Westerns (for kids these days)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westerns (for kids these days)

So I like a good Western film, and I'm keen to get my 11 yeear old boy into the genre. But he's curently lost in online meme's, youtubers, minecraft & the like and I wonder if westerns are at all relevant to his generation...

I don't want to go straight to the spagetti western stuff much as I like it, I need to win him round and break the ice... so what western do you think might appeal to an 11 year old boy these days?

I was thinking of Silverado... I know, i know... but remember 11 year old boy lost online...

Your thoughts / suggestions please & thank you.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    So I like a good Western film, and I'm keen to get my 11 yeear old boy into the genre. But he's curently lost in online meme's, youtubers, minecraft & the like and I wonder if westerns are at all relevant to his generation...

I don't want to go straight to the spagetti western stuff much as I like it, I need to win him round and break the ice... so what western do you think might appeal to an 11 year old boy these days?

I was thinking of Silverado... I know, i know... but remember 11 year old boy lost online...

Your thoughts / suggestions please & thank you.
    Butch Cassidy is always a good way in isn't it? What about 'Blazing Saddles'- the bean eating scene is bound to appeal to kids and The fast draw never fails to have me guffawing. I'm a huge 'Shane' Fan. I don't think you can beat it.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

The Cowboys with John Wayne is a bit of a favourite here - deliberately aimed at young lads, but surprisingly tough.

My son also enjoyed the remake of 3.10 to Yuma at about that age. It's great stuff, with stark moral themes and a tense shootout.

When he was 11 I sat him down one Sunday afternoon to watch Fistful of Dollars, something I'd been looking forward to for years, only to discover that he'd watched the whole trilogy with his mum while I was gallivanting in Madrid.

Mind you, I bet I've got more fun out of Red Dead Redemption, which he introduced me to, than he has out of any of the Westerns I've shown him.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

'Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here' made a big impression on me when I was younger. I've no idea what a modern 11 year old is like, though. I had my son watching the spaghettis when he was around 7. He went to an infant school fancy dress day as 'The Man With No Name'.

Comment

What about something like Back to the Future III or Shanghai Noon just to whet the appetite? If he likes either of those you can then jump straight into Face to Face and The Great Silence :-)

I was probably the same age when I saw Butch Cassidy and I think that's a great call.

I recently tried to do similar with my 6 year old daughter but with Godzilla movies. It hasn't worked but I have another kid so there is still hope.

Comment

Originally posted by J.R View Post
            you can then jump straight into Face to Face and The Great Silence :-)
            'The Great Silence', phew what a downer. Still, these kids have to learn everything in the garden is not always rosy.

Comment

When I was 11 it was the mid 70s. and I preferred Tarzan, and Toumai the Elephant Boy.
              One of the things that put me off Westerns was the theme songs. It seemed like every Western would begin with some crappy cowboy ballad, usually incorporating the title of the movie in the opening line or chorus, played over the opening sequences. They all sounded like they were written by the same guy. I also couldn't stand James Stewart and he was in loads of westerns on TV back then (I put this down to him doing a lot of bad TV in the 70s, though for years I also confused him with Buddy Ebsen AJA Barnaby Jones who I hated!). Eventually I saw the light.

11 might be a bit young but one of the movie's which 'turned' me was Ulzana's Raid.
              You could also try something like The Naked Spur.
              If the earlier muskets era is not excluded, who can resist Drums Along The Mohawk?
              Or Daniel Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicians?
              I enjoyed the spaghetti westerns a lot but I wouldn't watch one now.
              Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Slow West is great. It's almost age appropriate (it was a 15 cert), and a lot of people get shot in it, but it's really unusual and enjoyable - and its full of Scotsmen.

SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                  One of the things that put me off Westerns was the theme songs. It seemed like every Western would begin with some crappy cowboy ballad, usually incorporating the title of the movie in the opening line or chorus, played over the opening sequences. .
                  Chisum is another of my favourite Duke films. Also Hondo and The Sons of Katie Elder, but I can´t remember if their theme tunes fit the bill.
                  I've been singing this for 40 years, though.

The suicide and torture scenes in Ulzana´s Raid shocked me at 19. Great movie, though.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Thanks guys! Sundance might be the way...
                    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                      Slow West is great. It's almost age appropriate (it was a 15 cert), and a lot of people get shot in it, but it's really unusual and enjoyable - and its full of Scotsmen.

Seconded - great film
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

back to the future 3 got me into westerns.

how about cowboys and aliens? its got cowboys in it.. actually it might be a 15...

and slow west is good.
                        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                          The suicide and torture scenes in Ulzana´s Raid shocked me at 19. Great movie, though.
                          Yer right.
                          When I quickly scanned the movies page on imdb, I saw PG-13, but it turns out thats for another People who liked this also liked... movie. So probably not age appropriate after all, sorry.
                          Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Shane
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                              'The Great Silence', phew what a downer. Still, these kids have to learn everything in the garden is not always rosy.
                              Dunno if 11 year olds are quite ready for Klaus Kinski in full-on scenery-chewing mode!??

How about Support Your Local Sheriff as a light, comic entry into the genre? James Garner is always watchable.

Otherwise I'd go for...

High Noon
                              The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
                              The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
                              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X