No announcement yet.

Will Tunnocks tea cakes be a casualty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Tunnocks tea cakes be a casualty?

We are living in momentous times. Should Scotland get it's independence? I'm half and half so I'm hoping to get dual nationality if it goes ahead; then I'll move all my filthy lucre from England into an offshore account on Jura, sit back, and watch the interest mount. If David Cameron presides over the break-up of the union can we kick him out? What are the panel's thoughts?
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Ooh, the thorny 'Tunnock's tea cakes' question eh?...you're a brave man SK - I'm more worried about Irn-Bru myself (at least until someone invents Diet Tizer...)

All I shall say is....the working class has no nation....
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
      We are living in momentous times. Should Scotland get it's independence? I'm half and half so I'm hoping to get dual nationality if it goes ahead; then I'll move all my filthy lucre from England into an offshore account on Jura, sit back, and watch the interest mount. If David Cameron presides over the break-up of the union can we kick him out? What are the panel's thoughts?
      If he presides over the break up of the Union they are contemplating suspending the 2015 General Election for twelve months!
      Charlie Brooker described Cameron as popular in Scotland as Windows 8 and that Gregorys Girl will be re classed as world cinema. Which made me laugh.
      record licker

Comment

Well... as someone who will be voting and someone who's future is at stake, and my children's etc etc first let me state that I love Scotland, and I also love England and Wales and Northern Ireland. And Ireland, and Spain and Italy and... this is in NO way anti-English. What it IS is anti-Westminster. Scotland makes up 8% of the UK's population, so basically we never get the government we want. And governments treat Scotland pretty shoddily.

I want to live in a country which isn't run by a bunch of millionaires, hell-bent on punishing the poor so they can get their and their cronies snouts deeper in the trough. Westminster is unbelievably out of touch with the general public, there's hardly any women, there's hardly any state-schooled members, there's hardly any, well, normal people who aren't millionaires, who CARE about the needs of the country.

For all they claim the economy is on the mend, we are currently a TRILLION pounds in debt - for all their Labour slagging about how they caused the financial crisis, the Con-Dems have borrowed more money in three years than Labour did in THIRTEEN! The interest we pay for this "recovery" is £1 BILLION a week - and yet MPs think it's okay to freeze everyone else's pay, while giving themselves 10%. They think it's okay to sell off assets like the Royal Mail for a pittance, while their hedge fund pals make a killing. They think it's okay to cut the tax rate for the highest earners by 5p in the pound (because when you're a millionaire, every little helps, right?) while introducing idiotic schemes like the "bedroom tax" affecting the most needy in society. They think it's okay to investigate paedophile rings in the House Of Commons by... the next door neighbour of the person who allegedly covered it all up in the first place. The whole system needs brought down, and Scotland (well, 51% at the moment - but I'm sure in ten years time, 90% of people will claim they voted YES) has the chance for a fresh start.

I want to live in a fairer society, where there isn't such a huge difference between rich and poor. I want to get rid of food banks. Scotland manages to offer free NHS treatment, free prescriptions, free university education - if we stay in the UK, this won't be viable. As an independent nation we can get rid of nuclear weapons instead of INCREASING them (apparently the people of Plymouth aren't too happy about having nuclear submarines on their doorstep - guess what - neither are we!) and we can choose not to go into illegal wars. We can make the decisions which are best for Scotland, which is... in Scotland.

What I fear is, in the event of Scotland staying part of the UK, as cuts get made across the board (if you think things are bad now, wait till the REAL austerity measures kick in...), these cuts will affect Scotland and we won't be able to continue with what we do. We want to stay as part of the EU, but the UK might well vote to leave it in a few years. People might well think this is a radical way to get rid of the current government - sorry, but the other options (Labour? UKIP?) don't look too tempting right now.

Sorry, this post was longer and more ranty than intended. I think you'll find that Tunnock's Tea Cakes will still be getting exported to England. And, if not, I'll happily bring a few boxes across the border next time I make it to the Tanners or Brillo...
        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
          And, if not, I'll happily bring a few boxes across the border next time I make it to the Tanners or Brillo...
          Ooh, can you bring me some of the dark chocolate ones. They are a sod to source down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
            Ooh, can you bring me some of the dark chocolate ones. They are a sod to source down here.
            Nae bother, big man! I would hope in the event of independence, Tunnocks will up their export game. Not that they need to wait!

Comment

Also, Irn Bru in glass bottles... I'll get a list together...

Comment

Scotland could start producing Cremola Foam again to up their revenues when the oil runs out. I'll be buying.

Comment

i live in Birmingham and have exactly the same problems.
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                    Same here. FREEDOM FOR EAST ANGLIA! We should be free to drive our tractors on the motorway- they'll have to build one first; ever tried to get out of East Anglia? Only takes about two hours to reach the first decent stretch of dual carriageway.

Comment

cant we just disconnect London? then we would all be free
                      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

cant we just disconnect London? then we would all be free
                        It's just as bad here, let's all move to Scotland
                        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

With the availability of dark chocolate Tunnocks Tea Cakes, or corruption ruining society?

The Scottish referendum is expected to have a turnout of 89% - 600,000 postal votes have been issued (???) and 16 year olds have the right to vote. Looks like areas of England are now thinking THEY should have devolved powers, so they can face the challenges unique to each region that they know best.

SO... whatever the outcome next Thursday, I sincerely hope that the whole thing has shaken a lot of people up, people who have previously had little to no interest in politics, and the momentum and pressure is kept up. The current government came to power with no majority. If people use their vote and voice, hopefully we can all change the mess we're in "together".

Comment

Love you, Scotland.
                            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                              It's just as bad here, let's all move to Scotland
                              I've wanted to relocate to Durness for years but Mrs Shere Khan won't have it. 'Too Remote' she says. That's the point, I tell her. I'm not a fan of those dark chocolate Tunnocks Tea Cakes. Don't tamper with a classic.

Comment

Working...
                              X