"Thirty metres of pure radness..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Thirty metres of pure radness..."

Got up early to watch the slopestyle event in the winter Olympics. Absolutely thrilling stuff. The Brits were unlucky, but the pure spectacle overrode any partisan feelings. Watching those kids flying through the air, being creative with it, and having balls the size of ostrich eggs to even attempt it, was a great start to my Sochi viewing. Great camera work too, revealing just how technical it is, and beautiful to watch too, in a wonderful setting. Obviously I'm ignoring all the crap surrounding the whole event, just trying to stay positive.Brilliant, colourful start.
    Anyone else getting into the games?
    The quote came from one of the commentators, following a particularly acrobatic, huge jump! The event also made me very aware that a whole new lexicon has passed me by.That's ok though, it would sound silly coming out of my mouth.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Jenny Jones posts on my other web hangout, we love her.

Comment

Good girl, that's the spirit! We all love Jenny now!
      The ladies slopestyle was great this morning. Anyone see the louge? Mental as anything

Comment

My daughter took herself off to Whistler last year and has been learning to snowboard. Not yet near doing anything like those girls were doing this morning though, but it made it required watching. Really enjoyable. You get the feeling that all the competitors - and the commentators - hang out with each other all the time, very informal and a breath of fresh air. Great stuff and well done Jenny, a bronze medal is a good way to retire.

Downend, Bristol (where I was born!) was put on the sporting map by WG Grace, now we have Jenny Jones!

Comment

I´m not sure how politically correct a 15 year old Russian girl figure skating to the Schindlers List music in a little red coat is, but I nearly had a tear in my eye and probably would have done if she´d flown a little higher. Kaetlyn Osmond was my favourite, and I was horrified when she fell flat on her face.
          But the team event is a just a warm up. A week to go before Queen Yu Na does her stuff...

Also spent a happy hour or so watching the biathlon last night. Bonkers. Whose idea was it to mix skiing and rifle shooting? It´s like a marathon with a round of darts every five miles
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

The biathlon yesterday was epic. Young French guy skiing like a lunatic before pausing to coolly plug 19 out of 20 targets. It´s a horribly cruel event, with competitors forced to go round a punishment circuit for every shot they miss.
            The Dutch speed skating twins were great too. Watched some speed skating relays before I came to work today, but it was just completely confusing. Some roller disco music would liven it up no end.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Morricone, Mancini, Black Magic Woman, I Put A Spell On You, jazz parpage, strange facial hair: the pairs figure skating must be the most VG+ Olympic event ever. All that was missing was a cape.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I have a project application I'm working on at the moment for a skate park, but I have now binned it in favour of a snowboard half-pipe. A-mazing.
                SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

1440 with a double cork! I can't think of a sporting moment that has moved me as much as that did (important Chelsea goals excepted).

Comment

Enjoyed the ladies ski jump last night. Got me wondering what the world record is....here'tis!

Is that Wild Thing in the background? Can you imagine Ed Leigh commentating on that? I've found the commentary on the snowboarding adds to the excitement. Great to have people with passion involved. Anyone else notice the slating they got after the ladies Slopestyle? What's that all about?

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                      Morricone, Mancini, Black Magic Woman, I Put A Spell On You, jazz parpage, strange facial hair: the pairs figure skating must be the most VG+ Olympic event ever. All that was missing was a cape.
                      It was a paso dufus! Torvill IS the cape, dean the matador! God!

Half pipe and slope style were some how not human. My boy and I were singing 'it's tricky to rock a rhyme', which may or may not chime but we were on it no end.
                      I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

The winter olympics have been a good start to the day. I watched the Jenny Jones bronze which was excellent, and the half-pipe shenanigans yesterday which was heartwarming. The over the top commentators who seem to know all the right words but not necessarily the judges results are also entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                          I have a project application I'm working on at the moment for a skate park, but I have now binned it in favour of a snowboard half-pipe. A-mazing.
                          Only 10 in the world apparently. You could make it 11 and we'd sweep the board in 2018 with Donny Dudes.
                          I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

Originally posted by Brass Monkey View Post
                            Only 10 in the world apparently. You could make it 11 and we'd sweep the board in 2018 with Donny Dudes.
                            My argument exactly! It's not going well, though.
                            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Brass Monkey View Post
                              It was a paso dufus! Torvill IS the cape, dean the matador! God!
                              I always thought Torvill was supposed to be the bull? But that makes sense.
                              I wish they still did ice dance like that. it used to be two souls locked in a perpetual gliding, swooping embrace, with the death spiral as the heart-wrenching climax. Now they have to do loads of required elements.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X