The new unkle album...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new unkle album...

I picked up the new UNKLE album last week and I've been listening to it on and off over the past week. Listening to it all the way through whilst doing the site update tonight got me thinking...

"what do the other Vultures think of it ??"

From what I read on the board there are a lot of Vultures who are old Mo Wax headz... so did you, like me, buy this album almost out of a sense of duty rather than because you were expecting a great follow-up to "Psycience..." ?

Towny's coming round to mine tomorrow night and I dunno whether I should play it to him...!

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Hi,
    Someone put the album on at work the other day and I thought it was OK. I wasn't really liking it as much as some of the older stuff I've heard but I think that tune that uses 'Ball of Confusion' is pretty good.
    I went to see "Unkle Live" at Fabric about a year ago and was naively expecting an appearance from DJ Shadow and maybe even Richard Ashcroft or one of the other vocalists they've worked with. I was a tad gutted when 'Unkle Live' just turned out to be James Lavelle spinning tech-house records for a couple of hours.

Comment

If I was them I wouldn't have put this out as an UNKLE album. I don't think your average UNKLE fan would be into this. Most of the album sounds like that Jeremy Healy track from a few years back. 'Looking out for lo-o-o-ove'. That one. This is not a good thing in my opinion. The bits that don't sound like that are Radiohead wannabe sensitive accoustic 'experimental' soulless pieces of pap. The Iam Brown tack is okay though.

Comment

we've had it at work on promo for a few months now. Total total total total shite. Its horrible. Maybe the last track is the only decent track on it. Basically they've sold out. It sounds like peak time 5 pills down yer neck generic shite.

To be honest the first unkle album is shite too. Lonely soul is possibly the only track I like. Believe me I am a hardcore mo wax head and Ive never liked james lavelle's music or his djing. Stick to running a record label (badly) bud.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

i like most of the first unkle album, and especially the singles they released before it. its thanks to them i got into this whole thing, i still remember the first time i saw the video with ian brown. really moved me.

anyone know if theres gonna be a new portishead? nick ingman playing on that one too?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Devil McDOOM @ Oct. 01 2003,07:21)]anyone know if theres gonna be a new portishead?
            haven&#39;t heard anything meself, its been along time since they released anything .. I was just going to add that attention from that &#39;crew&#39; or fringe crew seems to be directed right now towards the Dyanmo Productions &amp; Katalyst projects - the latter LP has already been remixed &amp; I understand the Dynamo LP is about to recive the same treatment ... Geoff Barrow as you probably know is involved with Invada rekkids which has released them ..

not a huge unkle fan meself - I did find it a bit amusing when I heard that shadow had been pissed off when they were making the first Lp at Lavelle wanting to put rock guitar in on all the tracks   so yeah, no Josh second time around ehh&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (sermad @ Oct. 01 2003,00:34)]we&#39;ve had it at work on promo for a few months now. Total total total total shite. Its horrible. Maybe the last track is the only decent track on it. Basically they&#39;ve sold out. It sounds like peak time 5 pills down yer neck generic shite.

To be honest the first unkle album is shite too. Lonely soul is possibly the only track I like. Believe me I am a hardcore mo wax head and Ive never liked james lavelle&#39;s music or his djing. Stick to running a record label (badly) bud.

To me the initial Mo &#39;Wax 12s were essential purchases - each one being a different kinda sound - but routed in the jazzdance/soul/hip-hop/dub variety.

I thought the first UNKLE tracks were originally done by Lavelle and Tim Goldsworthy - then a few years later the big LP came out with all these &quot;names&quot; working on it - and it being a totally different thing musicallyfrom the early tracks.

Obviously, with all the peeps like Ashcroft/Shadow/that guy from Radiohead/etc - combined with the trendy spin of MoWax - this got a lot of attention. It was a one off. (&amp; funnily enough I think I&#39;ve only listened to it once &#33

So to carry on using UNKLE as a name means nothing as Lavelle is the only consistant factor.

And yes, I reckon he should not bother DJing too - saw him loads back in 93-95 and was dissapointed every time - and from what I&#39;ve heard he&#39;s not improved...miaooow&#33;

There is only the occasional good bit every so often from MoWax - like the Cut Chemist &amp; Format mixes of Return of Original artform a few years back.

Whatever happened to Marden Hill and Palm Skin Productions...?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Oct. 01 2003,08:37)]Whatever happened to Marden Hill and Palm Skin Productions...?
                They went on to do some recordings for Ashley Beedles &#39;Afro Art&#39; label.

