Acid jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acid jazz

since we started talking about the beginnings of the current funk and library resurgence and some choice releases from the time, what early 'acid jazz' would people recommend?

i'm talking more about the live stuff in the late 80s/early 90s rather than the later stuff.

your starters for 10:
    - first Brand New Heavies LP (the original issue on Acid Jazz)
    - JTQ - Get Organised (apparently JT doesn't like it now, but i think it's one of their best - the playing, arrangements and tunes are excellent)
    - JTQ - Starksy & Hutch (still a stone classic)
    - Barrie K Sharpe/Diana Brown 'Black, white, yellow & brown' LP
    - Noel McCoy & Snowboy - Gimme the sunshine 12"
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Liked it at the time, but find it very hard to like now... too recent to be comfortable with.

But if I had to choose, I'd say the Young Disciples LP. Or maybe some of the tracks from that BNH hip hop record...
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I always thought the best record to come out of the acidjazz period was 'Apparently Nothing' by The Young Disciples. Not the album mix but the original 12". I would also say the YDs LP was the best album to come out from this scene as well.

BNHs 'Elephant' album is a good one.

Something to look out for is Snowboy's 'Astralisation' track which is the B-side to his version of 'Lucky Fellow'. Cosmic soul!
      records - one a week mixcloud
      records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

JTQ - The Money Spyder EP
        The Nighttrains - Killer
        Ulf Sandberg Quartet - Bolivia
        Karl Denson - Blackened Red Snapper
        Izit - Stories
        David Toop - Black Orchid
        Subterraneans - Taurus Woman

Some of the following groups came up with a few goodies;

Cloud 9
        K-Collective
        Quiet Boys
        The Sandals
        Mother Earth
        Emperors New Clothes
        Push (Ernie McKone, the bassist from Galliano's, side project)

and of course.......Snowboy (definitely echo the 'Astralisation/Lucky Fellow cut, featuring Noel McKoy on vox).

Comment

good call, that Push LP is excellent... timeless soulful funk
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Oct. 01 2003,09:31)]But if I had to choose, I'd say the Young Disciples LP. Or maybe some of the tracks from that BNH hip hop record...
            speaking of which, i've been trying to find the original 12 of "step right on" by the young disciples featuring (if memory serves me correctly) mc mello and outlaw posse...anyone got a copy they could part with?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (the bearded one @ Oct. 01 2003,11:11)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Oct. 01 2003,09:31)]But if I had to choose, I'd say the Young Disciples LP. Or maybe some of the tracks from that BNH hip hop record...
              speaking of which, i've been trying to find the original 12 of "step right on" by the young disciples featuring (if memory serves me correctly) mc mello and outlaw posse...anyone got a copy they could part with?
              cant fault any of those already mentioned. Epsecially the ulf sandburg quartet. In fact the whole album is up there imho. I also remember loving :

The Bukky Leo Quartet "Rejoice In Righteousness".
              Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Originally posted by [b
                I was just going to mention that track - your memory serves you well although I don't have a spare unfortunately. It was on the first Talkin Loud compilation LP too, which you might find. If you're in London, The Exchange in Notting Hill always has a fair number of older Talkin Loud promo's / 12's, so you might find a copy there...

Children Of Judah - 'To The Bone (Let's Get Stoned)' is another (Barrie K Sharpe) favourite of mine - still gets a few plays ...
                FunkyDown
                Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Originally posted by [b
                  The one with the "Har You Percussion" cover ?

I'm keepin mine for sentimental reasons.Sorry!

My current YD cut is the Lynch Mob Beats version of Move ON - mashing up Booker T's Hip Hugger organ...

In fact I might bring this along on Thursday - I might be able to grow a goatee by then and wash my white Levis and my skull cap for an 88 revival

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Oct. 01 2003,11:33)]My current YD cut is the Lynch Mob Beats version of Move ON - mashing up Booker T's Hip Hugger organ...

In fact I might bring this along on Thursday - I might be able to grow a goatee by then and wash my white Levis and my skull cap for an 88 revival
                    On some severe 'join the dots' type thread ish here, but I recently copped a 45 called 'It's Soul Man!' by D'Starlights, one of Singapore's most sucessful late 60's acts for their massively supportive home grown audiences. Anyway, there's an absolutely corking version of 'Hip Hug Her' on there! Unbelievably funky, it's the Singapore get down! Will be definitely spinning this one at my next Brillo appearance.

Oh, and I am also currently sporting a goatee. Where's that damn goatee emoticon when you need it?!!
                    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Oct. 01 2003,11:33)]In fact I might bring this along on Thursday - I might be able to grow a goatee by then and wash my white Levis and my skull cap for an 88 revival
                      Will you be wearing your classic brushed red velvet single breasted jacket that you were so fond off, Cheebs?

Comment

I picked up quite a bit of stuff on the AJ label over the years -often for buttons, but some is real crap and not worth the pence.

JTQ are certainly good - they played live in Dublin a few times early on - that was great and opened some people up to funkier sounds - which were totally frowned on in the 80's.

The first 3 Corduroy albums are very enjoyable and I liked Mother Earth stuff a lot as well.

On a more modern dancey end of things the Night Trains and Emperor's New Cloths had some fine moments. But then there was plenty of spank on the label too.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

There were the two 'New Jersey Kings' Lps, as previously discussed on this board, which both had some nice stuff on them (haven't heard 'em for years, though - might not be as up to snuff as memory has me thinking). Odd thing, as I thought the Talkin' Loud/acid jazz stuff was great until I started hearing the OG material, at which point it lost much of its appeal (sounded too clean, slick, bit of a preachy wholefood/new age tone creeping in etc) but gotta give it credit for opening some of those doors, with labels like BGP reissuing all the great Pucho, Purdie, Funk Inc & Mongo Santamaria records they did...
                          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

For me, the 'Classic' AJ tunes are:

Corduroy - Dad Man Cat / High Havoc
                            Mother Earth - People Tree
                            JTQ - Supernatural Feeling / Absolute
                            New Jersey Kings - Stratosphere Breakdown
                            The Apostles - The Apostles
                            BNH - BNH / Original Flava
                            Incognito - Inside Life
                            Galliano - A Joyful Noise Unto The Creator
                            The Young Disciples - Road To Freedom
                            Akimbo - Akimbo
                            The Max - The Present

I've not heard the 'Push' LP but have it on good authority that it's the same people (mostly) from The Max.
                            Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Belson @ Oct. 01 2003,12:02)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Oct. 01 2003,11:33)]In fact I might bring this along on Thursday - I might be able to grow a goatee by then and wash my white Levis and my skull cap for an 88 revival
                              Will you be wearing your classic brushed red velvet single breasted jacket that you were so found off, Cheebs?
                              You know that's only for very special occassions G!

Comment

Working...
                              X