Favourite Children's Book Illustrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Children's Book Illustrations

I really liked the Stuart Simpson stuff Fuz posted up. When she was younger my daughter loved the illustrations in Each Peach Pear Plum.

I was a fan of Ronald Searle and his How To Be Topp series.

Did we have a thread on kid's books before???
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Having just become a father I have been purchasing books for my son's nursery library. Amongst them is Maurice Sendak, and on a VG+ TIP MEL DIETERMEIR,the illustrator who did the original artwork for Stark Reality's Cover
    sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

The illustrations for East of The Sun, West of The Moon by Kay Nielsen are some of my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
        I really liked the Stuart Simpson stuff Fuz posted up. When she was younger my daughter loved the illustrations in Each Peach Pear Plum.
        The Ahlberg´s Peepo is a terrific toddlers book, with a moving subtext that adults will understand.

Janosch is a German institution, and I´m happy that his anarchic, slouching creatures and the iconic tiger-duck, as well as the East German Sandman TV shorts were an important part of my son´s early life.

The illustrator that has always stayed with me is Brian Wildsmith. His colour work, technique and characterisation form part of my earliest memories..
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I love Oliver Jeffer's work. Best modern illustrator and storyteller.

http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post

Love 'How to catch a star' and 'Lost and found' from Oliver Jeffers with story and pictures so evocative I know it would bring a tear to my eye not having read them for a couple of years. They made a cartoon of 'Lost and Found' which was also pretty gorgeous.

I think I had the most fun reading this to my kids, the way it works is brilliant and gives room for parental free-wheeling.
            I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post

i think the sentiment, tone and outlook of the Oliver Jeffers' books set theme apart from all but the likes of Sendak. longing, attachment, commitment, fear and joy and the singular clarity of purpose that i wish i still had.

As an aside, I took the boy to see an amazing theatre production (by Bootworks Theatre) of the Incredible Book Eating Boy last year. There was one seat in the tiny mobile theatre with 5 or 6 crew using projections, puppets, masks, animation and voices to bring the thing to life. A truly magical experince.

and then there's Bill Waterson.

Comment

,The Mousehole Cat' was always a favourite for us.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Some Tove Jansson:

Some more:
                  https://www.google.fi/search?q=tove+...=isch&imgdii=_
                  retro-pop-art-confusion

Comment

So is admitting to loving Axel Scheffler's work with Julia Donaldson just a bit too MOJO for you lot, then, is it?
                    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

My favourite illustrated kids book is this

Beni Montresor being the illustrator. Surreal, dreamy book, recommended to children of all ages as they say
                      Everyone tear down your own little wall
                      That keeps you from being a part of it all
                      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by Brass Monkey View Post
                        Love 'How to catch a star' and 'Lost and found' from Oliver Jeffers with story and pictures so evocative I know it would bring a tear to my eye not having read them for a couple of years. They made a cartoon of 'Lost and Found' which was also pretty gorgeous.
                        Oh my, oh my. I just watched the 25 minute DVD of Lost and Found. Brilliant. Wife and I sitting here totally filled up.

Thanks Ladybogrimsby, Brass Monkey and alanmck.
                        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

An absolute favorite - as the drawings haunted my memories from childhood for the magical way they portrayed the wilderness of the city - are the books by Ezra Jack Keats. I especially like The Snowy Day.

I'm always on the lookout for winners of the Caledecott Medal for children's illustration. Especially those from from '63 to '74 - the books from my collection as a child. I love William Steig, Arnold Lobel, Don Freeman and Leo Leoni. My four year old daughter Inez loves them too.

More recently, we like this story a lot - Ed Vere's Mr. Big. "Jazz baby, jazz!"
                          And on a different tip, Edinburgh "illustrauthor" John Fardell and heroine Sarah's macgyver-style contraptions in "The Day Louis Got Eaten."
                          "What's my stance? You know, I like to dance. And smash things up when I get a chance." - Chain and The Gang

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                            Did we have a thread on kid's books before???
                            Nearly...

Comment

Originally posted by Xann View Post
                              Thanks. I'll add the more recent Shaun Tan to that later. Amazing illustrator!

Comment

Working...
                              X