Sixties Soho Culture Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sixties Soho Culture Films

Just watched and rather enjoyed the play Mojo which is set in the backroom of a Soho club. I really like that milieu, something about its seedy spitefulness and the way it is shamelessly a smaller, nastier version of the US scene. Off the top of my head I can think of Beat Girl, er, Performance... and a few books but are there any other films which are specifically set in Soho clubs and cafes featuring low-rent gangsters and pill-poppers? It feels like there ought to be loads.

How about Expresso Bongo and The Small World of Sammy Lee?
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Oh, and Mona Lisa, Love is the Devil and Night and the City.

Comment

Thanks, think I've only seen Night and the City from that list. But that's a bit earlier than what I'm on about it isn't it?

Comment

1950. You didn't specify an era. Soho has been a seedy wonder for a long while, they invented popping pills there in the 20's, just after they got fed up with opium.

Comment

The Pleasure Girls

BFI Player
            "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Didn't Daniel Farson make a 50s soho film/ documentary or has it already been mentioned above? His Beat City about Liverpool before the Beatles sounds interesting...
              <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Oh yeah, so I didn't. I meant kinda late fifties early sixties but all suggestions welcome. I'm particularly interested in Bacon etc which I suppose was just slightly before all that swinging sixties/Carnaby St stuff but really all good. Thanks for hints chaps.

Comment

Actually, now I come to think of it the thread was called Sixties Soho Culture Films so I kinda did.

Comment

Then don't watch any of the films I have recommended that fall out of your time zone.

Comment

I will be stringent in ensuring that I don't watch them... in this context at least. I may watch them in another context though.
                      I'm not sure what that means.

Comment

Well, you could watch them after you've watched the five films or so that fit your draconian rules. Four, if you take away 'Performance', which has no connection to Soho.

Comment

Pit of Darkness might foot the bill?

certainly wouldn't head it.

britmovie also shows this intriguing item:

her private hell with a soundtrack by Johnny Scott.

Comment

and if this wasn't made for the future-now VG+ audience, i don't know what was...

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/2008/08/31/Permissive

it's got prog, groupies and folk.

and Comus. during a fight scene.
                            Last edited by alanmck; 19-01-2014, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Though come to think of it I've seen Permissive.

Comment

Working...
                              X