New Phono Cartridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Phono Cartridge

I currently have a Grado DJ100, which is serving me well, installed on my pioneer plx 1000. But I am looking for an upgrade/change.
    I'm looking at the cheaper cartridges available so something so between £60 and £100 is what im looking to spend.

I have made the following short list:

Audio Technica AT120E
    Nagaoka MP110
    Grado Prestige Redo or Green
    Goldring Elektra
    Shure M97XE

If anyone has any input on any of these then please do comment on the experience and why you love/hate it and if you don't use any of these then let me know what you do use and what you recommend.

I have the Audio Technica AT95E and have found it completely satisfactory.

Sorry, no ideas about the others ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

I have the MP110 and I also find it satisfactory. It treats my folkier stuff very nicely and I get a warmer, richer sound than I did with the dj carts I replaced. Most of my records are salvaged from charity shops though so I'm hardly an audiophile.

Again I can't say anything for the others. I opted for the MP110 over the grado greens based on reading reviews but I can't say specifically why.

Comment

I can recommend the Nagaoka and you may be able to find a cheaper deadstock MP10, which is the old name for basically the same cartridge. The AT120 is nice and the much less pricey AT100 is definitely worth a look. Haven't used the others you mentioned.

Comment

hmm, not sure I want to take stylus advice from someone called "skip"!

Comment

Haha, thanks skip, turb and peretti, im not an audiophile myself and the Grado is decent but it gives out a slight hum as it is moved towards the centre of the record which I guess is due to the way the cartridge is designed.

Comment

PM sent but yes MP11=MP110

Comment

First this...
                Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                Is your forum handle meant to deliberately reflect the kind of receptacle your record collection should reside in?
                And now this...
                Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                hmm, not sure I want to take stylus advice from someone called "skip"!
                I think the mods might want to step in on this relentless handle-cism

Comment

I just noticed this thread; Nagaoka gets one more vote. I have the cheaper Nagaoka (MP-100) on my Rega Planar 3 and have noticed that it treats jazz, folk and retro sounds (rock, pop, soul etc) much better than the Elys and the Ortofon that I used to have. I have also bought Nagaoka MP110 which I listened to at a friend's place and also liked.
                  Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie View Post
                    I just noticed this thread; Nagaoka gets one more vote. I have the cheaper Nagaoka (MP-100) on my Rega Planar 3 and have noticed that it treats jazz, folk and retro sounds (rock, pop, soul etc) much better than the Elys and the Ortofon that I used to have. I have also bought Nagaoka MP110 which I listened to at a friend's place and also liked.
                    Cool, I got a NOS Nagaoka MP-10 for 28 quid. Thanks for the input errybody!

Comment

Working...
                    X