Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10cc

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 10cc

    Very interesting doc on iPlayer about 10cc from Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders to inventing the pop video !

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...-story-of-10cc
    - - - -

    Maybe its downbeat with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals but it is an excellent example of a downbeat mix with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals


    A heathen, conceivably, but not, I hope, an unenlightened one

    http://www.mixcloud.com/paulhillery/

  • #2
    Watched it last night on the telly. Really enjoyed it. Still thought the best tune on it was You Stole My Love though. 10cc were a great pop band, no two ways about it. I remember Consequences coming out and all the hoo-ha around the Gizmo. Didn't go a lot on that stuff personally. Good to hear the amusing back stories on certain tracks, especially the odd-ball Hotlegs 45. Worth a watch.
    Last edited by treeboy; 07-12-2015, 05:18 PM.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pH View Post
      Very interesting doc on iPlayer about 10cc from Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders to inventing the pop video !

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...-story-of-10cc
      Have this recorded and awaiting a watch.

      As for inventing the pop video - they've been around since the 40s - called "soundies" then

      Comment


      • #4
        The claim isn't that they invented filming bands, but that they were the first people to match bikini clad models having a pillow fight to the music of Duran Duran.
        Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 07-12-2015, 07:50 AM.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

        Comment


        • #5
          Love 10CC and Sheet Music is another of those LPs I can still sing-a-long to, word perfect.

          Took me two decades to get the pun in the LP title though!
          <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

          Comment


          • #6
            Not listened to them for years, but heard a bit of this towards the end of the programme and had forgotten how nice it was.

            10cc - Old Wild Men


            reminds me a bit of The High Llamas.

            Also had forgotten they did those Neil Sedaka "comeback" albums - my parents have those as well as 10cc, and my mum used to like The Mindbenders, so it all makes sense.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bongolia View Post
              reminds me a bit of The High Llamas.
              The definition of 'damning with faint praise'. I saw the High Llamas on their first tour. After about half an hour Sean O'Hagan moaned 'why don't some of you get up and dance?' to which someone in the audience replied 'why don't you play something that's faster than a Viennese Waltz?'.
              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

              Comment


              • #8
                No, that was meant as a compliment, I love The High Llamas, got all the albums from Gideon Gaye onwards. Although pretty poor live I agree (not really "live" music though, surprised he bothers to play live at all).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Talking of 10cc related videos, I may have to investigate the film this is the theme of... car chase into a bullring gets top marks from me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Graham Gouldman also did the Animalympics sound track!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Enjoyed this doc a lot seeing as I've never picked up a 10cc lp but appreciate what great songwriters they all were.

                      Can't front on the fact they did the music for the 1st Ramases lp and according to Wiki did a lot of the Kasenetz-Katz material.
                      "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                        The claim isn't that they invented filming bands, but that they were the first people to match bikini clad models having a pillow fight to the music of Duran Duran.


                        And the "Best use of 10cc music in a TV play" award goes to...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                          No, that was meant as a compliment, I love The High Llamas, got all the albums from Gideon Gaye onwards. Although pretty poor live I agree (not really "live" music though, surprised he bothers to play live at all).
                          Another huge fan here too. Love their stuff but as B suggests...not really a band to see live unless the venue is crammed full of sofas and the sound system is great. Definitely a mellow, easy listening experience for me.
                          <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                            Another huge fan here too. Love their stuff but as B suggests...not really a band to see live unless the venue is crammed full of sofas and the sound system is great. Definitely a mellow, easy listening experience for me.
                            Just heard a new track on Radio 6 and a new LP next month Ian.

                            http://www.dragcity.com/news/2015-11...he-high-llamas
                            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just about to say that. Sounded good in that it sounded exactly like the High Llamas.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X