Dadsnet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dadsnet

This is the VG+ parenting thread (open to Mums too, but that name's taken)

This morning I banned my 16-year old from taking part in "Hamburger Challenge" offered by a local fast food joint.
    He had set his heart on noshing the giant burger and accompanying bucket of fries within half an hour and has , apparently, "been training all week" to win the €250 prize by drinking litres of water to "stretch my stomach."

He is furious.

AIBU*

*Mumsnet Speak: "Am I Being Unreasonable?
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Ha ha. On one hand, I agree with you, but on the other hand, split the 250 and send him in.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
      Ha ha. On one hand, I agree with you, but on the other hand, split the 250 and send him in.
      Yeah, I could fan him with a menu, give him sips of water, and pump the crowd up.

Nah. I knew he'd never play for England/Spain when he was 5, but Champion Glutton isn´t really much compensation.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

What's his motivation?

Is there a senorita he's trying to impress, a grudge match with a peer, is he just a greedy porker or does he just want the money?

I suspect it's the money he is after, and if it were up to me I would propose a mutually agreeable target to aim for and win the loot... problem is you'll have to pony up. But at least he won't get a taste for fastfood.
        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
          What's his motivation?
          The money. Plus he's been watching Man Vs. Food and various YT clips that celebrate the glamour of competitive gorging.

Are there any 16 yr olds without a taste for fastfood?
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
            The money. Plus he's been watching Man Vs. Food and various YT clips that celebrate the glamour of competitive gorging.

Are there any 16 yr olds without a taste for fastfood?
            back in our day, you had to eat every major item off the macdonalds menu. same thing new generation.
            Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Wait what? I can win 250 for eating a bucket of fries in Spain?
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

You're not being unreasonable. I thought that kind of thing only happened in cartoons.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                  A salient point. Compare it with the rubbishness of Harry Ramsden's Harry's Challenge which only offers a T-shirt, certificate, and blurry picture in the unedifying Harry Ramsden's Harry's Challenge Hall Of Fame Gallery. Personally, I felt blindsided by their inclusion of two large ramekins full of baked beans; I failed.

Comment

that Harrys challenge looks easy. that's Friday night tea. though beans would be out. I cant stand being near baked beans
                    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Seems like everyone is falling at the beans hurdle.

Comment

Am quite happy with proximity to beans. I regret the passing of middle aged men sitting in bath tubs full of cold baked beans for charity. Much better then the gruelling marathons and 'Tough Mudders' that seem to be the rage now.
                        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Completely reasonable. No question.

Programs like that glorify self-abasement. Offers like that trade off of that. Put it those terms to him. And put some real money where your mouth is: offer him a significant reward if he can meet some goal that might actually stand him in good stead in that regard.

Comment

And threaten to beat him if he declines your offer.

Carrot and stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                              This raised my suspicions. The burger bar in question is so small that the prize probably constitutes a couple of days takings, and I doubt they would risk that to the first adolescent with a purposely- distended stomach who walks through the door.

It does not only happen in cartoons, SK. Man Vs Food is a mildly entertaining TV gluttony programme, and Youtube is full of Americans gorging competitively.

Anyway, thanks for your support, everyone. The crisis has been averted and he is onto other projects now, including a youth movement based around Christmas songs.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X