Perfect Casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Casting

OK I'll kick this off with a blindingly obvious one, but one that'll be tough to top. You can only imagine the conversation.

Director: So who do we have lined up for the Child Catcher audition?
    Casting Director: 'There's this accomplished Australian ballet dancer I've seen. Unusual face but we should try him. I think his ballet moves could give the character a creepier edge.

Robert Helpmann as the Child Catcher > Perfect Casting

<<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Lane & Broderick and all others get the bozak.

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post

Lane & Broderick and all others get the bozak.
      You beat me too it!

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
        You beat me too it!

Aparrently Dustin Hoffman was signed up for Bloom right up till shooting but he asked to be released from it so he could go for The Graduate.

Comment

Michael Caine in "the ipcress file"

Comment

Jean-Pierre Leaud in 'Les Quatre Cents Coups' (The 400 Blows).

Boy George knew my father

Comment

Paul Darrow as Avon in Blake's 7.

Comment

Even wore his own clothes for the part.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Anna Karina "une femme et une femme"

Comment

Henry Fonda, Once Upon a Time in the West

and in a similar vein Richard Gere in Internal Affairs:

Comment

Originally posted by ninja simone View Post
                        Henry Fonda, Once Upon a Time in the West
                        I´ve always thought he´s miscast in that film, as is Bronson.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                          I agree with you on Bronson but not Fonda.

It's regularly documented as deliberate casting-against-type, being the total opposite of Fonda's wholesome good guy persona up to that point but I think it works brilliantly outside of that frame of reference too.
                          <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post
                            Aparrently Dustin Hoffman was signed up for Bloom right up till shooting but he asked to be released from it so he could go for The Graduate.
                            Nice cross-thread synchronicity with the Brrrrritish Esperantist here. (Winter Edition)

So... if Burt Ward had taken the lead role of the Graduate, ...then Hoffman would have been in The Producers as Bloom
                            but..I can't envision Gene Wilder as Robin.

Holy Thespian Roundabout Batman!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                              I agree with you on Bronson but not Fonda.

It's regularly documented as deliberate casting-against-type, being the total opposite of Fonda's wholesome good guy persona up to that point but I think it works brilliantly outside of that frame of reference too.
                              I never particularly had a problem with Bronson myself (and his character is suitably monosyllabic as Bronson always was) but I always thought that casting Fonda as the antithesis of every other part he'd played up to that point was a stroke of genius. And he's convincingly evil. Just as with Richard Gere in Internal Affairs he was so safely type-cast as a 'goodie' in all of his previous roles that in this one his evilness dramatically heightened as a result.

Although Internal Affairs (being an eighties film) probably hasn't dated well in some respects, that going-against-type aspect remains pretty powerful. I remember seeing it in the cinema when it came out without knowing a thing about it and for quite a while you're led to believe that Gere is playing his stereotypical 'good guy' - until it suddenly becomes apparent that he's extremely far from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X