• Show
Clear All

• medlar
    replied
    The dice are loaded, and the game is fixed

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Yuna was sublime. What a shame she wasn't properly rewarded. The Russian girl nearly went arse over tit on one of her landings too!
    Is this what they call home advantage?

Leave a comment:

• Striker
    replied
    Originally posted by babycart View Post
    Russian fix!
    Sotnikova was great, but the Queen was robbed. Kostner lovely and Mao Asada did the best free programme I´ve seen in years. I got something in my eye when she burst into tears after her brave, perfect and hopeless tour de force.

couldn't agree more, I got slightly obsessed with the skating, Yuna's movement is almost too perfect, like she's animated rather than real, other worldly. Sotnikova might have been more ambitious but her presentation was not up to scratch at all. I guess some of those billions in bribes have made their way to the judging tables, especially after the Russians got their arses handed to them in the ice hockey.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Russian fix!
    Sotnikova was great, but the Queen was robbed. Kostner lovely and Mao Asada did the best free programme I´ve seen in years. I got something in my eye when she burst into tears after her brave, perfect and hopeless tour de force.

Leave a comment:

• candiman
    replied
    Originally posted by treeboy View Post
    got something in our eye when Liz Yarnold brought the gold home
    Funny, that happened to me too.

Leave a comment:

• candiman
    replied
    Already a memory but the the snowboard/half-pipe commentators continued to live up to the images we were watching.

"It's like doing a jig-saw in the dark" of a skater on the half-pipe... in a blizzard.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    The skating music has dipped a bit. there was a good ice dance routine to Morricone's Harmonica theme which went a bit trip hop, and the American girl did Pink Floyd Crazy Diamond yesterday but lepped about a bit too much in a cheerleader way.
    Here´s hoping Yu Na gives it some Get Carter this afternoon. Carolina Kostner has already chosen old classic Bolero, which is arranged by Maurice Bejart of Messe Pour Temps Present fame.

Yu Na was perfect yesterday, but I liked Carolina even more. Gorgeous, emotive, voluptuous whirling and gliding. I could watch her skate for days.

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Down mums earlier and strangely we both got something in our eye when Liz Yarnold brought the gold home When they had those huge slides at the Tate Modern, I got dragged along, and thought I was having a coronary half way down! I take my hat off to anyone with the (what's the female equivalent?) balls to even get on that tea tray thingy. Loved it.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    I can´t get into the snowboarding and slopestyle at all. It just seems daft to me, the judging is impossible to work out and I reckon I could probably have a decent crack at it myself given a couple of years training.
    Also bored by luge and skeleton. Maybe they´re doing something, but I can´t see what it is. It´s like rolling eggs down a hill.
    Can´t see the puck half the time in ice hockey, and for some reason the ski jumping is boring, too. A ski jump should be located half way down an Alp with thrilling views of peaks and crags. This one looks like it was knocked up in a fortnight , which it probably was.

Figure skating is supreme, the speed skating is amazing, proper downhill skiing/moguls/slalom is glamorous and dashing, curling is enthralling and the biathlon is epic

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by Brass Monkey View Post
    It was a paso dufus! Torvill IS the cape, dean the matador! God!
    I always thought Torvill was supposed to be the bull? But that makes sense.
    I wish they still did ice dance like that. it used to be two souls locked in a perpetual gliding, swooping embrace, with the death spiral as the heart-wrenching climax. Now they have to do loads of required elements.

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    Originally posted by Brass Monkey View Post
    Only 10 in the world apparently. You could make it 11 and we'd sweep the board in 2018 with Donny Dudes.
    My argument exactly! It's not going well, though.

Leave a comment:

• Brass Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    I have a project application I'm working on at the moment for a skate park, but I have now binned it in favour of a snowboard half-pipe. A-mazing.
    Only 10 in the world apparently. You could make it 11 and we'd sweep the board in 2018 with Donny Dudes.

Leave a comment:

• kestrel blazer
    replied
    The winter olympics have been a good start to the day. I watched the Jenny Jones bronze which was excellent, and the half-pipe shenanigans yesterday which was heartwarming. The over the top commentators who seem to know all the right words but not necessarily the judges results are also entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• Brass Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by babycart View Post
    Morricone, Mancini, Black Magic Woman, I Put A Spell On You, jazz parpage, strange facial hair: the pairs figure skating must be the most VG+ Olympic event ever. All that was missing was a cape.
    It was a paso dufus! Torvill IS the cape, dean the matador! God!

Half pipe and slope style were some how not human. My boy and I were singing 'it's tricky to rock a rhyme', which may or may not chime but we were on it no end.

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Enjoyed the ladies ski jump last night. Got me wondering what the world record is....here'tis!

Is that Wild Thing in the background? Can you imagine Ed Leigh commentating on that? I've found the commentary on the snowboarding adds to the excitement. Great to have people with passion involved. Anyone else notice the slating they got after the ladies Slopestyle? What's that all about?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X