, as far as I remember. One shoot involved a gun nut whose way of breaking the ice was to let everyone fire Uzis into the desert for a while.
                      Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                        Watched this last night. Not quite The Moon And The Sledgehammer, but brilliant in itself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ish_Eccentric/
                        Watched this last night - haven't seen it since watching it with my Dad when it was first on the TV.

Fantastic proper old school telly.

Comment

Ivor Cutler laughing at his own song is my favourite entertainment moment of 2014 so far.
                          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Lawks, that was a close one; thank God for VG+ and Treeboy. Nearly missed this. I love Dave Allen and I saw it listed but I just assumed it was one of those awful talking heads programmes where they ask people about one performer or another, and then edit together hundreds of 10 second segments to make a 'programme'. This is exactly the opposite- ask someone a question and then let them talk. What I wouldn't give to have a hat like Snowy's.
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

What I wouldn't give to wander down through Lion Yard, and bump into a gang of amazed kids surrounding the old fella! He inhabited a strange world where cats and mice "got on", I never got my head around that, a very bizarre spectacle if you ever came across it.
                              The hat was pretty cool though, I'll give you that

Comment

Working...
                              X