Twelve years a slave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twelve years a slave

Saw this at the weekend. Very powerful film as you would expect. One of those films where we didn't say much to eachother until we were halfway home.
    When the film finished, and before the credits came up, there were a couple of "and this happened next" captions (not wishing to be a plot spoiler, I won't elaborate), and it struck me that this might have made for just as interesting viewing as what I had just seen! Would have been a bloody long film though.
    However, I returned home feeling glad that those days were long gone......picked up the paper and read this
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...kers-died-2013
    Just depressed me. Wonder if they will have a monument at the Qatar World Cup? Wonder if anyone will make a film of them! I know it's different, but it f***s me off.
    Key word, Kafala...if you don't know what it is ( I didn't until I read the article and looked it up) look it up.
    Rant over
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Maybe F.I.F.A will arrange a minutes silence before the Final for all the migrant workers killed in building the Qatar stadia and infrastructure.Maybe not.
    record licker

Comment

Out of interest, has anybody met or does anyone know of one single person who thinks having the world cup in Qatar in 2022 is a good idea?

Shocking article, I had no idea of the numbers...
      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
        Out of interest, has anybody met or does anyone know of one single person who thinks having the world cup in Qatar in 2022 is a good idea?

Shocking article, I had no idea of the numbers...
        Rich people? It's all about the greens....
        "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Yeah. Most - though certainly not all - of my Saudi students.
          Chelsea scum, the lot of them and all.
          To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

An absolutely stunning film and one I think will be of historical importance. I can imagine it being widely seen, and ending up on school syllabuses in a few years time. Be interesting to see what impact it has in the US.

The only thing that "saved" me a bit from the horror was my anticipation that it'd be worse (i.e. heavier) than Justin Kurzel's Snowtown and it wasn't, really, even if it gives you a bleaker view of history.
            "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Yes

I shook his hand at a press conference shortly before Barca finally succumbed to shirt sponsorship to became Qatarcelona. He was in Doha with Bayern last week, apparently.
              Qatari companies have been buying up prime sites in Barcelona and the Costas recently, but I don´t think many of them actually live there. You just can´t get the slaves.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                Saw this at the weekend. Very powerful film as you would expect. One of those films where we didn't say much to eachother until we were halfway home.
                When the film finished, and before the credits came up, there were a couple of "and this happened next" captions (not wishing to be a plot spoiler, I won't elaborate), and it struck me that this might have made for just as interesting viewing as what I had just seen! Would have been a bloody long film though.
                (
                Read the book, it's brilliant. And free if you go to Google books.

Comment

Death toll up to 500. Some estimating the toll will be as high as 4,000 by 2022.
                  But hey they're only funny coloured little people from the sub continent
                  World Cup 2026 North Korea anyone?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-worker-deaths
                  record licker

Comment

Working...
                  X