Magazines worth buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazines worth buying

Prompted by the thread about music magazines I thought I'd start this one. I like to have a magazine to read but there seem to be so few about these days. 'The Listener' used to be one of my favourites but that's long gone. There are still a lot of magazines about now but I probably wouldn't be aware of them so I thought board members could give a few hints. Ideally I'm thinking of magazines which have a wide sweep of cultural matters within there pages. Some of the architecture magazines are quite interesting but they are just about architecture. Similarly some of the Art magazines. It would be nice if there was one which covered all spheres. What I'm not interested in is 'Style' magazines such as 'Wallpaper', and the like. Something like 'The New Statesman' with more music, books, art, and a sense of humour. I like the look of, but have never bought 'Monocle'. I get the 'London Review of Books' at the moment but it's not ideal.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

The Modernist

Always interesting.
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
      The Modernist

Always interesting.
      Yes, looks it. This is just the thing; you're unlikely to see it in a shop and unless someone recommends it you'll never know it's there.

Comment

Monocle's a bit i-creepy and cultish and not nearly as interesting as it thinks it is.
        Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
          Monocle's a bit i-creepy and cultish and not nearly as interesting as it thinks it is.
          It's also pretty expensive which is what's prevented me buying it when I've seen it while waiting for a train.

Comment

I subscribe to this - NORTHERN EARTH - it's very niche, but it's fascinating.
            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
              It's also pretty expensive which is what's prevented me buying it when I've seen it while waiting for a train.
              I sometimes do stuff on Monocle radio and they always give me copy. It's utter drivel. Over-written and shockingly dull.
              http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
                I sometimes do stuff on Monocle radio and they always give me copy. It's utter drivel. Over-written and shockingly dull.
                Okay, that's a NO to Monocle. So far we have 'The Modernist', which does look pretty good....... and that's it. 'Northern Earth' is going to be a bit too niche. Looks like I'll have to renew my 'London Review of Books' subscription. Anyone remember Manzine? I liked that.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                  I subscribe to this - NORTHERN EARTH - it's very niche, but it's fascinating.
                  I would so buy that. Shame there's no lifestyle section though.
                  "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                    I would so buy that. Shame there's no lifestyle section though.
                    I thought it was a lifestyle magazine??!
                    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Only one issue so far but it was great! (if you like that sort of thing)

http://www.blocksmag.com

Comment

Working...
                      X