MENTAL TONES: SUN RA PUBLICATION APPEAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MENTAL TONES: SUN RA PUBLICATION APPEAL

As almost everyone will know, 2014 marks the centenary of the incomparable Sun Ra's first arrival on our planet. To celebrate this, Matt (EINE) Cheeseman and myself are looking at putting together a fanzine / publication about the great man called ‘Mental Tones’ and we’re looking for contributors. We don’t want great long essays filled with facts, however, we just want your purely subjective, totally non quantifiable thoughts on his oeuvre.

Ideally, you will nominate a Sun Ra performance, listen to it, and provide us with about 250 words on the experience – what it sounded like, how it made you feel, what it made you think about. There is no requirement to be a Sun Ra expert, so all are welcome – in fact, novice’s thoughts would be GREAT.

If you’re interested, just add on to the thread. Ideally looking for at least twenty collaborators, which really shouldn’t be a problem, I hope. Everyone involved gets their name in print and their own copy of the finished publication.

Right – stands back in anticipation of rush to sign up.

Thanks,

Paul
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

I'm game, deadline-dependent.

Comment

Should have mentioned, it needs to be published this year (the centenary) and we were thinking of November. So we'll need 250 words somewhere between this weekend and the end of September to get everything collated and printed. This is a fanzine, by the way, so don't expect any glossy paper or full colour pictures. A few black and white pictures and lots of interesting points of view.

Comment

I´ll have a go.
        Provisionally titled "Taking a Siesta in 2009 to Walt Dickerson´s Impressions of a Patch of Blue featuring Sun Ra on Harpsichord"
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Welcome aboard, BC.

Comment

Ponies, Strudels and the Rocksichord: My favourite Favourite Things.

Comment

Ace! Mine is 'Wonky Chops: The All of Everything'.

Comment

I think I'm going to write some fashion notes and then dress up in homage and get some artful shots taken to accompany it.
                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I assumed you would.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                    I think I'm going to write some fashion notes and then dress up in homage and get some artful shots taken to accompany it.
                    Please let me know if you source a pair of these specs, Eine. Or an Anubis helmet.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I´ve found some Sun Ra specs, but they´re not quite right*

http://www.ijaak.com/

http://www.roopevintage.com/black-ey...unra-crms.html

*bloody expensive
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I'm inclined to be in.

I could list a small selection of his records and that'd get me to 250 words.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Bloody hell! I think we should be in the Sun-Ra sunglasses racket. They'll have to be rear shots.

I genuinely had an anubis head mask once. Kicking myself now.
                          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

If you are battling to fill space I am happy to write 250 words on my struggles with Its After the End of the World - a record so out there I can't give it away!!
                            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X