Mango lovers alert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mango lovers alert!

So I look after a garden for an elderly couple. He's in his 80s, from India, an MBE no less! We have great conversations about India, touching on everything from religion to wildlife, but especially food. For years he has been banging on about Alphonso mangos. I have never been able to find them. I always pick up any unusual varieties I come across, and we share one, and it's always the same "it's nice, but wait until you try an Alphonso" response. He had a box of Kesa mangos last week, and they were pretty scrummy, so a couple of days later I went to the Indian cash & carry to get some. Couldn't find any mangos at all. Leaving the shop I was asked if I was looking for something in particular. Told them, and was pointed to a small stack of boxes. "Mangos". Brilliant, had a quick shufty, they all looked good, popped the lid back on.....tadah! Alphonso mangos. Bought 2 boxes, one for me, one for my Indian friend. Shot straight round his place and his face lit up when he saw them. He took each one out carefully, inspected them and smelled them. " Yep, they are Alphonsos alright. Not quite ripe yet though". Mine have been sitting on the side in the kitchen waiting for him to give me the thumbs up that they are ready. Went round after work today, and was presented with half of one. Probably the most gorgeous fruit I have ever tasted. They have a very short season, so it really is a case of grab them when you see them. If you have curious taste buds, or just enjoy amazing flavours, do yourself a favour and get yourself some Alphonso mangos.Be quick though, the season is now. King of the mangos? You bet. Honestly, they are amazing.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

I think there's a mango shortage at the moment isn't there. I usually get Mrs SK mango yoghurt but they've not been available for weeks now. Supposedly there will be record levels of Mangoes available from April but this hasn't filtered through yet. It's all due to an early end to the Mexico mango season.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

After last years' embargo on Indian mangos, news of a mango flood is music to my ears. Got to be good'uns though

Comment

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Alphonsos are the food of love and must be shared. Years since I got the chance, though.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I never thought I liked mangos. Some years ago at work a colleague kept pestering me to try some but I wouldn't. Eventually she bought one in and pretty much forced a big chunk into my mouth and made me eat it. It was pretty horrible, as horrible as I thought it might be. But, I chewed it up quickly and swallowed it. Seeing my disgust she took a little sliver for herself, popped it in her mouth then quickly spat it out saying it had gone off. Never eaten one since and avoid anything with mango in it. Not breaking my embargo, even for Alphonso ones

North of the River Cole

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
              I never thought I liked mangos. Some years ago at work a colleague kept pestering me to try some but I wouldn't. Eventually she bought one in and pretty much forced a big chunk into my mouth and made me eat it. It was pretty horrible, as horrible as I thought it might be. But, I chewed it up quickly and swallowed it. Seeing my disgust she took a little sliver for herself, popped it in her mouth then quickly spat it out saying it had gone off. Never eaten one since and avoid anything with mango in it. Not breaking my embargo, even for Alphonso ones
              Mangos can be intense. I went off them for a while because I had one whose flavour seemed almost chemically strong. Bad experiences with food (cheesecake, crystallised ginger, sauerkraut) usually put me off for a couple of years, then I'm ready to start again

Mango salsa with spring onions, peppers, lime juice and coriander is good with a bit of grilled fish
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Upper Tooting Road is a bit of a Mango Mecca.

Shall seek Alphonso.

Comment

Y'know what? I don't think I've ever eaten a Mango outside of a chutney base.
                  Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

I'm salivating at the thought of Babycarts' mango salsa.
                    Now's the time for mangos you mango virgins and naysayers. Should be lovely honey mangos aplenty out there now. But do try an Alphonso.....just once. I had one earlier, sitting on my back doorstep, the new Kikagaku Moyo lp drifting into the garden, and I have to say, it was a bit of a moment

Comment

Very nice. Had to be eaten above the sink.

Beau Brummels was on

Comment

Perfect! Nice box too.

Comment

I have made superhot mango chutney before - a bunch of mangos I forget how many and about 20 scotch bonnets. Was amazing, did last about a year, I did make a lot. I've also made mango eton mess which is self-explantory but bloody delicious. Will keep an eye out for Alphonsos.
                          "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by Xann View Post
                            Very nice. Had to be eaten above the sink.
                            Terry Wogan always used to advise peeling and eating them over the sink whilst naked. Now getting nostalgic for the old Radio Two breakfast show.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                              Perfect! Nice box too.
                              It would have been a mess getting home without it. They're so soft, they give just picking them up.

Lovely rich flesh. Thanks for the pointer.

Now to find a dekopon, king of citrus apparently. Borough Market, perhaps?

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                              Terry Wogan... Now getting nostalgic for the old Radio Two breakfast show.

See if this cheers you up any?

Comment

Working...
                              X