Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf Hall

Anyone else enjoying this?

Two episodes in and I am firmly in the "best historical drama since I Claudius" camp. It's so damn relentlessly intense, every pregnant pause, glance, candle snuffing or animal handling episode seems loaded with powerful (if sometimes somewhat obscure) significance. Found myself holding my breath during Cromwell's manipulative interactions with the king last night.

And it's beautifully shot.

I haven´t seen but I bet that's Henry VIII on the left
    The "akimbo" stance is absolutely vital for Henry VIIIs.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Separated at birth? No, hold on...

Comment

Body language is also important in conveying messages like "I am a weasel"

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
          Body language is also important in conveying messages like "I am a weasel"

Hats are equally important in conveying this.

A colleague has just been moaning about Wolf Hall, saying that it was annoying that they didn't make it clearer that it was Thomas Cromwell rather than Oliver Cromwell.
          Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 29-01-2015, 02:51 PM.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

I am enjoying the programme but, from a pedants point of view, I'm always surprised that the authenticity they strive for in these programmes never takes the gardens into account. These people are strolling around in front of Yew hedges which would have been mere saplings if they were there at all.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
              I am enjoying the programme but, from a pedants point of view, I'm always surprised that the authenticity they strive for in these programmes never takes the gardens into account. These people are strolling around in front of Yew hedges which would have been mere saplings if they were there at all.

Bet the lawns are like bowling greens too with ne'er a scythe mark in sight.
              <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Some musing on Henry VIIIs gardening practices.

FACTOID:
                "a squash will bear fruit after nine days if planted in the ashes of human bones and watered with oil."

FACTOID:
                "They predicted the invention of bagged mixed salads by hundreds of years."

Comment

I found myself wondering who had put the elasticated neckline on Cromwell's blouson.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                    FACTOID:
                    "a squash will bear fruit after nine days if planted in the ashes of human bones and watered with oil."
                    A brick will bear fruit after that sort of witchy pampering.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                      A brick will bear fruit after that sort of witchy pampering.
                      I think I had this at a vegetarian restaurant once.

Comment

A colleague has just been moaning about Wolf Hall, saying that it was annoying that they didn't make it clearer that it was Thomas Cromwell rather than Oliver Cromwell.
                        It was touch and go for me until I figured out it was Thomas More and not Dudley Moore. Or Patrick Moore, Demi Moore or Baltimore.
                        Last edited by Sonovox; 29-01-2015, 06:23 PM. Reason: Cut off in my prime

Comment

Alan Partridge has exactly the same Cromwell confusion at the 2.25 mark

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Is Ann Boleyn's splendidly bearded lover and sonnet pioneer Robert Wyatt in it?

Sorry, Thomas Wyatt. Fucking brilliant beard and sonnets, anyway.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              Is Ann Boleyn's splendidly bearded lover and sonnet pioneer Robert Wyatt in it?

Sorry, Thomas Wyatt. Fucking brilliant beard and sonnets, anyway.

I'm sure I saw him on the news the other week running that Cereal Killer Cafe?
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X