Help w a defected fridge (Seriously)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w a defected fridge (Seriously)

Sorry for a NRR post but maybe someone here can help?

My fridge has now twice stopped cooling and instead warmed up leaving stuff to melt. The first time I unplugged for a few secs and then turned the dial way up which helped for abt a week. Now it's the same problem and the same tricks don't seem to help. Can the cooling element or whatever it's called be worn out?

Help is appreciated.

How old is it? How long have you had it? If it's old and its warranty has expired just sling it and get a new one. The same thing happened to us, same malfunction, so we just tipped it off the balcony of our flats* and went and spent a not a particularly great deal of money on a new one.

*only joking of course it was disposed of responsibly.
    record licker

Comment

I've had this happen a few times. If it's a fridge freezer it's possible that the cooling coils in the back of the freezer have frozen up (possibly from leaving the door open and it doing overtime to regulate the temp) The frozen coils then stops the cold air from circulating upwards into the fridge. If it is the case then your freezer will be working without a problem and your fridge section will be warm.

If you think it is that, take apart the back of the freezer (in mine I found access to the coils inside it, not behind the freezer) and then use a hair-dryer to defrost it but be careful not to melt the plastic! Once it's melted you should be good to go.

Comment

thermostat fucked - buy a new one !!
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

It's actually over 20 yrs old but has worked wo problems until now.

Both fridge and freezer has the problem. Same thing happened when er had a power fail for 3 hrs a couple weeks ago. I've tried vacuuming the dust off the back and switching the power off for 20 mins wo any luck.

Maybe I'll try if I can do something w the thermostat or the cooling fluid container.

What's the coils?

Comment

eff it, ordered a new one. thanks for the help chaps.

Comment

You can also use multiple copies of this.
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Boom! Had a spanking new fridge installed today. Word.

Comment

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                    i've watched this thread from a distance, never quite sure that any intervention i'd make would be helpful.

now that it's resolved, i ask only:

did you find one of these inside?

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                      i've watched this thread from a distance, never quite sure that any intervention i'd make would be helpful.

now that it's resolved, i ask only:

did you find one of these inside?

Does this answer your question?

Comment

Did it come with other useful household products?

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                          You probably wont want to watch this then, planned obsolescence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...pend-episode-1
                          record licker

Comment

Originally posted by relkeel View Post
                            You probably wont want to watch this then, planned obsolescence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...pend-episode-1
                            and as he's in Denmark, he can also get proper riled by the non-UK IP block that iplayer imposes

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                              and as he's in Denmark, he can also get proper riled by the non-UK IP block that iplayer imposes
                              Ah! Never thought of that. Though I did mention he probably wouldn't want to watch it anyway
                              Last edited by relkeel; 01-07-2014, 01:33 AM.
                              record licker

Comment

Working...
                              X