Local UK and Irish accents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local UK and Irish accents

I appeal to all the linguists, regionalists and humourists whom I know to stalk on this board...

I'm looking for phrases or sayings which neatly encapsulate regoinal accents and characteristics the more humourous the better... Please note I and I hope we mean no offense...

If you need to know it's because I hope to be able to point out the varying differences, inflections and subtleties to tourists whom are entrusted to me each summer... heh heh heh.

You know the sort of thing...

Scouse... Loo-k at my new coo-k boo-k...

Glaswegian... That's pure dead brilliant so it is but...

That classic of Monty python for East Anglia "I be the village idiot I be", or perhaps Norfolks singing postman "Hev you got a loight boy?"

Hopefully we can cobble togther a list that might include...

1) Better examples of Scouse, Glaswegian and East Anglian for a start...
    2) Cockernee
    3) Landahn norf / sarf, help me here I don't know the difference...
    4) The shires or middle english
    5) Yorkshire
    6) Geordie
    7) Posh Scotch - Edinburgh
    8) The Heilans & eilans
    9) Aberdonians
    10) Ayrshire
    11) Cumbria
    12) Lancashire
    13) North / south / west Wales
    14) Cornwall
    15) Birmingham
    16) Bristol
    17) West country
    18) Mancunian
    19) Ulster
    20) Dublin
    21) Cork
    22) Galway & west Irish coast
    23) Essex
    24) Any others I can't think of or might have left out...

Bonus points for any cheap records that might illustrate any of these without being rude, or as boring as those BBC records on regional dialects.

Many thanks in advance, hopefully we can have some fun with it - please no one take any offense, it's meant to amuse not start any fights.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

This springs to mind off the old Tudor crisps advert - "Wey aye mann, I'll clim a mountin fa a cannie bag a tudor lyke"
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

You never mentioned the Midlands but there's 'eey up me duck' (hello)
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
        This springs to mind off the old Tudor crisps advert - "Wey aye mann, I'll clim a mountin fa a cannie bag a tudor lyke"
        Exactly the sort of thing I'm after! Thanks Craig.

Every time I'm in the North east I try and tell the tourists about Viz, but it's hard because I have to stay family friendly on the microphone, the best I can do is quote some of the top tips...

I did manage to persuade an Australian to buy it once... it shut him up for a while at least, but there was plenty of guffawing and chortling heard from his direction for the next couple of days...
        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
          You never mentioned the Midlands but there's 'eey up me duck' (hello)
          Somebody educate me on the differences between Brummie and Midlands! Please...
          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
            Exactly the sort of thing I'm after! Thanks Craig.
            Sadly they've now pulled the 'Rocket' down in Dunston.

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

The Bristol accent is well covered with the Krek Waiters books http://www.ecenglish.com/blogs/Bristol/?p=2443
              Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Hate it when the Suffolk accent gets lumped in with the Norfolk. Norfolk accent is slow, dowdy and somewhat retarded. Suffolk accent is more sprightly/cheerful. North Essex and Cambs Fen accents have more in common with Suffolk than Norfolk. Thassa finkin troof buh.
                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

You're avin' a fucking giraffe you are mate
                  To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by Mumbles View Post
                    The Bristol accent is well covered with the Krek Waiters books http://www.ecenglish.com/blogs/Bristol/?p=2443
                    The Brizzle "pirate" accent is well known, although personally I'm not convinced it stretches as far as a dialect... happy to be proved wrong though and we still need a "praper" phrase to capture it moi lover...
                    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
                      Hate it when the Suffolk accent gets lumped in with the Norfolk. Norfolk accent is slow, dowdy and somewhat retarded. Suffolk accent is more sprightly/cheerful. North Essex and Cambs Fen accents have more in common with Suffolk than Norfolk. Thassa finkin troof buh.
                      School me in the differences please!
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                        You're avin' a fucking giraffe you are mate
                        I'd have to remove swearing but could replace it with "bloody", but prey tell is this cockney, norf or sarf Landahn?
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                          I'd have to remove swearing but could replace it with "bloody", but prey tell is this cockney, norf or sarf Landahn?
                          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

what most people think of as the Birmingham accent is actually the black country / Dudley accent. all that "how yam gooin" stuff.

from wikipedia

It is not the only accent of the West Midlands, although the term Brummie is often erroneously used in referring to all accents of the region. It is markedly distinct from the traditional accent of the adjacent Black Country, although modern-day population mobility has tended to blur the distinction. For instance, Dudley-born comedian Lenny Henry, Daniel Taylor, Smethwick-born actress Julie Walters, award winning soap actress Jan Pearson, comedian Frank Skinner, Bill Oddie, and Adrian Chiles are sometimes mistaken for Brummie-speakers by people outside the West Midlands county.
                            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I was just reading the other day that the average distance in Britain/Ireland before differences in accent can be detected is 15 miles. In the USA it´s 200 (much further than that in the west). My granny could almost tell which street in Belfast someone came from.
                              The weirdest accent I ever heard was on our family´s only foreign holiday - to Baltimore in 1979, where we stayed with my uncle. We took a trip down to Virginia, Carolina and Cape Hatteras and the bloke who ran the caravan park had an Outer Banks brogue.
                              Check out these American yokels
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X