One track you must track down if you haven&#39;t heard it is &#39;Bardot&#39; by Marden Hill. Very tongue-in-chic french inspired down tempoer.

BTW if anyone cares for press, NME are supporting the new UNKLE album, big stylee.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Belson @ Oct. 01 2003,08:58)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Oct. 01 2003,08:37)]Whatever happened to Marden Hill and Palm Skin Productions...?
                  They went on to do some recordings for Ashley Beedles &#39;Afro Art&#39; label.

One track you must track down if you haven&#39;t heard it is &#39;Bardot&#39; by Marden Hill. Very tongue-in-chic french inspired down tempoer.

BTW if anyone cares for press, NME are supporting the new UNKLE album, big stylee.
                  Yes, well, I remember when the editor of the NME was a lowly, willing, but pretty clueless Mixmag club editor. That was only a couple of years ago, too. Double meow.
                  http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Oct. 01 2003,09:05)]Yes, well, I remember when the editor of the NME was a lowly, willing, but pretty clueless Mixmag club editor. That was only a couple of years ago, too. Double meow.
                    .......and I&#39;ll join the kitty banter, too. Poop.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Devil McDOOM @ Oct. 01 2003,07:21)]anyone know if theres gonna be a new portishead?
                      I read somewhere around a couple of years ago that they were recording a new LP in Australia.. not heard a thing about it since.
                      Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Marden hill were so dope. So were Federation. The &#39;life so free&#39; remix 10&quot; is just brilliant. There&#39;s a portishead remix on there which is pretty good. Deffo one of my fave mo wax records. Palmskin I think did an album for someone else not sure tho. Hey have you all got the prunes stuff? Its very very good. You can find it in tape exchanges from time to time.

Si your right mate. Unkle were first james lavelle and tim goldsworthy. Apart from ripping off huge chunks of sun ra these early records are nothing special. Basically when you buy a record because it looks cool rather then the music being good...well you know your in trouble. Hey Lemon Jelly are you read this oohhh triple meow.

I heard there was sposed to be a portishead lp this year but I dont see how thats possible. Beth Gibbons is doing solo stuff and I think adrian utley helped out there.
                        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Oct. 01 2003,08:37)]I thought the first UNKLE tracks were originally done by Lavelle and Tim Goldsworthy - then a few years later the big LP came out with all these &quot;names&quot; working on it - and it being a totally different thing musicallyfrom the early tracks.

Obviously, with all the peeps like Ashcroft/Shadow/that guy from Radiohead/etc -   combined with the trendy spin of MoWax - this got a lot of attention.  It was a one off.  (&amp; funnily enough I think I&#39;ve only listened to it once &#33

So to carry on using UNKLE as a name means nothing as Lavelle is the only consistant factor.
                          I realise that but the early stuff was all very hip hop based and obviously when Shadow became involved it was still very hip hop based. The stuff that wasn&#39;t hip hop based was more guitar-y singer/songwriter stuff and that&#39;s the stuff that most people didn&#39;t seem to like. The new album is 50% housey dancey stuff and 50% guitar-y singer/songwriter stuff and I can&#39;t imagine too many UNKLE fans would be into it. Plus the whole Futura artwork thing doesn&#39;t seem to fit that at all.

I actually think the strongest UNKLE stuff was on that first album. &#39;Rabbit In Your Headlights&#39; is pretty stunning. The video was great too. I loved &#39;Lonely Soul&#39; (it&#39;s used to great effect in &#39;Dark Days&#39. &#39;Guns Blazing&#39; is pretty powerful although Kool G Rap&#39;s vocals a kinda cliched. I like &#39;Unreal&#39; a lot too as well as the version they did with Ian Brown (&#39;Be There&#39. I listen to those tracks more than I listen to the earlier stuff although the rest of the album doesn&#39;t really do anything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (sermad @ Oct. 01 2003,10:16)]Si your right mate. Unkle were first james lavelle and tim goldsworthy. Apart from ripping off huge chunks of sun ra these early records are nothing special.
                            Alright Sermad&#33;

A lot of people (me included) like those early tunes - nice psychedelic hip hop with KUDO&#39;s amazing production - im sure him and Goldsworthy did everything.

I heard that the guy from Palmskin p. was in the Bays now, but i dont know all the details.

Comment

I&#39;ve got a Palmskin Productions twelve inch (&#39;Condition Red&#39 on Hut/Virgin.

Comment

Working...
                              X