Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social critique in newer genre films (Nerd alert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social critique in newer genre films (Nerd alert)

Nerdy question for the forum:
    I love the recent dark (sci-fi) dramas like The Road, Moon, Hurtlocker and Winter's Bone. But do they merely repeat previous periods' critique of society like the New Hollywood classics, or do they bring anything new, style or content wise? Winter's Bone, Joe, Killer Joe and others certainly describe the problems of a post-recession USA, but besides that? What do the forum think? (Maybe a question for a lenghy dissertation ... )

Well, I'd have to have a think and a look at what I'd seen recently, but maybe the problem is that there isn't an active social critique out there generally? Not in the way that there used to be. The Left has gradually lost its power over the last 20 years or so - the Soviet Union going down and an offensive by the Right have both happened in tandem, and the effect of this has been to push social discourse and politics to the Right. In recent years, new movements like Occupy have sprung up but they've been stomped on rather ruthlessly with all that lovely surveillance technology and firepower that's the side effect of the War on Terror.

I can think of a few British films that seem to me to questions some of this country's narratives about class, but they are still rooted in a traditional Left sensibility. (Fishtank, and the documentary The Arborspring to mind but they're not really genre films).

Incidentally, I saw Inherent Vice last night. I didn't like it much 'cos I feel I was cruelly mis-sold by the trailer ,but I'll rewatch it at some point. I read into it - or projected - a crushing sense of disappointment about the death of 60s idealism. The radicalism of the 60s reduced to period drama.

I have no idea if this answers your question or not.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

De Palma´s Redacted is still the angriest Iraq war film I´ve seen. It's flawed - it goes for the "few bad apples" theory, and it´s use of found footage is pretty unbelievable (slthough exciting) ; but it´s also passionate and asks some tough questions.

The only other recent US film I can think of with an element of contemporary social critique that I admired was Killing them Softly, but I didn´t like the actual film much

Class-based movies like Elysium and Snowpiercer totally miss the point. I ´d take the Hunger Games over those two, to be honest.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
      X