Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wolf Hall

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wolf Hall

    Anyone else enjoying this?

    Two episodes in and I am firmly in the "best historical drama since I Claudius" camp. It's so damn relentlessly intense, every pregnant pause, glance, candle snuffing or animal handling episode seems loaded with powerful (if sometimes somewhat obscure) significance. Found myself holding my breath during Cromwell's manipulative interactions with the king last night.

    And it's beautifully shot.


  • #2
    I haven´t seen but I bet that's Henry VIII on the left
    The "akimbo" stance is absolutely vital for Henry VIIIs.

    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Separated at birth? No, hold on...

      Comment


      • #4
        Body language is also important in conveying messages like "I am a weasel"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
          Body language is also important in conveying messages like "I am a weasel"

          Hats are equally important in conveying this.

          A colleague has just been moaning about Wolf Hall, saying that it was annoying that they didn't make it clearer that it was Thomas Cromwell rather than Oliver Cromwell.
          Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 29-01-2015, 02:51 PM.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am enjoying the programme but, from a pedants point of view, I'm always surprised that the authenticity they strive for in these programmes never takes the gardens into account. These people are strolling around in front of Yew hedges which would have been mere saplings if they were there at all.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
              I am enjoying the programme but, from a pedants point of view, I'm always surprised that the authenticity they strive for in these programmes never takes the gardens into account. These people are strolling around in front of Yew hedges which would have been mere saplings if they were there at all.


              Bet the lawns are like bowling greens too with ne'er a scythe mark in sight.
              <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

              Comment


              • #8
                Some musing on Henry VIIIs gardening practices.

                FACTOID:
                "a squash will bear fruit after nine days if planted in the ashes of human bones and watered with oil."

                FACTOID:
                "They predicted the invention of bagged mixed salads by hundreds of years."

                Comment


                • #9
                  I found myself wondering who had put the elasticated neckline on Cromwell's blouson.
                  SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                    FACTOID:
                    "a squash will bear fruit after nine days if planted in the ashes of human bones and watered with oil."
                    A brick will bear fruit after that sort of witchy pampering.
                    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                      A brick will bear fruit after that sort of witchy pampering.
                      I think I had this at a vegetarian restaurant once.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                        A colleague has just been moaning about Wolf Hall, saying that it was annoying that they didn't make it clearer that it was Thomas Cromwell rather than Oliver Cromwell.
                        It was touch and go for me until I figured out it was Thomas More and not Dudley Moore. Or Patrick Moore, Demi Moore or Baltimore.
                        Last edited by Sonovox; 29-01-2015, 06:23 PM. Reason: Cut off in my prime

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post

                          A colleague has just been moaning about Wolf Hall, saying that it was annoying that they didn't make it clearer that it was Thomas Cromwell rather than Oliver Cromwell.
                          Alan Partridge has exactly the same Cromwell confusion at the 2.25 mark

                          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Is Ann Boleyn's splendidly bearded lover and sonnet pioneer Robert Wyatt in it?

                            Sorry, Thomas Wyatt. Fucking brilliant beard and sonnets, anyway.

                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              Is Ann Boleyn's splendidly bearded lover and sonnet pioneer Robert Wyatt in it?

                              Sorry, Thomas Wyatt. Fucking brilliant beard and sonnets, anyway.

                              I'm sure I saw him on the news the other week running that Cereal Killer Cafe?
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X