Demis roussos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demis roussos

i was deejaying in belgrade at the weekend and took the opportunity to pick up a few vinyls... i'm sure i remember reading on this board that there was a funky track on a demis roussos record and i thought it was on the one i picked up for a quid. now i'm beginning to think that i

a) imagined it
    b) couldn't spot a funky demis roussos track even if it was on a king 45
    c) am victim of a beat diggers joke a la "endless flight" by leo sayer

does anyone know what i am on about???

by the way, i've been off the board for so long just cos i've been too busy... :-( glad to see the same faces are still here!

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]c) am victim of a beat diggers joke a la "endless flight" by leo sayer
    'Endless Flight' has a Gang Starr sample on it.

Comment

i knew it... i've been set up... my credibility is out the window... I'M FINISHED! the worst thing is that i was telling lubi jovanovic (straight no chaser, dig&#33 who was with me at the time that it had a funky track on it honest...

Comment

I have a Demis French tv soundtrack 45 that on the B-side has a flute filled chase theme. Its nothing special. I did try to trade it a few months back on this very site but got no takers.
        records - one a week mixcloud
        records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (teticio @ Oct. 07 2003,15:36)]i was deejaying in belgrade at the weekend and took the opportunity to pick up a few vinyls... i'm sure i remember reading on this board that there was a funky track on a demis roussos record and i thought it was on the one i picked up for a quid. now i'm beginning to think that i

a) imagined it
          b) couldn't spot a funky demis roussos track even if it was on a king 45
          c) am victim of a beat diggers joke a la "endless flight" by leo sayer

does anyone know what i am on about???

by the way, i've been off the board for so long just cos i've been too busy... :-( glad to see the same faces are still here!
          One of his LPs has a track called "l.o.v.e. gotta hold me" (or something like that) which is quite a good loft-type disco record. the cover's got a drawing of him with naked girls entwined in his beard.

there's an earlier lp called "fire and ice" (?) which has probably been discussed here - its basically prog rock with a few funky-ish moments.
          Endless Tripe

Comment

aaahh that's it then. i remembered the "fire and ice" thing (and that was the album i bought but on listening i was a bit, er, disappointed) and then i had a vague memory of a track with "love" in the title. that's enough demis roussos for me i think.... still, i'll give it a proper listen when i get home - i only skipped through on a soundburger in a cafe nearby. thanks son of stan memory man!

Comment

But if you 'Souvenirs' for not too much pick that up. I reckon it's the best of the bunch - three decent tracks.
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

wotcha Teticio ! long time !

There is a few Demis bits worth picking up IMO. First you've got his Loft classic "L.O.V.E. got a hold on me" from his Self titled LP (and on a very in demand promo 12&quot. Not a funky track but avin' it large on a boogie/disco tip

Then theres that different version of "Let it happen" which i actually like as much as the Vangelis one. Again, not funk but has a certain charm.

They are the only 2 i can personally handle !
                SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (TOWNY @ Oct. 07 2003,17:02)]wotcha Teticio ! long time !

There is a few Demis bits worth picking up IMO. First you've got his Loft classic "L.O.V.E. got a hold on me" from his Self titled LP (and on a very in demand promo 12&quot. Not a funky track but avin' it large on a boogie/disco tip

Then theres that different version of "Let it happen" which i actually like as much as the Vangelis one. Again, not funk but has a certain charm.

They are the only 2 i can personally handle !
                  hi towny

i know, its been ages... spreading myself too thin and neglecting my fellow diggers! i was just reading your chart today - reminds me of when i used to go round your house and you'd pull out the maddest records...

anyway, thanks for the tip. at least i know i wasn't imagining it. alzheimers hasn't set in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Oct. 07 2003,15:59)]But if you 'Souvenirs' for not too much pick that up.  I reckon it's the best of the bunch - three decent tracks.
                    Ditto what everyone has said about L.O.V.E Gotta Hold On Me. If you find the 12, check out the B-side, that's a Norman Jay favourite (can't remember the title offhand).

Also, I'd agree with Rich about Souvenirs, although I'd say there were two good tracks on it, one of which has badly recorded drums so you couldn't play it in a club. Both really good, though.

The Magic of Demis Roussos has his version of Let It Happen, as towny mentioned, but it also has I Dig You, which is a DJ Harvey favourite.

There's also the Aphrodite's Child stuff, which I don't know much about.

The flutey chase theme is called Le Jeune Fabre, isn't it?
                    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Oct. 07 2003,15:59)]But if you 'Souvenirs' for not too much pick that up.  I reckon it's the best of the bunch - three decent tracks.
                      Ditto what everyone has said about L.O.V.E Gotta Hold On Me. If you find the 12, check out the B-side, that's a Norman Jay favourite (can't remember the title offhand).

Also, I'd agree with Rich about Souvenirs, although I'd say there were two good tracks on it, one of which has badly recorded drums so you couldn't play it in a club. Both really good, though.

There's also the Aphrodite's Child stuff, which I don't know much about.

The flutey chase theme is called Le Jeune Fabre, isn't it?
                      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]The flutey chase theme is called Le Jeune Fabre, isn't it?
                        Yes I believe that's the title - at work so cannot check.
                        records - one a week mixcloud
                        records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]There's also the Aphrodite's Child stuff, which I don't know much about.
                          Yeah, their "Magic Mirror" is a heavy beat dancer of magnificent proportions - just my cup of tea & a nice cheapy off ebay (pay no more than a tenner&#33.

"Don't Try To Catch A River" is the expensive one that psych fans want - quite a long track for a 45 release but not half as smart as the aforementioned.
                          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

We just keep coming back to this Demis chestnut.
                            To help spread the word, I have a sleeveless &quot;Souvenirs&quot; which someone can have for free, plus I keep passing over a copy in a charity shop which will set you back a quid-level trade (but it has a sleeve). Speaking of which there&#39;s a BK &quot;Mambo Mania&quot; there too. And a Power &amp; The Glory. ... Anyway perhaps it;&#39;s time I put a new trades list together.
                            It ain&#39;t shakey

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Oct. 07 2003,15:59)]But if you &#39;Souvenirs&#39; for not too much pick that up.  I reckon it&#39;s the best of the bunch - three decent tracks.
                              Yeah, I got this... the instrumentation is good on some tracks, but dammit, I just can&#39;t handle the man&#39;s singing...

Comment

Working...
                              X