Tubby Hayes - A Man In A Hurry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubby Hayes - A Man In A Hurry

Trailer for a documentary on Tubby Hayes!!!

Ahhhhh, Mexican Green
    The Sound of Salvation blog

Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
    Vault mint

Comment

Cool and about time!
      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Looking forward to it
        But I'm not convinced he was Britain's premier jazzman - perhaps the doc will show me the error of my ways?
        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Who do you think of when you think of England's premier jazz man? I prefer Michael Garrick myself, but I don't think he would fit the bill. Not that there has to be one, of course, I just wondered what you thought. I suppose it would have to be based on a combination of artistry, influence, profile, etc.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
            Who do you think of when you think of England's premier jazz man? .
            George Shearing is the Cary Grant of jazz
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Comment

Melly serenaded me with a saucy song when I was only 22.
                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                  Who do you think of when you think of England's premier jazz man? I prefer Michael Garrick myself, but I don't think he would fit the bill. Not that there has to be one, of course, I just wondered what you thought. I suppose it would have to be based on a combination of artistry, influence, profile, etc.
                  The word premier is pretty vague - does it refer to popularity, influence, admiration of peers, record sales????
                  For me Tubby was at his best in the a large group format - he only really started small groups in the late 60s
                  He recorded some great stuff but by no means everything he touched was gold.
                  You could make an argument for Mr Acker Bilk, Joe Harriott (if he counts as British!), Victor Feldman, John McLoughlan,
                  There are lots of Brit players I prefer - but sometime I think what puts him in the 'premier British player' category was that he seemed to play and live like American musicians
                  "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Comment

prob a bit of early death fetish, and the consequential lack of sad decline giving a view of some stellar untainted output. v highly regarded by many US jazzers and forged a prodigious path on multi-instruments. agreed the output is patchy in laces but there's some real hights.

scarcity of the key items drives additional fetishism, of course. Impressed/Repressed inflated that bubble too, as it did with a few others.

this might give a bit of insight...

http://jazzscript.co.uk/extra/art.hayes.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                      Victor Feldman

Superb.

Lets have a docu on him too.

Comment

And the tale/ legend has it that Tubby got his vibes from Vic when Feldman moved to the US. And learned them on the bus home.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                          And the tale/ legend has it that Tubby got his vibes from Vic when Feldman moved to the US. And learned them on the bus home.
                          Must have been some bus!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                            Must have been some bus!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                              Now I see why Vic couldn't take them to the Stated
                              Right hand drive!

Comment

Working...
                              X