Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds!

Here's what I found:
    George Duke -"Brazilian Love Affair" -I really dig this!
    Michael Jackson -Thriller 12"
    The History of Bahamas -With "Funky Nassau" and "Independent Bahamas" -some top bahamas funk
    Frode Tingnæs -"Feeling Alright" -goes straight to the 'bay..
    Pharaoah Sanders-"Jewels of thought"
    Bill Withers -"Still Bill"
    Rasputin Stash -s/t -what's a fair price for this?

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Oct. 06 2003,09:35)]Rasputin Stash -s/t -what's a fair price for this?
    £15

Comment

I had another weekend that was as dry as a camel's cock.

Charity shops:
      Happy Monsters LP
      Anne Murray LP w/PYHITH
      Edu Lobo - Sergio Mendes Presents... LP
      Plimsoll Sandwich LP (top Suffolk combo of mid 70s massacre contemporay soul hits&#33

Car Boots:
      Another Anne Murray LP w/PYHITH
      Klaus Wunderlich - Hammond Pops 6
      A jazz LP on Avenue that's dedicated to Jersey and features Kenny Wheeler. It sucks.
      Paul Mauriat - Stereo Music Spectacular

Shop:
      Motherlode - When I Die LP

Most of these are destined for my next 'freebies' session in a week or so. But we keep searching, the good stuff is there somewhere, waiting to be rescued by we Jedis of Junk. The Edu Lobo LP is pleasant enough I suppose, shame I didn't find it in June while still in a Brazilian mood though!

And, no, my much-anticipated consignment of KPM LPs STILL hasn't arrived (I keep breaking out into sweats!&#33.

Benicio
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

If you want to get shot of the Ray McVay, I'll give it a good home....

Haven't bought a thing this weekend.....actually, haven't bought a thing for ages. I'm jealous of you lot, I really am!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]Hair - James Last
          One of the best versions IMHO - eye or beardy sleeve?
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Oct. 06 2003,09:35)]Here's what I found:
            George Duke -"Brazilian Love Affair" -I really dig this!
            Great record. I got that when it came out (UK pressing). It was the first jazz-funk 12 inch I ever bought (upstairs at Our Price, Leicester Square).

Comment

Not a bad weekend for me...

Cheapies (a fiver or less):

Renee Geyer Band "Ready to Deal" (ocker niceness)

Solution "Divergence" (beardy Dutchmen liberally re-interpret "Fever" with flute and a LONG wibbly Moog intro - really nice atmospheric tune - rest of the album a bit dodgy but potential is there)

Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills - Super Session (honky blues with some heavy drums and organ at times - heavy cover of "Season of the Witch" but the vocal performance is a bit overstretched)

James Gang - Best Of (breaks and white trash funky rock - shout to Lee for the heads-up on this one)

Grootna - S/T (one-tracker - "I'm Funky" - slow and heavy funk/rock with nice female vocal, she sounds a bit like Julie Driscoll)

Audio Create vol 3. - Sonic Submarine (Japanese instrumental thing from '79 - strange choice of covers including a terrible "Bohemian Rhapsody" - but there is a tune by a Japanese composer on here that is pretty good - shout to 70s Kid for hipping me that there might be something decent on here)

Manfred Mann Earth Band - Glorified Magnified (some open snares and kicks with a very nicely produced sound - musically not too exciting)

Electra Glide in Blue OST ($5? Somebody fucked up, but I'm not complaining)

Some 80s joint I forgot the name of with keyboard bass and handclaps. Can't resist the handclaps.

+ a copies of "MF Horn 3" and "Studio One Hits" (old NZ comp) for Lee...

Real money:

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats ($20 - thanks to everyone who responded to my Zappa query a while back - I'm feeling this)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills - Super Session (honky blues with some heavy drums and organ at times - heavy cover of "Season of the Witch" but the vocal performance is a bit overstretched)
                Weird, I picked up a copy of this at the weekend too!  Way too self-indulgent for my currently shallow state of mind but liking the phazed/flanged cover of "You Don't Love Me" a lot.

