Forgotten British Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten British Cinema

Just came across this article. Quite and interesting read, definitely some gems I've missed out on.

http://www.moviemail.com/blog/vintag...itish-Films-F/

Originally posted by verygoodcharles View Post
    Just came across this article. Quite and interesting read, definitely some gems I've missed out on.

http://www.moviemail.com/blog/vintag...itish-Films-F/
    Four In The Morning? Moody and not forgotten by me...

Neither is "The Fast Lady"

Comment

Think I might have to bring that to the top of the list. Can't beleive thats Dame Judy! !

Comment

Originally posted by verygoodcharles View Post
        Think I might have to bring that to the top of the list. Can't beleive thats Dame Julie! !
        Fixed

Have you seen these two?

Billy Liar

Darling

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

Have you seen these two?

Billy Liar

[/IMG]

Darling
          I haven't and I've just found a discount voucher for the the moviemail site over here - so I'm going to treat myself to a few (including your excellent recommendations)........... since it's payday and all!!
          Last edited by verygoodcharles; 30-01-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

!

"Darling" is great.

Comment

You should check out Stuart Cooper's "Overlord". It's a film about the D Day Landings. It mixes documentary footage with naturalistic acting from the cast. It has an understated, dreamlike quality, and a lovely little theme for the soundtrack. For years it was just a picture on my wall that I'd cut out of an old 'Sight and Sound' magazine and then it was released on DVD. It has also been on TV recently but had been, more or less, entirely overlooked. It can currently be had for 9p on Amazon- you'd be mad not to.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                You should check out Stuart Cooper's "Overlord". It's a film about the D Day Landings. It mixes documentary footage with naturalistic acting from the cast. It has an understated, dreamlike quality, and a lovely little theme for the soundtrack. For years it was just a picture on my wall that I'd cut out of an old 'Sight and Sound' magazine and then it was released on DVD. It has also been on TV recently but had been, more or less, entirely overlooked. It can currently be had for 9p on Amazon- you'd be mad not to.

Have you seen this one Shere?

"it happened here" - a strange one:

Comment

Have you seen this one Shere?

"it happened here" - a strange one:

Not only have I not seen it but I've never heard of it. I do like the sound of it and I think I'd watch it just to support the vision of it's makers. A quick look on Amazon shows that it's not in the 9 pence bracket yet! Similarly themed films I like, and maybe verygoodcharles should look into, are 'Went The Day Well', which is well known and the lesser known (I think; in the old video, and 4 channel, days you knew how often a film came on TV because if you missed it, and made a note to video it next time, you might wait years or it may never get shown again) 'The Demi-Paradise' with Laurence Olivier. I'm guessing (maybe incorrectly) that VGC is a younger gentleman. 'The Demi Paradise' seems to be unavailable on DVD. Another, non-war, film VGC may want to check out is 'Deep End' with Jane Asher and Diana Dors which also waited a long time for DVD release. Oh, and 'Tawny Pipit' of course, and 'A Kid For Two Farthings'.
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                    Not only have I not seen it but I've never heard of it. I do like the sound of it and I think I'd watch it just to support the vision of it's makers. A quick look on Amazon shows that it's not in the 9 pence bracket yet! Similarly themed films I like, and maybe verygoodcharles should look into, are 'Went The Day Well', which is well known and the lesser known (I think; in the old video, and 4 channel, days you knew how often a film came on TV because if you missed it, and made a note to video it next time, you might wait years or it may never get shown again) 'The Demi-Paradise' with Laurence Olivier. I'm guessing (maybe incorrectly) that VGC is a younger gentleman. 'The Demi Paradise' seems to be unavailable on DVD. Another, non-war, film VGC may want to check out is 'Deep End' with Jane Asher and Diana Dors which also waited a long time for DVD release. Oh, and 'Tawny Pipit' of course, and 'A Kid For Two Farthings'.

"went the day well" is a big favourite round these parts...

Thora Hird auditioning for a role in ".....If"?

and no cup of tea in sight.

Agreed on "deep end", but not sure if I've seen "demi-paradise" though...

Comment

"went the day well" is a big favourite round these parts...
                      Watched this yesterday
                      I liked the way the British Tommies really got stuck into them Nazis with their bayonets. Serves them right for slapping peoples faces when they talk to them.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I like the savagery of 'Went The Day Well'. No point dressing it up: if they come, you're going to have to kill 'em.

British propaganda films have some pretty tough messages. 'Millions Like Us' is a good example: 'war will make your life shit, you will lose loved ones and you will be expected to get on with it and do what you are told until it's over. If we win, we can go back to our homes and families. In the meantime, shut up and fight'.
                        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                          I like the savagery of 'Went The Day Well'. No point dressing it up: if they come, you're going to have to kill 'em.
                          Preferably by leaning all your weight onto a steel blade and wiggling it about in their bowels!
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

It can't all be about sniping from the bell tower. They machine gunned the post mistress, ffs!
                            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                              It can't all be about sniping from the bell tower. They machine gunned the post mistress, ffs!
                              Actually they bayonetted her as well. Right in the guts!
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X