Spaghetti Westerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaghetti Westerns

Been rewatching Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good the Bad and the Ugly recently and it wasn't that long time ago since I rewatched Once Upon a Time in the West.

I'd like to watch/rewatch some more spaghetti westerns - but I kinda forgotten which others I've seen that I liked. Not that fond of Django actually despite starring Franco Nero - that machine gun business isn't as cool as the Leone-type standoffs.

Anyone got some recommendations?
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

What about 'The Great Silence' with Klaus Kinski. A most unpleasant man in real life but, unfortunately, completely mesmerising on the screen. I think it's a fantastic film.

You're hard pressed to find anything to come up to the quality of 'Dollars' trilogy, but there are still loads of great films to see. I'll watch any Western.
    Last edited by Shere Khan; 25-03-2014, 09:45 PM. Reason: a comma !
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

^
      Ooh! Klaus in a spaghetti westerns and it looks quite raw and brutal as well. Can't believe that has slipped under my radar.
      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Beat me to it. Il siienzio is great. I have a soft spot for Terrence Hill, every German has that. "They call me nobody" is a favourite.
        Part 2 (also its not really a sequel) has this great scene with Hill/ Kinski.
        All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Yes it is raw and brutal, and rather than being a bit player Klaus is one of the main protagonists.

Comment

The DVD has a very different ending in the extras. Dont want to spoil it but it's worth watching I think.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Yes, Terence Hill; a spaghetti actor par excellence. Check out the Trinity films as well. I like Robert Shaw so I'm naturally drawn to 'A Town Called Hell' (originally, and better, 'A Town Called Bastard'). Opinion seems divided on this film. You can watch the whole thing here and make up your own mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                The DVD has a very different ending in the extras. Dont want to spoil it but it's worth watching I think.
                Ah yes, the ending!

Comment

High Plains Drifter w Clint is very similar to the Dollars trilogy and I like that it's more simplistic and nihilistic.

Once upon a time in the west is epic.

How about other kinds of westerns?
                  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
                  Little Big man
                  The Magnificent 7
                  High noon
                  Pale rider + Unforgiven

Comment

The Hired Hand directed by Peter Fonda whilst not a spaghetti western is a very good film, made after the success of 'Easy Rider'. The Bruce Langhorne sountrack, which had a vinyl release a couple of years back, is well worth hunting down.

Comment

I would defo echo recomendations or "BIG SILENCE" and "HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER" (one of my very favourties, and certainly one of the stranger westerns, despite big name star) but sorry to say i found "TOWN CALLED BASTARD" pretty dull. Waaaay to talky+++

There are laods of Django films, "DJANGO KILL" is a proper trippy western classic...with euro legend Tomas Milian as the titular character, rather than Nero. Much better than most the others in the "series"
                      In a similar vein "MATALO" is a very psychedelic western, great score and ends with a boomerang vs pistol duel, which has got to be a good thing!

"CUT THROATS 9" is a Spanish one that has a fairly simple but pleasingly nasty story and some proper gore (suprising for a western)

A big favourite is "BLINDMAN". Brilliant score, mean and nasty plot but laced with loads of humour, and Ringo Starr as a whacky mexican!

I remember "KEOMA" being good, Franco Nero as a half-Navaho dude who is ostricised or something. Very silly Guido & Maurizio Angelis "sing what you see on the screen" score too...

To go with Headless Mermaid and suggets US ones, "MISSOURI BREAKS" is defo decent. Jack Nicholson tries to go straight but is relentlessly persued by a menacing and highly bonkers Marlon Brando...
                      Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Yes, Keoma is great. Used to watch it a lot with my son when he was younger and we'd sit there and echo the voice " Keoooommaaaaa". 'High Plains Drifter' I just don't like, it's too nasty for me. ' The Outlaw Josey Wales' is my favourite, with 'Pale Rider' a close second. What about 'Zachariah' with Elvin Jones- yes, that Elvin Jones. When I was originally looking for this it turned up for a pound in a bin at the Co Op of all places.

Comment

Oh yes, Cutthroat 9 is brutal. Like a horror western almost.

Whats the one w Charles Bronson held prisoner on a train? Great Escape something? The train motif reminds me of Once upon a time in the west.

Oh and the 90s Tombstone if only for Val Kilmers Doc Holliday.

And Westworld just because.

Comment

Co-sign on Django Kill / Big Silence / Keoma. Classics all.

I also rather like ...

Big Gundown - moody allegorical about US imperial shenanigans down Mexico way
                            Face to Face - twisty turny moral tale
                            Companeros - nice teaming of Nero / Milian with the Man In Black - Jack Palance
                            The Price of Power - a curious political allegory that restages the JFK assassination
                            The Grand Duel - seem to recall this was a competent effort, again with Van Cleef
                            Five Man Army - good fun.
                            Shanghai Joe - most prints of this on DVD seem to be 4x3, but I watched a letterboxed version on telly once and, in this format, the film looked really good. Cool east/west fusion effort as a kung fu expert is pursued by (quelle surprise) a bonkers Klaus Kinski. Also surprisingly gory in places.

I don't think 'Death Rides a Horse' is that great a film, but some of the gothic atmosphere it evokes, and the Morricone score, are amazing!

In a similar vein, I also highly recommend the jaunty, spaghetti-esque samurai flick 'Kill!' which has a comic sense of absurdity that rather belies its unsubtle title.

Comment

I was recently amazed by how many there were.
                              a couple of months ago I met an old guy who used to ride around on a BSA in the 60s putting up the posters for movie showings in village halls and tomato warehouses - proper Cinema Paradiso stuff - and he took me down to his basement to show me his memorabilia. He had a pile of vintage posters about two feet high, and endless boxes of promotional stills.
                              Every third or fourth one seemed to be an Italian western, until he got to the 70s and it all went kung fu. He recommended the Ringo movies, which were huge here. Apparently there were spaghetti musicals. too with the fantastic twins Pili and Mili

Alex de la Iglesia´s 800 Bullets is also fun. It´s a comedy set in one of the Almerian villages where they used to shoot the spaghetti westerns. Like all of his work, it's flawed, but has a few amazing set pieces and a lot of fun with classic spaghetti tropes. My son loves it.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X