A Dance to the Music of Time - help from London vultures mainly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dance to the Music of Time - help from London vultures mainly

Strange request. I'm reading A Dance to the Music of Time. I started when in a charity shopo I found the first three books gathered together as one quarter of the whole thing, this section being called Spring. I want to read the remaining nine books but, for some reason - call it bloodymindedness, I want to find them all in charity shops. There would be something satisfying about that. Inexplicably though, I won't deem it cheating if someone else finds the books for me... so, what I'm saying, is, if anyone finds anyone finds any of the books (except the first three) in a chazza anywhere please pick 'em up and I will be very grateful. Hurry though, Spring is drawing to a close...

Is it any good?
    I always assumed the only people who ever read it were students writing theses on the post-war English novel.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
      Is it any good?
      I always assumed the only people who ever read it were students writing theses on the post-war English novel.
      It has potential but I was disappointed with the lack of breasts, guns and car chases.
      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

I am similarly embroiled in Simon Raven's Alms for Oblivion series. No car chases yet, but breasts and guns aplenty.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Bloody hell. I´d never have had VG+ down as a nest of Proustian/Balzacian novel cycle fanboys.

I might have some Forsyte Saga raers somewhere.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
            It has potential but I was disappointed with the lack of breasts, guns and car chases.
            did you watch the tv version?

Comment

I haven't watched the tv version but apparently it's pretty faithful if hyper-speeded up. I can certainly recognise that that scene is when Barbara tips the sugar bowl on Widmerpool's head.

Is it any good?
              I think so. It's both touching and, at points, laugh out loud funny.

Comment

For what it's worth Bad Plus ivories tinkler, Ethan Iverson, is a major fan.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                  I can certainly recognise that that scene is when Barbara tips the sugar bowl on Widmerpool's head.
                  Clearly the inspiration for

Comment

Update on this. One of my friends found me books seven through twelve (with one missing) but now I'm really fiending on the fourth fifth and sixth books - anyone?

Comment

Could you post a pic of one please so i know what to look out for, Cheers

Comment

Surely... cheers, the one I bought was the first of these but I guess the individual ones have different covers

Comment

At Lady Molly's,Casanova's Chinese Restaurant and The Kindly Ones are the peak of the series I think - and also the easiest to find as individual vols - I have the Penguins and the later Fontanas, but not quite complete sets of either .... Pretty sure I have spares of all of those three though, but in Ireland. If you still haven't found them by Xmas, I'll being them back with me n the new year. And they were all gotten 2nd hand, though possbly not in charity shops
                          Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Fantastic thanks!

Comment

I bet she dances to the music of time...

Comment

Working...
                              X