What new music is good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What new music is good

Sometimes I get worried that I spend too much time on old vinyl. I have a fear that I am missing out on some beautiful new music.

One new genre I am interested in is this thing called 'broken beat'. I was under the impression that its a mixture of electronic soul jazz and interesting drum patterns. This sounds good to me.

Unfortunately from what I've heard I have not been impressed. I liked a track called 'LooseLips' and some other stuff this Seji bloke has done but otherwise if leaves me shuggin my shoulders.

As people on this board seem to have good taste, what new stuff whatever the genre should I be looking out for? I'm not really interested in the retro funk stuff.

Cheers my dears.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

Styles Of Beyond - Megadef is some hip hop goodness.

The Neptunes - Clones is also some hip hop goodness.

Martina Topley-Bird - Quixotic is double def fresh (sorry Ben).

Comment

OK - a few for starters, tracks that are buttering the muffin.

Pimp Daddy Nash - It's a wonderful life
      Rehash - No 4
      Meaty Ogre - Lift you load
      Break Reform - Fractures (album)
      Low Budget Soul - Fills my heart
      Zimpala - The breeze is black
      Max Sedgely - Slowly
      Visioneers - World is yours
      The Rebirth - This journey in
      Soul Slice - Angies Suite
      D'Nell - This thing
      Natalie Gardiner - Going down slow
      Dante Carfagna - Memphix Rising (album)
      Amp Fiddler - You bring my vibes

Many more, but this little lot steers you away from that broken beat stuff - this is mostly jazz oriented stuff, from downbeat to a housier tempo. Everything is on 12" barring the album vinyl.

Comment

Ive got a stack of stuff to review. Ive been well slack. New stuff Im feeling. Check out the electric soul mix by the unabombers. There is a sampler for this floating around and it is lovely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music....l.shtml

The new stuff on tru thoughts is excellent - the tm juke 12" is great.

For broken beat I like 'jaga jazzists' on ninja tune. They are from norway (I think). Very cool like jazz with dancefloor appeal.

London Electricity are good for the jazz/broken beat/drum n bass fusion.

More when I get home.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Cheers for the suggestions. I have a few of those recommended (I really like the Visioneers track..4 Hero&#39;s Dego I believe) but will investigate those I don&#39;t.
          records - one a week mixcloud
          records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

I really like some of the broken beat stuff. If you have heard the Loose Lips, then I think is indicative of where it&#39;s going generally, though I think it&#39;s one of the best (if not THE) of the genre.

However, Solid Grooves are doing some good stuff. There&#39;s:
            Solid Grooves - Flookin&#39; (Lounging)
            And also by them (under another name):
            Modeller (Er, I&#39;ve forgotten the title and it&#39;s in my car boot). Anyhow, I&#39;ll post it later, but it&#39;s worth noting for the great breakdown incolving a needle being scratched across the groove a la drunk DJ mistake. Always gets a funny look.
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Hey man, check out the Detroit scene (not all &#39;bangin&#39; techno, i can assure you&#33 there&#39;s lots going on over there at the moment, with the likes of the sublime Moodyman (new 12 in shops now&#33 Keith Tucker, Octave one, Kerri Chandler, the Underground Resistance stable, much Hip Hop business, and generally lots of good underground stuff that never gets a mention in yer &#39;tastemaker&#39; style mags.
              Just do a search for Submerge.com and this should point youse in the right direction. As other boardmembers know, i&#39;m always payin&#39; dues to tha D on this site, and will continue to do so&#33;. later.
              derelicts of dialect

Comment

most of the new stuff I listen to is two turns off hip hop

so you have prefuse 73 (warp) &amp; his sidekick Dabrye
                super-produced hip hop LPs like the Neptunes or on a more &#39;underground&#39; tip Soul Purpose
                the downtempo grooves of Express Rising (memphix) and Rehash as Belson mentioned
                or dirty south electro hip hop like the hollertronix mix CD at Turntablelab
                then madlibs looping fuzzed out style, shades of blue and the new jaylib LP

hopefully some of these are up your alley

Comment

some hip hop goodness worth checking out:

Viktor Vaughn-Vaudeville Villian:If you&#39;re familiar with his other side project King Geedorah on Big Dada then this is worth getting. A little bit of the same with less emphasis on lo-fi b-movie samples.

Lyrics Born-Later That Day...: the latest release from the Quannum crew. I like the way this guy flows, plus you can&#39;t go wrong with contributions from the Gift of Gab, Joya Velarde &amp; Cut Chemist. Funkier than James Brown.

Soul Position-8 Million Stories: More RJD2 goodness. I have to say, it&#39;s not that bad. I kind of thought RJD2 was starting to spread himself a bit thin but he definitely delivers the goods on this one. more soulful hip hop that&#39;ll make you groove.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (mech1 @ Oct. 08 2003,03:18)]Lyrics Born-Later That Day...:
                    good looking
                    just came up on a story about him &amp; his new LP:

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0341/christgau.php

the soul position sounds good too

Comment

Some delightful new wax I can wholesomely recommend:

Nobody &#39;Pacific Drift&#39; LP (Ubiquity)
                      Bonobo &#39;Flutter&#39; 12&quot; (Ninja Tune) - Amazing Four Tet remix on here&#33;
                      Soel &#39;Le Vitcome&#39; 7&quot; (Warner Jazz)
                      DJ Format &#39;Viscious Battle Raps&#39; 12&quot;
                      Pablo &#39;Cissy Strut&#39; 7&quot; (Red Hook)
                      V/A &#39;Vintage Beats For the Connoisseur&#39; 12&quot; (Jacques Laverne)
                      Ammon Contact &#39;Beat Tape Personalities&#39; 12&quot; (Soul Jazz)
                      Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

The new Outkast album too. I &lt;3 the new Outkast album.

Comment

left hand corner, just wondering if you scooped any of the vultures tips? opinions etc

I&#39;m feeling rather optomistic about new/recent releases at the moment - I reckon theres lots of quality stuff around. I&#39;ll add a few more suggestions for those ever expanding lists

Five deez - Kinkinasti on K7&#33; (the instrumental will be a smoker)
                          the new Prunes Ep on Jazzfudge
                          Jel - Meat and Oil EP on Mush

Comment

you should also check out:

Psychonauts-Songs For Creatures (Gigolo Records) A nice mixture of electronics and some light rock vibes. one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

Ghislain Poirier-Beats As Politics (Chocolate Industries). a lot of people are making the Prefuse 73 comparison but I think his production is more like DJ Vadim &amp; TTC. Quality beats but unfortunately the lp is too short...only 36 minutes long.

Various-The 45&#39;s (Puma Strut). nice hip hop breaks and beats. reminds me of the old comps that were put out by New Breed back in &#39;95-&#39;96.

TM Juke-Maps From The Wilderness (Tru Thoughts). the label of the hour.  similar to Bonobo with more vocalists.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (mundayschild @ Oct. 08 2003,01:04)]Hey man, check out the Detroit scene (not all &#39;bangin&#39; techno, i can assure you&#33 there&#39;s lots going on over there at the moment, with the likes of the sublime Moodyman (new 12 in shops now&#33 Keith Tucker, Octave one, Kerri Chandler, the Underground Resistance stable, much Hip Hop business, and generally lots of good underground stuff that never gets a mention in yer &#39;tastemaker&#39; style mags.
                              Just do a search for Submerge.com and this should point youse in the right direction. As other boardmembers know, i&#39;m always payin&#39; dues to tha D on this site, and will continue to do so&#33;. later.
                              WORD.
                              Whats you&#39;re style ?

Comment

Working...
                              X