Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cilla

Silly old fart reduced to tears in front of the TV (again) alert
    Did anyone else enjoy the 3 parter? We were hooked from the first episode, and finished watching them last night. I've always had a bit of a thing for "Step inside love", and when Sheridan Smith belted it out at the end of the final episode, it was all over....
    As has been said many times before, the Beeb excels at period dramas, and this was no exception. I believed it.I'd forgotten about the Cilla shows from '68, we used to watch them as a family when I was a nipper, so maybe that's something to do with my reaction.
    I thought Sheridan Smith was excellent. The scenes "in the Cavern" were genuinely exciting. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Gives me an excuse to post this up too

Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

I watched the first two episodes and will need to go online for the third.

I thought it was OK Paul. The look was right and the actors were perfectly believable.

Course it was on ITV rather than the Beeb Paul so they can't take the credit for that particular period drama
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I enjoyed it too Paul although I've not seen the final episode yet.

I too thought the music was spot on but I would say her go at 'Somebodys Always Trying' wasn't a patch on Kingsize Taylor's.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Watched it with my partner who knows far to much about mid-century clothes and ruined it by pointing out all the repros and dresses that were actually from a labels new line. Apparently Cilla wouldn't have worn red shoes with a green dress in the early 60's either. Haha, not really... I still enjoyed it.
        sigpic A Haunting Club

Comment

My better informed other half told me it was on the iplayer, and I just assumed that meant the Beeb.
          Guess who's in charge of the telly stuff round here?
          Everyone tear down your own little wall
          That keeps you from being a part of it all
          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
            Guess who's in charge of the telly stuff round here?
            Snap.
            sigpic A Haunting Club

Comment

Started watching it as my wife wanted to, and got sucked in - thought the music was handled well, actually felt authentic as opposed to the ususal fare. Sheridan Smith and Aneurin Barnard (now there's a name) were great, and playing spot the historical character was most enjoyable. Geezer playing George Martin was spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                Silly old fart reduced to tears in front of the TV (again) alert
                Did anyone else enjoy the 3 parter? We were hooked from the first episode, and finished watching them last night. I've always had a bit of a thing for "Step inside love", and when Sheridan Smith belted it out at the end of the final episode, it was all over....
                As has been said many times before, the Beeb excels at period dramas, and this was no exception. I believed it.I'd forgotten about the Cilla shows from '68, we used to watch them as a family when I was a nipper, so maybe that's something to do with my reaction.
                I thought Sheridan Smith was excellent. The scenes "in the Cavern" were genuinely exciting. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
                Gives me an excuse to post this up too

I watched and enjoyed it too - despite the seemingly gratuitous Brian Epstein scenes and the occasional prop faux pas - did they really have those 70s executive briefcases in the early 60s?

It also gives me an excuse to post up this:

and this track - from ETKs swap CD from a few years back - awesome piece:

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                  did they really have those 70s executive briefcases in the early 60s?
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

I rest my case...

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                      I rest my case...

Original Q was crap, wasn´t he?
                      that attache case should have fired the knife into the bollock region of a tailors dummy allowing Bond to raise an eyebrow and say "New ballsh, pleash", while lab-coated assistants light flame thrower cigarettes and incinerate each other in the background.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

One of my neighbours did the cameras for this, and seemed quite embarrassed to be associated with it, so she'll be pleased to hear folk out there dug it.
                        Didn't manage to find time to catch it myself, but this thread has provided me with an excuse to upload my fave Cilla track, which inexplicably wasn't on YouTube before!

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Working...
                        X