Your alltime favorite genrefilm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your alltime favorite genrefilm?

One where story, concept and visual style come together perfectly. For me it's DePalma's Scarface even though it might be kliché. The vulgar excessive persue of riches, the tacky early 80s fashion and style, the violence, the sinister Moroder score - the chilling opening synths scream cult classic!, Pacino as Tony Montana and the iconic scenes in the hotel room, the confrontation after the atrempted assasination on Tony and the end killing of Tony.

I also love Goodfellas, The Thing, RoboCop, Dawn of the dead and many others but Scarface has everything I need. Taxi Driver, French Connection 1+2, Taking of Pelham 123, Marathon Man and the like are to me more dramas with genre elements.

What's yours?

YOU DIE, MOTHERFUCKER!!

Hard Boiled for me. John Woo's last Hong Kong movie with the great Chow Yun-Fat beating up and finishing off the bad guys. Kung Fu and guns (Gun-Fu), slow mo, magnificent set pieces, great clothes, one liners, lots carnage including innocent bystanders, toothpicks, a baby...... The hospital showdown lasts 40 minutes - and it's edge of the seat stuff.

"As a cop, he has brains, he has brawl, and an instinct to kill!"

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Aren't all film's sort of genre films?

One of my favourites is another De Palma classic - 'The Untouchables' - it's corny as hell in places, but I just really like it in all its excessive genius. It's part classic Hollywood, part 80's pastiche and Mamet's dialogue is priceless. I even like Kevin Costner in it.

In terms of Westerns, 'The Searchers' is not a controversial choice but it is one of the most complex and beautiful and dark as hell films ever made so why look any further? If you haven't seen this film at least once, you should watch it now. NOW! Seriously, if you want an example of just what an art form cinema can be in the right hands, look no further.

SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Interesting you pick Untouchtables. I rewatched it recently after a long time and thought the story was very incohesive despite all the classic scenes.

Comment

I don't disagree with you, but I sort of like incohesion!
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Shane.

Much more than a mere Western.
            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Both " Les Quatres Cents Coups" (The Four-Hundred Blows") and "Kes" in the 'torment of school' film genre. Both brilliant. Great music in both too.
              Boy George knew my father

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                In terms of Westerns, 'The Searchers' is not a controversial choice but it is one of the most complex and beautiful and dark as hell films ever made so why look any further? If you haven't seen this film at least once, you should watch it now. NOW! Seriously, if you want an example of just what an art form cinema can be in the right hands, look no further.
                Yeah, totally agree. That end part when he gets back to the house is powerful stuff. Vera Miles is in it too, here is my Vera Miles story- About two months ago I wrote to her to get her autograph for my friend (I already had gotten hers for myself earlier). So she signed the photo for my friend, and she wrote me a little note to wish me Happy Holidays (this was about a week before Christmas). I thought that was pretty cool.

If I had to pick just one, 'Lady Frankenstein' is my favorite Horror movie. It was the first Rosalba Neri movie I saw, so for that reason alone it has great sentimental value to me. But aside from that, it's a highly entertaining movie with neat gothic sets and props (created by famous effects artist Carlo Rambaldi). It ticks all the boxes for me, 70s Italian Horror, great atmosphere, great performances, and a starring role for Ms. Neri.
                See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

Comment

For me it's The Usual Suspects
                  Takes the crime caper theme and does something really unique with it
                  I love that film
                  "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Predator 2, it's my favourite sci-fi-cop-chase film (hmm or is it Q The Winged Serpent)
                    MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Horror genre - it has always been about Suspiria for me.
                      Westerns - I'll go for a newish one - Tombstone. Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday is a thing of beauty.
                      "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                        Tombstone. Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday is a thing of beauty.
                        Good call.

Comment

Quatermass And The Pit.

Classic Hammer SF. Nigel Kneale script that neatly ties up the whole of supernatural lore with a rational explanation, which also explains the inhumanity of man through the ages. Andrew Keir does make a great Quatermass. Tristram Cary sound FX. Gloop, devastation, shoestring technology, and a great ending.

Comment

I had much more fun watching De Palma nasties like Body Double or Blow Out than Scarface (way too long) or Untouchables. I like Carlito´s Way better than both of those, as well - more autumnal, it´s got Luis Guzman in it and Sean Penn's hair is unforgettable.

The beach stalking scene in Body Double (at 43 minutes here) is fantastic. Why are there loads of vertical candy striped beach tents situated in front of a tiered hotel? Because it´s cinema.

Of all his stuff, I´d still go for Carrie, though. It´s just the best horror movie and the camera work is like music.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              It´s got Luis Guzman in it and Mike Strutter.
                              Fixed.
                              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X