Northern Soul the film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Soul the film

Thought we'd go and see it in the cinema. Checking the venues showing it, I was amazed at how many have sold out. Going to Screen On The Green Islington Sunday afternoon, looking forward to it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29593090
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Spoilt Broth are deejaying the Saffron Walden showing but that's not until the second wave in November.

Going to see it in Bury St Edmunds this Friday. I do hope it's above 'Heartbeat' standard. I'm sure it will be but will it come anywhere close to the hype? There's a really good feature/interview with Elaine Constantine in the current issue of Scootering Magazine.
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Hope it lives up to the hype. If it does, we'll see you in SW.

Comment

Saw it last night with Col.

It's not the greatest film in the world, but for a first time effort I thought it was pretty bloody good.

The Director/Writer's love of the music and scene really comes across on screen and there are some great performances from the main characters. I understand they probably needed some 'names' to gain funding, but the inclusion of Lisa Stansfield, Ricky Tomlinson and Steve Coogan did nothing to improve the film and IMHO I'd have preferred for their parts to be played by unknowns as per the younger cast members, who did so well with what was at times a somewhat patchy script.

All in all well worth seeing. Three Spencer's Soul Bags out of five.
        it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
        take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

This is almost as good as the film though. I actually LOL'ed by resisted the urge to ROFL

it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
          take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

If the film is half as good as that I'll be well happy H.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad it wasn't too "slick". Great tunes throughout. Quite gritty, with a decent dollop of humour, but as you said H, the love for the music comes blazing through. I applaud her for that. Spontaneous audience applause at the end too.

Comment

Wanted to get a copy of the soundtrack, and saw the 45 box set. Anyone heard what the 45s in the set sound like?

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                  Wanted to get a copy of the soundtrack, and saw the 45 box set. Anyone heard what the 45s in the set sound like?
                  Was wondering that. The box sets look ace don't they
                  Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

I just keep thinking of this in particular on 45. Yummy

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      I just keep thinking of this in particular on 45. Yummy
                      Should be able to get a green boot easy enough I'd have thought? I don't keep up with Northern pricing much, but there always used to be tonnes about.

Comment

Loads of pressings of this. Styrenes are original. Light green label with Detroit address is original. Orange label with Wylie credit is original. Orange label with Wylia credit isn't original. Dark green label isn't original. Pea green label isn't original.
                        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Col's nailed it. Quality info...

Personally speaking, avoid the green label bootleg - the sound quality is awful...
                          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Cheers for the info chaps. To tell the truth, I don't pick up much Northern Soul, which is why I was considering the box set, to stock up relatively cheaply. But it wouldn't be worth it if the sound is only as good as the one Sie refers to. If no one has heard them, I might just dive in and report back.
                            Mrs Treeboy enjoyed the film so much that we'll be heading up to 'Walden for a second dose with a few in tow

Comment

Working...
                            X