X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medlar
    replied
    Originally posted by alanmck View Post
    may/ not have pic from the roof. may/not have footage from the GoPro that we took up/ down with us.

def have photo of the moment we each leant out backwards to start the descent.

the 541 foot descent.
    What time of the day was that Alan? If I'd known I'd have asked Mrs Medlar to cheer you all the way down. As Tom B says, pics please!

Leave a comment:

• Tom B
    replied
    Sounds horrendous. Definitely want to see the pics, & footage sounds promising too.

Leave a comment:

• alanmck
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom B View Post
    Pix or it never happened.
    may/ not have pic from the roof. may/not have footage from the GoPro that we took up/ down with us.

def have photo of the moment we each leant out backwards to start the descent.

the 541 foot descent.

Leave a comment:

• Tom B
    replied
    Originally posted by alanmck View Post
    I went up Broadgate Tower on Sunday, the view from the roof of that is panoramic and terrific.

Then I jumped off it, and landed a few minutes and 541 feet later.

An activity to be remembered but not repeated, I think.
    Pix or it never happened.

Leave a comment:

• alanmck
    replied
    Originally posted by medlar View Post
    Yes, she enjoyed it, and mentioned the view, but we had been up the Shard earlier in the year, which is higher
    I went up Broadgate Tower on Sunday, the view from the roof of that is panoramic and terrific.

Then I jumped off it, and landed a few minutes and 541 feet later.

An activity to be remembered but not repeated, I think.

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
    Did she say if it was worth it, Chris?
    Yes, she enjoyed it, and mentioned the view, but we had been up the Shard earlier in the year, which is higher

Leave a comment:

• Tsundoku
    replied
    Did she say if it was worth it, Chris?

ALSO - does anyone know of any good guides to London architecture, especially focused on/around the City of London - either print or online. I was so awestruck by several of the buildings round there yesterday, I'd love to follow this up.

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    Mrs Medlar went to The Gherkin, queued 2 hours and got in, and from there went to Canary Wharf Crossrail. She enjoyed both and met up with my younger daughter for the Crossrail site. I went to the allotment, that needs a bit of work, but I'm getting there

Leave a comment:

• Tsundoku
    replied
    Well, I only managed two actual visits but as a novice, I'm not dissatisfied.

I had a fairly brutal hangover yesterday and only a phone call from a friend stopped me from faffing around the house in my pants. I got out in time for the last tour of the day round the Bishopsgate Institute which was bloody amazing! I've wandered past it's frontage a hundred times without ever investigating, but it's fantastic inside. Incredible wooden-fixtured library which houses a London collection of 65,000 books, amongst many other collections. I couldn't believe how it sprawled out inside, it's like a Tardis. The high point for me was little dioramas of London in the 50s - scenes of pub interiors and Petticoat Lane. They were originally made as pub talking points, when pubs had to use devices other than Sky Sports to attract customers.

Today, wandered around the City, had the vaguest of intentions to check out The Bank of England and The Leadenhall Building. Both had queues with estimated times of two hours, as did the Gherkin. I think if you do want to see one of these places, no matter how early you get there, it's going to be like this. A plan might be to build in one "big" viewing like this, and lots of small things. Also tried the Lutyens building in Finsbury Circus but just missed the last tour (12.30!).The day saved by making a trip to Circus Space in Hoxton - fascinating space in a former electrical power plant, which used to be run by the good denizens of Hoxton burning their rubbish! Now filled with frightening trapezes. I enjoyed looking at lots of exterior the architecture around the City, but to actually see things, it seems best to avoid the big hitters. To use a record collecting analogy, avoid the psych mega- grails and try and check out some unknown Euro 45s, to get max bang for your buck. Thoroughly good fun. Thanks Rich, for the reminder!

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    The Daily Express building (120 Fleet St) is a bit of a mindblower. You can only do the foyer, but it is magnificent (if it's part of the programme this year that is)

Edit; couldn't find it on the 2014 guide unfortunately, but I could be wrong

Leave a comment:

• jakartajive
    replied
    Open House Weekend is one of my favourite things all year. We used to try and go see the big famous stuff, like St. Pancras Station before it was all revamped and reopened, but found that generally they'd be rammed unless you got there very very early. The last few years we've stayed very local, which has proved fascinating. For instance, when I lived in in my last flat, I used to go past the whited-out front of an old defunct bucther's on Hornsey Road every day and barely pay a thought to it. Little did I know what lay behind the door..

This year, we're going to be nosey bastards and go check out a couple of nearby houses that've been massively done up.

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    I'd definitely go to the BBC before they bulldoze bits of it and, if you've never been to The Banqueting Hall in Whitehall then it's definitely worth a trip.
    Originally posted by ninja simone View Post
    Maybe don't go to the more obvious looking ones? We used to go every year from when it began and it was generally fine at most places with the occasional one being a bit more crowded with perhaps a bit of a queue. But at some point the whole event started to really get popular and everywhere we turned up at just had too many people somehow which put us off a bit. Haven't been to anything for a few years now so it may not be so bad any more - possibly because there seem to be far more places involved than there used to. Definitely always really interesting things to see. Often you had to book for some places so maybe those are worth trying for if they haven't already booked up? Bear in mind that an awful lot of the places listed are open to the public anyway so can just be visited at any time - and probably in a more relaxed way. Also, you can only visit very few sites so obviously plan it all out beforehand and ideally keep them within range of each other so you don't waste all your time travelling.

Definitely recommended though.
    Cheers, very useful! I spotted that some are open anyway; the Goldfinger house caught my eye and then I realised it's owned by English Heritage.

Leave a comment:

• ninja simone
    replied
    Maybe don't go to the more obvious looking ones? We used to go every year from when it began and it was generally fine at most places with the occasional one being a bit more crowded with perhaps a bit of a queue. But at some point the whole event started to really get popular and everywhere we turned up at just had too many people somehow which put us off a bit. Haven't been to anything for a few years now so it may not be so bad any more - possibly because there seem to be far more places involved than there used to. Definitely always really interesting things to see. Often you had to book for some places so maybe those are worth trying for if they haven't already booked up? Bear in mind that an awful lot of the places listed are open to the public anyway so can just be visited at any time - and probably in a more relaxed way. Also, you can only visit very few sites so obviously plan it all out beforehand and ideally keep them within range of each other so you don't waste all your time travelling.

Definitely recommended though.

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    I'd definitely go to the BBC before they bulldoze bits of it and, if you've never been to The Banqueting Hall in Whitehall then it's definitely worth a trip.

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    started a topic Open House London 2014

Open House London 2014

Open House London 2014

It's that time of year again... I've always liked the idea but I've never managed to get myself in gear to take advantage of this annual event (For those who can't be arsed to click through, a large number and range of buildings across London open their normally closed doors to the public over one weekend, for free). Until now; this year I intend to make more of an effort.

I suspect that a few of you may be veterans and I'm keen to pick your brains for any tips as to how to make the most of it. So, any advice for a novice?
Working...
X