Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me some great on-line articles please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some great on-line articles please....

Idea shamelessly stolen from Waxidermy. (Please post a link here if someone started a similar thread recently?)

Easy idea. If you've just read something you thoroughly enjoyed, post a link up here!

Kicking off with this one from the Waxidermy thread, a 2009 article called 'The End of Solitude' which interestingly touches upon the death of sustained reading.....

http://chronicle.com/article/The-End-of-Solitude/3708
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Will fish other highlights from over there as and when and add ones I have found all by myself this year.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

I won't say it's great (it's not great), but I wondered what you thought of it.

The Evil of Banality
      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
        I won't say it's great (it's not great), but I wondered what you thought of it.

The Evil of Banality
        Superb writing! Seriously. ��
        Goddamn it man you should be doing a PhD, not me.

I particularly like the part about new houses. I am currently scrabbling around for the academic study that linked the purchase of brand new houses (and cars, and sofas, and candles etc) to people who never pursued any form of higher education. It sounds terribly snobbish know, but through field studies the author made a very strong case for his argument, which he expanded to to include their complete antipathy to buying anything second-hand or used, or setting foot in charity shops or similar. He also extended his portrait ito include their slavish devotion to spotless cleanliness at all times, their hatred of clutter and a propensity to repeat the phrase 'I love my kids' over and over again lije a badge of honour.

It was a compelling read and supported a lot of my own observations I made when home-visiting parents who kept their kids off school!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
          I am currently scrabbling around for the academic study that linked the purchase of brand new houses (and cars, and sofas, and candles etc) to people who never pursued any form of higher education.
          That sounds familiar. Is that the Joseph Rowntree Foundation's Building Lifetime Homes report from the late 90s? I did some work for DCLG a while back and I know I know what you are talking about... I can't remember title and its the JRF one that springs to mind..... I've probably still got a box of reports in the basement at work....
          the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
            Superb writing! Seriously. ��
            Goddamn it man you should be doing a PhD, not me.

I particularly like the part about new houses. I am currently scrabbling around for the academic study that linked the purchase of brand new houses (and cars, and sofas, and candles etc) to people who never pursued any form of higher education. It sounds terribly snobbish know, but through field studies the author made a very strong case for his argument, which he expanded to to include their complete antipathy to buying anything second-hand or used, or setting foot in charity shops or similar. He also extended his portrait ito include their slavish devotion to spotless cleanliness at all times, their hatred of clutter and a propensity to repeat the phrase 'I love my kids' over and over again lije a badge of honour.

It was a compelling read and supported a lot of my own observations I made when home-visiting parents who kept their kids off school!
            Thanks for the kind words, Ian.

I think what you are talking about here is working class people who, having made more money than their parents, live in hermetically sealed magnolia boxes with tasteful, minimal interiors and big studio photographs of themselves and their children over the mantelpiece. I know lots of these people, and I understand where they're coming from. It's generally a reaction to the shitty conditions they were brought up in. When asked why all his furniture was brand new, Elvis said 'do you think I ever want to see another 'antique'?

I've come to realise that the main division in life is not class, or cash but taste, and the people we like best are people who have the same aesthetic as us. They would sneer at us in the same way we would scowl at them. My brother doesn't know why I have piles of records everywhere; I can't understand why he doesn't. Most of all I wonder where all his stuff is. He probably thinks I should go on Compulsive Hoarders or whatever its called.

Comment

I enjoyed that article GK, as I do all of your blogging output.

I promise I will come back tomorrow and post some links to some of my favourite online articles which are infinitely better than anything I could contemplate doing but, in the meantime, seeing GK's work has prompted me to put this online for the first time: Cliff.
              Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I really enjoyed that, Jim, clearly you and I need to talk about Cliff. I've been obsessed with him since I was a kid, not because of his music but because of his bizarre persona. I won't say I always thought there was something weird about him, but there was always something I couldn't quite put my finger on (not the best choice of words, perhaps). After your Sinatra piece and this I would definitely read any sort of book you would write. If I am going to be slightly critical, I got a bit lost with the future tense, but that's probably just me. Write more, please, much more.

Here's a bit about Cliff I wrote a couple of years ago. It's his 75th birthday next week, and he's going to be arrested shortly, so our mini Cliff-fest is very timely.

FOR CLIFF'S SAKE

Comment

This is a really thorough article covering the rise (and fall?) of the most influential rapper of the last ten years: http://www.thefader.com/2015/10/01/g...y-hard-to-kill

The depth of research here is amazing. Dudes here may dislike his music but it gives you lots of fascinating behind the scenes, shape of the industry insights. Plenty of links included therein if you wanna catch up!
                  "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Self-promo:

Interview with 'random rap' producer DJ TNT http://othersounds.com/interview-tnt/

Soulshock interview http://othersounds.com/interview-car...lshock-schack/

Comment

GK - thanks for reading and for the kind words. I enjoyed your Cliff piece too. He's just so enthralling, particularly as very few of us remember a time when he wasn't a phenomenon. You're right about the tenses thing too. I always end up needing to give these things a major tidy up after the fact but I'm trying to be a touch more relaxed about it as otherwise I end up with a hard drive full of unfinished, unpublished things. There's one that might be done with some time before too long. It's not about music but it is about sand dunes.

Ian, Danny, Headless - thanks for the tips, I look forward to reading them.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                        I enjoyed that article GK, as I do all of your blogging output.

I promise I will come back tomorrow and post some links to some of my favourite online articles which are infinitely better than anything I could contemplate doing but, in the meantime, seeing GK's work has prompted me to put this online for the first time: Cliff.
                        Excellent. I know very little of Cliff but I love the way the rhythm of your piece hypnotically wraps him up as a mystery inside an enigma.

Sent me off to find out more too as I had to know who the Prime Minister was and I guessed right. It certainly looks as though a Judgement Day, however it falls and plays out, is very, very close for him.

Comment

GK my brother is the same ... minimalist .... hates car boots and charity / second hand ... I like what you say about wondering where all your brother's stuff is . We ain't hoarders . We just have an interest .
                          I have many friends with these clean / tedious / clutter free abodes and I have a recurring nightmare that involves me getting locked of these soul free dwellings ...
                          Rockwell
                          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Ian - I'm glad you enjoyed it. For a lot of reasons, some of them wrapped up with a grandmother who really liked him, I find him hypnotising. Some of my earliest musical memories are of my grandmother telling me about how she felt seeing Cliff live had lifted her out of anxiety and depression (temporarily, sadly). She was probably the first true fan I ever encountered.

Comment

Here is the best new article I've read all year. For fans of obsessive men and their hobbies, friendship and tradition (that is, most of us here): http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...featherbowling

Comment

Working...
                              X