Under The Skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under The Skin

On my flight back from Singapore, half asleep and with darkness and slumber all around me, I watched the last Jonathan Glazer film UNDER THE SKIN.

It was a truly odd and unsettling view, and I honestly cannot remember the last time a star with the profile of Scarlett Johansson did something even remotely as avant-garde or leftfield. A brave choice of roles and a remarkable performance.

Still not quite sure I'd say I 'enjoyed' the film, but I've certainly never really seen anything like it. Part Dune transposed to the gritty Scottish back streets, part reverse serial killer flick, part 2001 referencing sci-fi, part parable and rumination on the nature of human lust. And the whole very much bigger than those composites might suggest.

Anyone else seen it?
    And any other contenders for mega-star-takes-mental-role awards?
    To infinity - and beyond!

Hugh Jackman chucked himself right into "The Fountain" - which was pretty bloody silly (but also brilliantly serious)
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
      Hugh Jackman chucked himself right into "The Fountain" - which was pretty bloody silly (but also brilliantly serious)
      Funnily enough, as well as the aforementioned ScarJo vehicle, there was a complete run of Aronofsky films on Singapore Airlines last month. On my flight back from Brisbane I saw Under the Skin, Pi, Requiem for a Dream, and The Fountain. I suspect at least some of those were edited for the small screen, but pretty impressive nonetheless.

Under the Skin was pretty great. I mean Scarlett Johansen offing neds ... what's not to like?
      https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
      http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
      https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
      https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

I'd recommend Mel Gibson in 'The Beaver'.

I'm not sure how they persuaded him to star in it but I'm glad they did.
        www.45cat.com
        http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
          Under the Skin was pretty great. I mean Scarlett Johansen offing neds ... what's not to like?
          this

unsettling and sticks in the mind long after viewing.

for slightly older "star in a wtf role":

Comment

I had a similar reaction to Under the Skin. A good film if not quite a great one but I was struck more than that by the braveness of the cast and director etc to make such a thoroughly weird and uncompromising movie - a real change from the usual stuff we have foisted on us all the time. I wish there was more modern stuff like this. Recently I've been in a mood for going to the cinema and I've been casting about desperately to find anything that I even half want to see. I'd really appreciate some good tips for what's out there at the moment.

Comment

I can't remember the last time a film divided opinion quite so markedly as "Under The Skin". I was told that parts of the film were genuinely disturbing and that certain of my friends were actually compelled to walk out of the screening momentarily as the creepiness quotient got ramped up. Went to see it with some trepidation but just ended up a bit non-plussed by it. The people I went with LOATHED it though. They thought it was pretentious art-wank. I can see their point actually.
              Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

I read the book of Under the Skin
                it made me feel nauseous so I´m a bit wary of the film.

The Fountain is the biggest pile of codswallop I´ve seen in all my born days.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I absolutely love "SECONDS"! We screened it last year - looked great on the big screen...

In a similarish vein:

Burt Lancaster in "THE SWIMMER"

Last edited by pencilface; 09-09-2014, 05:48 PM.
                  Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

See also Burt in 'Castle Keep'.

Hugh's original point about big stars doing weird shit at the height of their fame (I'm paraphrasing!) is an interesting one. I'd nominate Nicole Kidman, who is not an actress I particularly like, but keeps on being in really interesting films. Aside from the Lars Von Trier stuff, 'Stoker' is a good example, a film I really rate, essentially a collision of 'Shadow Of A Doubt' and 'Night Of The Hunter'.
                    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Kathleen Turner in "Serial Mom" was a bit of an eyebrow raiser I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Mang View Post
                        Kathleen Turner in "Serial Mom" was a bit of an eyebrow raiser I think.
                        shurely "man with two brains" (1983) was the template for the Serial Mom (1994) role?

great fun either way.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                          shurely "man with two brains" (1983) was the template for the Serial Mom (1994) role?

great fun either way.
                          I concur, although she didn't get to say "PUSSY willow" with quite the same relish in the former. She does throw a cat at a portrait I suppose but it's not "quite" the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                            I'd nominate Nicole Kidman, who is not an actress I particularly like, but keeps on being in really interesting films. .
                            True. she was amazing in The Paperboy, which was like a reprise of her tour de force in To Die For.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                              See also Burt in 'Castle Keep'.
                              Bruce Dern and Peter Falk too? Nice - haven't seen this, will check it out.

How about Anthony Newley in "GARBAGE PAIL KIDS THE MOVIE" ?

Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Working...
                              X