Ultracrepidarianism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultracrepidarianism

The tendency to talk about things of which you know nothing.

Great word. I thought that I would share it.

I see from Wikipedia that it derives from a footwear context. Does that explain the phrase - a phrase that had always puzzled me - 'a load of cobblers'?

No. Cobblers is rhyming slang. Cobblers awls - balls.

Didn´t know that word, though. Zapatero a tus zapatos (Cobbler stick to your shoes) got a lot of use in Spain under President Zapatero.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Great word. I thought there might be a post-punk song called 'She's an ultracrepidarian' but I was wrong. There is, however one by Horsebastard.

https://horsebastards.bandcamp.com/t...tracrepidarian

Paul-K do you know them?
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I was familiar with the rhyming slang explanation. And had never questioned it. But it never rang true. And I like the idea that that might just be a part of the cocknification of the language ("apples and combat" = wombat). The real explanation being somewhat more literary.
        Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 20-09-2016, 06:36 PM. Reason: Editing

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
          Great word. I thought there might be a post-punk song called 'She's an ultracrepidarian' but I was wrong. There is, however one by Horsebastard.

https://horsebastards.bandcamp.com/t...tracrepidarian

Paul-K do you know them?
          I doubt he does- I think he's strictly porcine. I don't think he's even aware of Duckwankers.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Cocknification or cockneyfication?. I must admit to preferring the former. Has Finbar Saunders overtones of neglecting ones personal hygiene
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
            X