Channel 5's 'Football League Tonight'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel 5's 'Football League Tonight'

Did anyone else see this last night?.....I'd always been reasonably OK with the format of the Beeb's 'Football League Show' - it was a bit dull I know and presenter Manish Bhasin was hardly brimming over with personality, but the pundits (Steve Claridge, Leroy Rosenior) were of respectable pedigree and offered decent analysis plus it got through the highlights in a systematic format (the higher your teams division, the sooner you saw them.) On the downside, Clem's location films were often a bit patronising and then there was the main bugbear, the late starting hour....even following a Championship side, there was a fair chance you'd have dropped off before they appeared.....

So when the news came that Channel 5 had acquired the rights to show the League highlights and that their new show would start at the viewer friendly hour of 9pm (allowing the follow on to 'Match Of The Day' if desired) I was actually quite pleased. It's football.....show highlights...garnish with required amounts of build up, post match interviews and analysis...simple....and Channel 5's live football coverage had always been fairly straightforward, unremarkable perhaps but largely acceptable....what's to go wrong, then?

Following the crap theme tune (no change from the Beeb there...) we were welcomed by much whooping and hollering into a claustrophobic studio overpopulated by assorted footy fans standing around like spare parts in front of a cheap and garish set featuring some oversized 'League Ladders' of the kind given away by 'Shoot' magazine in the 70s and the league trophies themselves. The presenters, Kelly Cates (nee Dalglish) and George Riley seemed reasonably OK in themselves - a rolling 'expert' analyst format is employed, and first up was Adam Virgo......(no, me neither.....)

I soldiered on, buoyed by the news that the game featuring my own team, Sheffield Wednesday, against newly promoted Bristol City would be the 'featured' game. It was first up, the 'feature' lasting all of around 8 mins, including preamble, highlights, post match interviews and a rather unnecessary 'my eye' (whatever that may be) from Michael Vaughn taking up a whole minute. At least we won 2-0. The coverage then wandered into League One to show Sheffield United's 4-0 defeat at Gillingham - taking it division by division wasn't in the plan then. Well I'd got off very light, but it was hard to get a grip on the rest of the action with the laboured party atmosphere, games being shown at random and the guest Martin Allen looking suitably uncomfortable, after about half an hour I could take no more.....and we're in for three years of this?

In all this was reminiscent of the Beeb's recent 'Wimbledon2Day" debacle, undermining the intelligence of the viewer, failing to take the sport seriously enough and eschewing analysis in favour of 'banter' and 'celebrity' bollocks. It seems that C5 had taken Sky's 'Soccer AM' as their basic template - nothing wrong with that show, but that serves a different purpose - I've no objection to coverage of the 'matchday experience' and related twittery/instagramming, but that should be kept well apart from the main coverage of the sport itself - remember, it's precisely because that 'matchday experience' is now so costly that many football fans rely on the highlights package as a lifeline.

Channel 5 need to sort this out - and quickly!
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

It is absolutely terrible. I very much doubt they will stick to mixing up the leagues. Way too confusing and spoils the flow. Audience participation/grinning head nodders/forced japery is extremely tiresome. I was no fan of the BBC show either and find nothing good to say about the Rosenior (fence-sitting and stating the obvious) Claridge (comes across like a depressed ex-squaddie down on his luck) combo.

All you need do is 'favourite' this link for all necessary game action (and appears hours before the TV shows begin) http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...s/championship

I tuned in to MOTD too and turned off after 20 mins. It's so jaded. I do not want elongated pundit analysis. A show without boring punditry and more game time shown would be a winner (and would cost producers less too).
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Who could ever keep up with those Shoot league ladders? Mine never matched the league tables in the back of the Sunday paper. I used to give up after about a month.
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Every time I return to the UK I´m shocked by how dull TV and radio football coverage is. Who wants dull, informed pundits bantering when you can have a studio full of grown men screaming at each other and occasionaly having a scuffle?

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

It was shite wasn't it?

Their lack of thought was exemplified by Kelly Cates complaining she couldn't hear what the audience member was saying..... well, don't ask him a question if you're not gonna mic him up!!

Why do TV producers think having a live audience adds anything? Because Top Gear does it and that program is a hit, they seem to think this is one of the main factors...... it isn't!! I dunno about other footy fans but all I want is the highlights/goals in order, plus the tables - everything else is gravy. Channel 5 getting the contract was always gonna be a ballache cos of the ads but I'm someone who loves watching footy and I turned this off after half an hour. It's gonna need major retooling....

FYI - Adam Virgo was a solid if unspectacular full back who played for Brighton & Celtic among others.
          "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Moan moan moan. I sometimes think that´s the only reason people support lower-flight sides.

Things look very different when you´re top of the premiership.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Well, having clearly been living in a bubble for a while I had no idea channel 5 had got the rights. I had been searching the BBC listings for it at the weekend and couldn't figure out what had happened. Was toiling through MOTD thinking that I actually oftentimes enjoy seeing the lower league highlights a bit more. Not liking the sound of the format but will give it a chance next week.

As someone said up page, Adam Virgo turned out for my team Celtic but I could never quite see whatever the scouts had seen at Brighton where by all accounts he was a favourite. Never really looked in shape to be honest. Still, better than some of the 'strikers' we've signed over the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                Moan moan moan. I sometimes think that´s the only reason people support lower-flight sides.

Things look very different when you´re top of the premiership.
                Just 37 games left till you're champions.... as long as there are no more racially sensitive incidents, of course...

"Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

...and right on cue....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33914718
                  record licker

Comment

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X