Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing Much To Do But Sit And Rot In Front Of Television (SFA-related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing Much To Do But Sit And Rot In Front Of Television (SFA-related)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...-furry-animals

Caught this while on my Lake District break (cottage telly had BT Vision, which I snooped through during a rain break).

Really enjoyable, particularly the sections on how the band came together (I was completely oblivious to the Welsh language scene that the various members had been successful in, prior to SFA's formation). Also reminded me what a strong back catalogue they've got, without wanting to sound like a bandwagon-jumping, zeitgeist seizer, but I always had the biggest soft spot for Mwng. Quite good fun (but not without risk) to just sing along phonetically, without having a clue what you're on about.

In Welsh, but with English subtitles. Which, in itself, is great. Fair play to iPlayer for having loads of Welsh language (and Gaelic?) stuff on there.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

I was very lucky to get a fairly last minute ticket for yesterday's gig. A friend had work he couldn't get out of so I did the decent thing and gave him full face value for the ticket!

It was all the old SFA costumed craziness with costumes and fur and a brass section (The Barry Horns) centre stage. Nothing 'new' in the song department, but my, a lot of extended stoner rock versions of the classics went down really well with a rather boisterous crowd. By the time I got home I absolutely honked of beer - and I only had a bottle of water all evening!

£35 for the 3 lp re release of Mwng but good to see they know their demographic has aged slightly, the merch stall last night had tea towels and bobble hats.

Comment

S4C has been awash with the supes back catalogue. From Gryff Rhys' American Interior, to Super Furry Classics (which is hilarious in its pretentiousness) To a few new interviews items on Welsh language music Program Ochr 1.

As for mwng. Its a lovely album.. It epitomises the landscape I grew up in and am glad to call home
      sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Nice doc, do love the Furries.

As Ben says, I was completely unawares of previous bands of the various members. What I did think was interesting was that every single band they were in seems to have been archived - so (what look like TV) live performances, videos, interviews etc, but they must have been fairly small bands? Is it because they were welsh speaking, so there was support for the scene on S4c etc etc?

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
          Nice doc, do love the Furries.

As Ben says, I was completely unawares of previous bands of the various members. What I did think was interesting was that every single band they were in seems to have been archived - so (what look like TV) live performances, videos, interviews etc, but they must have been fairly small bands? Is it because they were welsh speaking, so there was support for the scene on S4c etc etc?
          There was a lot of support from S4C Benny, but also other European music shows. There was a program called Video 9 that used to have a designated spot showing non English music so each week there would be French, German Cosmische, Italian , Palistilian Spanish Avat Garde ect. I imagine that videos from Utant , Ffa Coffi Pawb ect would be broadcast too on more adventurous Euromusic channels. John Peel was a fan and was one of the British DJs that played alot of alternative Welsh music at the time
          sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Working...
          X