Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eBay ridiculously slow of late - or is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay ridiculously slow of late - or is it just me?

Surfin' the 'bay has become a bit more akin to rowing through treacle here at Chicken Towers in the last week or two - and I can't pin this one on Windows 10 either as it was bad before and it's just as bad after! I've done all I reasonably can on my PC to alleviate the problem, but to no avail....pages never fully loading and taking ages to change - anyone else having issues?
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Not used my laptop for months but have been on ebay via iPad and windows phone with no problems everyday both at home and out and about. Bit of am IT Crowd solution but have you tried rebooting your router?

Comment

I have noticed for a while now it is very slow, I mentioned it to a mate at work and he said it could be to do with the amount of adverts on page, he is going to look at putting and AD blocker on to my lap top so these do not appear and so in theory speed the browsing up!

i'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Originally posted by korova View Post
        Not used my laptop for months but have been on ebay via iPad and windows phone with no problems everyday both at home and out and about. Bit of am IT Crowd solution but have you tried rebooting your router?
        Cheers Korova - yes, I had rebooted a couple of times and tried once more for luck, but no dice - and I've cleaned out my e-mail, temp files,optimised my drives ('none required') and upgraded my graphics driver....etc,etc....

Originally posted by geoff whitfield View Post
        I have noticed for a while now it is very slow, I mentioned it to a mate at work and he said it could be to do with the amount of adverts on page, he is going to look at putting and AD blocker on to my lap top so these do not appear and so in theory speed the browsing up!

i'll let you know how I get on.
        Thanks Geoff, you may be on to something - there's some evidence of others having even more pronounced problems than mine (see here for example) and I've seen talk of ad blockers elsewhere - yeah, deffo keep us posted!

Comment

I've been having the same problem intermittently for a few weeks now. There are so many variables in this, can't pin it on anything specific but my children also complain of slowness on their devices so assume it must be our good old internet provider (Virgin), or the saturation of users on our fibre run. Definitely worse at certain times of day. Rebooting the router sometimes improves it, sometimes not.
          Interestingly I was on holiday in Cornwall for a few days last week and used the B&Bs internet connection. It was either completely unusable or really sanppy - much better than I have experienced at home for many months. Although off the beaten track a bit they were on fibre and their provider was Talk Talk. Have been faithful to Virgin for many years but made me think it could be worth a change. Since I have been "supercharged" to 50mb I have found a gradual worseniong of browsing experiece, although at the same time download and upload speeds are better. It's a minefield.

(I am running adblockers so don't know if that will help you.)

Comment

firefox with all the adblocks installed and it loads fast enough.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Yes, it's a tricky cove, this one. Like Candiman. I'm on Virgin too so this may have a bearing. I'm also a Chrome user and this seems more susceptible to the problem although I'm loathe to change browser. It certainly hasn't improved this evening so far - the site loads quickly enough, but within a few clicks, everything's back in super slo-mo, drop down lists...don't, it takes an age for entered text to appear and it keeps intermittently suggesting I have two items in my basket which I know I don't as they're in the post on the way here.

Many online have opined that eBay have a problem they're not admitting to, but this might just be cynical speculation - my PC seems to be functioning fine although I was suffering from some irritating interference while streaming the football this evening - but hey - that's Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville for you...ah well, probably best to wait and see what happens for now, I'm sure a fix will emerge....

Comment

Since my general moan here on my slow internet in the last couple of days it has got a lot better, in fact it has been completely behaving itself. I have done nothing to bring this about. A problem somewhere was fixed?... or a neighbour who soaks up the bandwidth on our local link has gone on holiday? Who knows?

(I should qualify that my slow internet was a general problem, not just ebay).

Comment

Working...
                X