Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favourite trash/exploitation film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favourite trash/exploitation film?

I ask as I'm wondering whether I like this "genre" much.... I started watching Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS las night and actually found it fairly tedious, as I often find these kinda films. Once you get beyond the gratuitous boob shots, I wonder what else is there? A bit of stupid OTT S&M, fake blood and fairly predictable plot movements. So would be interested in people's recommendations, favourites or some discussion. I *know* it's a ridiculously broad term, but I'd just like some discussion rather than defining the genre.

I turned it off and watched Juraj Herz's The Cremator instead - now, that is a film and a half! Available in it's entirety on Youtube.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Pink Flaminogs is the first thing that comes to mind for me, because it's so cheaply made and yet utterly twisted. The clear delight Waters is experiencing in throwing this stuff around is unmissable. It's like a really exuberant toddler having a tantrum/rave blissout in the middle of toilet training.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

I didn't find Ilsa predictable. Tedious in places perhaps but too OTT and odd to be genuinly boring. While I am intrigued that there's a whole sub genre of this stuff (Night Porter probably has a lot to answer for) I don't think I would investigate it further.

As for the actual question it depends how far you stretch the genre. If euro horror counts then Island of Death is my favourite.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I am watching the rest of it now. You're right, it is odd. I think I was hoping for something a bit less borderline and more compellingly watchable last night.

Comment

I'm torn. I like expressive imaginative style and occasional OTT trashy action, but also a clever and meaningful human story (that more or less mirrors my own existense of course), so I get easily bored by a lot of the old disposable drive-in zombie-biker-dinosaur-revenge etc. stuff. I love DePalma's 'Scarface', the original 'Day of the dead', 'High plains drifter', 'Aliens' and many more which to me all are pretty trashy in their own way. Involuntary trash/cheese favorites include 'Point Break' - the surfer crime drama w Keanu and Busey, 'Deep Blue Sea' and 'John Rambo'.

Comment

Btw, interesting that the prison camp torture sexploitation sub-genre more or less began with 'Night Porter', a heavy drama starring the heralded good taste-actress Charlotte Rampling. Guess that's exploitation cinema ...

Comment

Afterman was a great hit at my local videoclub. Low budget postapocalyptic survival thriller with 80s score.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220964/
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

DVD broke a while ago but some of the films I'd classify in that genre that I own and recommend:
                Witchfinder General - Truely scary
                Foxy Brown - from the opening head blown off scene to the end it's a pure trash delight
                Videodrome - everyone knows this????
                Branded to Kill - genuinely weird but wonderful Japanes gangster/ surrealism mix
                Rabid - best Cronenberg in my view
                Dead and Buried - from the writti g team behind Alien
                Switchblade Sisters - surprisingly good girl gang stuff from Jack Hill
                Cannibal Apocalypse - not as gory as the title makes out
                2000 Maniacs - Hershell Gordon Lewis - I defy you not to laugh
                Footprints on the Moon - creepy Italian film that keeps you guessing
                "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                  DVD broke a while ago but some of the films I'd classify in that genre that I own and recommend:
                  Foxy Brown - from the opening head blown off scene to the end it's a pure trash delight
                  Videodrome - everyone knows this????
                  Branded to Kill - genuinely weird but wonderful Japanes gangster/ surrealism mix
                  Rabid - best Cronenberg in my view
                  Dead and Buried - from the writti g team behind Alien
                  Switchblade Sisters - surprisingly good girl gang stuff from Jack Hill
                  Cannibal Apocalypse - not as gory as the title makes out
                  2000 Maniacs - Hershell Gordon Lewis - I defy you not to laugh
                  Footprints on the Moon - creepy Italian film that keeps you guessing
                  Branded to Kill is Art, not trash
                  some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Must have been in one of my moods when I answered. Forgot I love these:

Comment

Great thread! Lots of favourites mentioned.... Dan, if you wanted a bit more reading about the possible 'boundaries' of this kind of gear i would defo recommend picking up Stephen Thrower's mighty tome "NIGHTMARE USA" - great intro explaining the history of exploito cinema and the murky presence of sexual-violence-as-titilation that is never too far away when watching this sort of fare.

I watched a great piece of trash a few weeks back:

CANNIBAL MERCENERY (1983)
                      Insane "war is hell" rip-off of Apocalypse Now with all exploito ingredients in full-effect. It's low down, dirty, graphic, ridiculous and with bonkers editing and music. Watched it with some mates and we loved it!
                      Uncut composite is on youtube.
                      Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                        Would be great on a double bill with this nasty oddity: Mark Of The Devil

Herbert Lom and Udo Kier have a competition to see who's got the biggest bug eyes!!
                        "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post
                          Would be great on a double bill with this nasty oddity: Mark Of The Devil

Herbert Lom and Udo Kier have a competition to see who's got the biggest bug eyes!!
                          They toured a new uncut. Print of that at last year's "Frightfest" - pretty grisly torture scenes in it!

Can't believe this slipped my mind as one of favourite ever exploitos:

STREET TRASH!

Gives John Waters a run fir his money in the bad taste stakes, homeless people are callously and gleefully depicted as a uniformly awful bunch all in the name of setting up loads of disgusting SFX set pieces. "Molten hobo holocaust" indeed!
                          Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                            They toured a new uncut. Print of that at last year's "Frightfest" - pretty grisly torture scenes in it!

Can't believe this slipped my mind as one of favourite ever exploitos:

STREET TRASH!

Gives John Waters a run fir his money in the bad taste stakes, homeless people are callously and gleefully depicted as a uniformly awful bunch all in the name of setting up loads of disgusting SFX set pieces. "Molten hobo holocaust" indeed!
                            Soundtrack just released too - think for the first time - on a new label - Vinyl and CD
                            "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X