Barrie k sharpes/duffers "cat in the hat"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrie k sharpes/duffers "cat in the hat"

I first heard about funk when the older brothers of schoolfriends started going to "Cat In The Hat". Does anyone know what sort of records were popular at this night? Was it stuff like The Payback and I Believe in Miracles, typical rare groove sounds, or did it go deeper?

I suppose I should be asking this on DeepFunk but I don't like it there.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

i've always wondered this too. there was a really good graphic design book that came out about 1990 with lots of current 'street' influences, and it featured lots of shots of flyers, record labels, artists from the rare groove and funk scene in London, one of which was a 'cat in the hat' flyer, and another with Shaft In Africa on the front.
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Cat in the Hat - wasn't that the night run by the Trevor Madhatter, ie Trevor Nelson!? And put on guests like Chris Phillips, Jay Strongman and the like?

If it is, then no, don't got to the Deepfunk board - they wouldn't have a clue.

The sort of funk that was played there was more along the raregroove scene - I mean, still funk oriented but you'ld be looking at Pleasure, Don Blackman, Maceo, the kind of stuff that made it onto those much hallowed Rare Groove comps.

Ladyboy would be your first stop, followed by poisting the exact same question on his www.djhistory.com website. They're knowledgable souls over there, particularly over this type of thing.

Comment

Cheers, I may try DJHistory.

I'm sure there was a Duffer connection to the night. I seem to remember it being held in a comedy club in the West End circa 86-89 - I could be way out on this.

Jay Strongman had a great radio show. First place I heard Eddie Bo.

Comment

There was a superb Barrie K Sharpe/Diana Brown record called 'Masterplan' that came out in the early 90s - heard it in a few clubs, bought an LP to get it, & found it was a different, less good mix...Still never found the one I first heard! Not an answer to the question, though that track did seem to be big in Nottingham, at nights like 'Jazz In The Box' & at clubs like 'Beatroot', where lots of latin, soul jazz and boogaloo were played alongside funk tracks like Purple Haze, 'Superstition', stuff like Young Disciples, Pucho's 'Got Myself A Good Man', etc etc... Sounds like it might've been a similar scene, but no idea if that helps in the slightest...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Sep. 29 2003,18:12)]I'm sure there was a Duffer connection to the night. I seem to remember it being held in a comedy club in the West End  - I could be way out on this.
            This I do know - Barrie K Sharpe worked for Duffer Of St George...though whether there was a more 'official' link I'm not sure.
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 30 2003,17:13)]There was a superb Barrie K Sharpe/Diana Brown record called 'Masterplan' that came out in the early 90s - heard it in a few clubs, bought an LP to get it, & found it was a different, less good mix...Still never found the one I first heard! Not an answer to the question, though that track did seem to be big in Nottingham, at nights like 'Jazz In The Box' & at clubs like 'Beatroot', where lots of latin, soul jazz and boogaloo were played alongside funk tracks like Purple Haze, 'Superstition', stuff like Young Disciples, Pucho's 'Got Myself A Good Man', etc etc... Sounds like it might've been a similar scene, but no idea if that helps in the slightest...
              someone else who remembers the same stuff... wow... got several versions of this at home, on 45, 12 and LP. it came out a few times, with loads of different mixes. did you hear the later stuff on 13th Tribe, Children of Judah or something?

might pull these out later and have a spin. what's the difference between the mix you heard and the mix on the LP?

anyone got any material by a Manchester outfit called 'secret society' from around the same time?
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Ageing jazz-funksters, eh? I only ever heard the early stuff by Sharpe/Brown (the 'Black, White Yellow & Brown' LP, I think it was called) so no idea about the later things: the mix I heard in clubs had a kind of heavy bells/chimes thing on it and a much harder bassline, wheras the LP version seemed to have been toned down (probably for radio rather than club play?). Met the missus dancing to tunes like that a full decade ago, in fact. Now I do feel bloody old...

Comment

Groundbeat...Damn Right!

