RIP Johan Cruyff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Johan Cruyff

I didn't mind a bit of footie when I was a kid. Any chance to watch Johan Cruyff on the telly was never missed. The guy was like a gazelle, and made very good, athletic defenders look pedestrian. Every lad of a certain age remembers that one particular moment of magic against Sweden in the '74 World Cup. Kids everywhere were ending up on their arses in the school playground trying to recreate that one. I don't really follow football nowadays, but it's worth taking a moment to appreciate what, at the time, was a gifted, confident, creative player who has sadly passed away. Best played with the sound off,
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

I have absolutely no interest in football but even I remember Johan Cruyff so he must have been good.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Pele, Bestie, Cruyff.....I found music before the next wave.

Comment

Johan Cruyff took Shredded Wheat by storm in the mid-70s. Me and my brothers got through about two boxes a week, and fought to get the stickers and 3d coaching cards.

It's not really a proper breakfast unless you're reading ghost-written footballing tips from Johan Cruyff in his Barça shirt

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Cruyff was a superb footballer, perhaps the first real 'modern' player. Certainly Barcelona owe much of the reputation they have enjoyed in recent years to his contributions as both player and manager. Watching the showreel that Treeboy posted, it occurred to me that even today, the young Cruyff would walk straight into the starting lineup of any top club....
          you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Never liked Shredded Wheat as a kid. Look what I missed. Different taste buds and I could have been a contender.
            How did you attach your Wembley Trophy ball to the cross bar? Maybe inside a Tesco carrier bag and tie the string through the handles?

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
              How did you attach your Wembley Trophy ball to the cross bar? Maybe inside a Tesco carrier bag and tie the string through the handles?
              You don't understand. It was Johan Cruyff who attached the ball to the crossbar and nutted it for ages in a nylon tracksuit. I just read about it and learned his footballing skills while I was eating shredded wheat.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                You don't understand. It was Johan Cruyff who attached the ball to the crossbar and nutted it for ages in a nylon tracksuit. I just read about it and learned his footballing skills while I was eating shredded wheat.
                Nylon tracksuit?...fly gold chains?...I wonder if Run DMC ate Shredded Wheat for breakfast?
                you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Sorry BC, I shouldn't have said "how did you", I should have said "how does one". Obviously you didn't attempt it yourself, as if you did, you'd be sunning yourself on a large yacht in some secluded bay, watching old videos of your glory days on the pitch. Eating Shredded Wheat of course.

Comment

Working...
                  X