Also picked up from a High St shop, a charity shop & a boot in no particular order:

Unknown Stuntman 7  - My Massive Hip Hop Cock.  Um, yes.
                Dr Rubberfunk 12 - Bossa For The Devil. Liking "The Cookie" best.
                BBC Records LP - Step This Way. Hilarious Peggy Spenser instructed 'How to dance disco' etc from '79.
                A bunch of Trojan 45s
                Crash & Carry Sampler 12 - dunno the tracks as its a whitey - basically fruity breakbeat stuff.
                Swankenstein 12 - Wreck'em.  Real fast-paced hiphopper with a "Champ" sample.  Yeah, original, I know...
                American Gypsy 7 - Angel Eyes. Tasty mid-70s breakbeat action.
                Slim Harpo 7 - Shake Your Hips.  His best R&B shagdown!
                Davis & Tyler - Hold On Help Is On The Way.  Looks & sounds like a booted Wigan stomper.
                Best til last: The Playaway LP - signed by Brian Cant!!!
                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Oct. 07 2003,10:33)]Best til last: The Playaway LP - signed by Brian Cant&#33;&#33;&#33;
                  NOOOO&#33; how much do you want for it? 100? 200? name your price&#33; you know it&#39;s going to Chelmsford&#33;
                  http://www.blaxploitation.com
                  Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Quote (Col Wolfe @ Oct. 07 2003,10:33)
                    Best til last: The Playaway LP - signed by Brian Cant&#33;&#33;&#33;

NOOOO&#33; how much do you want for it? 100? 200? name your price&#33; you know it&#39;s going to Chelmsford&#33;
                    It&#39;s priceless mate and as a Suffolk treasure (only second to Sutton Hoo) I cannot allow it to travel South of the border. Hell, as I&#39;m currently living in Norwich I have left at my parents address in Bury St Edmunds. By the people for the people...

Recommended carboot for people who want to go somewhere different: Woolpit on the A14 near Stowmarket. A quiet one this weekend but I&#39;ve got most of my Conroys from there plus an Oak acetate which I sold for big moolah a couple of years ago.
                    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Only went to the Co-Op for a pint of milk &amp; some brocolli &amp; peered into the local house clearance place to glimpse a stack of LPs. Picked up...

Mahalia Jackson: Newport 1958 (Philips) [live gospel set]
                      King Pleasure: The Source (Prestige) [dbl]
                      Dionne Warwick: The Magic Of Believing (Scepter) [gospel set w/Drinkard Singers]
                      Dionne Warwick: Valley Of The Dolls (Sceptre)
                      Chuck Folds: s/t (RCA) [1974 Jazz trio set]
                      Barney Kessell/Stephane Grappelli: I Remember Django (Black Lion)
                      Dexter Gordon: Monmartre Collection Vol.1 (Black Lion)
                      Temptations: Live&#33; (Tamla Motown)
                      Jimmy McGriff: Red Beans (Groove Merchant)
                      Frank Sinatra: Sinatra &amp; Company (Reprise)
                      Dizzy Gillespie: Something Old, Something New (Philips)

Then the conversation went something like:

&quot;How much are your records mate?&quot;

&quot;£2 each&quot;

&quot;OK, I&#39;ll sort through these&quot;

&quot;How many you got?&quot;

&quot;10 or 11, I&#39;ll check through &#39;em&quot;

&quot;Call it a fiver the lot then&quot;

&quot;Uh, okay...&quot;

a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Oct. 07 2003,10:33)]Also picked up from a High St shop, a charity shop &amp; a boot in no particular order:

Dr Rubberfunk 12 - Bossa For The Devil. Liking &quot;The Cookie&quot; best.
                        I hope that was from a boot fair

Glad you&#39;re feeling the cookie

R&#39;Funk
                        FunkyDown
                        Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (formigo @ Oct. 07 2003,05:43)]&quot;Studio One Hits&quot; (old NZ comp)
                          I think I&#39;ve got one of the few copies of this that escaped to England - best track is &#39;Tellabout&#39; by Toni Williams, a song about an Australian soldier in Vietnam who ends up in a wheelchair, but with a highly inappropriate jaunty big-band backing&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Oct. 06 2003,09:35)]The History of Bahamas -With &quot;Funky Nassau&quot; and &quot;Independent Bahamas&quot; -some top bahamas funk
                            That&#39;s a great record...
                            http://wakeupanddie.com
                            http://weirdgearnyc.com
                            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

having an utterly shit week so far for various reasons, but am slightly cheered up after a charity visit this lunchtime:

Bjork - 1st album
                              Jackie Mittoo in London (Studio 1)
                              Mikey Dread - Dread at the Controls (spare)
                              Inner Circle - Reggae Thing (&#39;Tired Fe Lick Weed Inna Bush&#39
                              Congo Ashanti Roy (the Congos bloke i think, prod by Prince Far I)
                              T-Connection (with &#39;At Midnight&#39
                              Gil Scott Heron - Moving Target
                              Nina Simone - Baltimore

and some 12&quot;s including an 80s version of Funky Nassau (wonder if it&#39;s any good).

Comment

Working...
                              X