I first heard "Masterplan" at a house club in Slough located next to a reservoir. I thought it sounded great at the time but now I'm not so sure. The LP version is differant and just not as good. The B-side to the single is Diane Brown & The Brothers which features young Brand New Heavies doing a cover of "Yes Its You". Not too bad actually.

Barrie K Sharpe was pushing this idea of "Groundbeat" which was his idea of updating funk. After Masterplan I think he lost it. The LP is rubbish but I have'nt listened to it for years so it now may be good.

13th Tribe/Sons of Juddah - Must dig them out and give them another listen. They may now be rare funk!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 30 2003,17:15)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Sep. 29 2003,18:12)]I'm sure there was a Duffer connection to the night. I seem to remember it being held in a comedy club in the West End  - I could be way out on this.
                    This I do know - Barrie K Sharpe worked for Duffer Of St George...though whether there was a more 'official' link I'm not sure.
                    Barrie was one of the duffer founders, no ties nowadays... dunno when he left, maybe around the time when someone er, snuffed it?
                    http://wakeupanddie.com
                    http://weirdgearnyc.com
                    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Sep. 30 2003,17:58)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Barrie was one of the duffer founders, no ties nowadays... dunno when he left, maybe around the time when someone er, snuffed it?
                      Barrie was the 'Duffer of st.George' it was his nickname!

The best live funk band I've ever heard was Barrie K Sharp & Diana Brown @ the Jazz Bop many moons ago they just kicked ass & the drum sound was just right (it rarely is live)...
                      I also saw Diana Brown & the Brothers (later BNH). @ Delerium a
                      great raregroove club.

Sh*t that makes me feel old LOL
                      Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 29 2003,18:00)]there was a really good graphic design book that came out about 1990 with lots of current 'street' influences, and it featured lots of shots of flyers, record labels, artists from the rare groove and funk scene in London, one of which was a 'cat in the hat' flyer, and another with Shaft In Africa on the front.
                        Forgot all about that book till i read the post - "Design after dark" by Cynthia Rose.

To quote the header for the rare groove section - "As clubs like Barry K sharpe and Paul Anderson's ("Trouble" i guess) The Cat in the Hat proliferated, they brought Dancefloor justice to Black DJ's : men like Trevor Shakes"
                        SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Palmer_Eldrich @ Sep. 30 2003,18:09)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Sep. 30 2003,17:58)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Barrie was the 'Duffer of st.George' it was his nickname!

The best live funk band I've ever heard was Barrie K Sharp & Diana Brown @ the Jazz Bop many moons ago they just kicked ass & the drum sound was just right (it rarely is live)...
                          I also saw Diana Brown & the Brothers (later BNH). @ Delerium a
                          great raregroove club.

Sh*t that makes me feel old LOL
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]
                          The best live funk band I've ever heard was Barrie K Sharp & Diana Brown @ the Jazz Bop
                          fuck man that brings back memories. Yeah wasnt the jazz bop those gigs they had down in brighton. Shit man I'm gonna have to did some of those acid jazz tunes out now.
                          Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]someone else who remembers the same stuff... wow... got several versions of this at home, on 45, 12 and LP. it came out a few times, with loads of different mixes. did you hear the later stuff on 13th Tribe, Children of Judah or something?
                            Yeah, the 12" of "Masterplan" had a couple of evil mixes on it - especially liked the meaty bit which they ripped from SDGs "I'm A Man". Will have to dig it out & give it a spin.

The only Children Of Judah item I've got is a promo twelve with mixes of "Two The Bone Lets Get Stoned" on it. Too skanky for my tastes & free to anyone who lays claim to it.
                            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

And did anybody go to the first JB&#39;s reunion concert (and I mean the *first* one) where they had all of &#39;em on stage at the London Forum probably around 1988.

Bobby Byrd, Sweet Charles Sherrell, Vicki Anderson, Marva Whitney, Lyn Collins, Maceo Parker, Pee Wee Ellis, Fred Wesley etc etc oh and the very first London performance of a very young Carleen Anderson.........damn that was an awesome night&#33;&#33;

Well, the support band was Barrie K. Sharpe......gigs you remember like they were yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X